Wild Cat

J

jaybeeztoo

There is a wild cat that lives in my neighborhood and a couple of months ago, she started visiting my back deck. I spent days and weeks working with her trying to tame her. I left food and drink out there for her and she came when I called for her. She would sit on the deck with me in the morning while I had my coffee and enjoy her food and drink. Some days should would lay down and stretch out in the sun. I felt she was really beginning to trust me or at least feel comfortable in my presence.

Well, it turns out she had kittens at the neighbor's house under the shed and they had reached the age of adventure. One little black one that looks like the momma would come into my driveway and hide in the car engine :sad: Well, one day, after banging on the hood and opening it to make sure the kitten wasn't in there...the engine was started and you can guess the rest. :dead:

It's almost like momma cat knew her kitten had been killed. She stopped coming around for about a month. She has since returned but is very skittish again and I felt I was starting from square one in my attempts to get her to trust me. (I want to catch her so I can at least get her fixed.)

Well, one evening (just a few days ago) I was sitting on the couch watching some tv and I had the back door open. I looked over and saw the momma cat just come prancing through the door and she looked around the general area until she caught sight of humans sitting in the living room. I thought it was the funniest thing. :lol:

Even more funny was the way she would run with food when her kitten(s) were little and relied on her for food. I would leave a piece of lunch meat in her bowl and she would grab it, hold her head up like the Queen of Sheeba and take off to whereever she had her kitten(s) hiding.

I hope she learns to trust me a bit more so I can catch her and at least get her fixed otherwise the neighborhood is going to be overrun with feral cats. She really is a beauty. She is all black with two white back paws and white under her chin with big beautiful green eyes. Her picture doesn't do her justice, but it's the best I have right now. She looks a bit demonic in this picture.

Anyway, just felt like rambling...enjoy the demon picture...

Attachments

• Cat.jpg
    Cat.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited by a moderator:

nobody really

I need a nap
That is so sweet of you to do that. I love cats, have two and one dog. I still leave food out for this one huge tabby that comes around. I was always "adopting" stray kittens from the alley behind my unlces house in philadelphia.

J

jaybeeztoo

beachcat said:
That is so sweet of you to do that. I love cats, have two and one dog. I still leave food out for this one huge tabby that comes around. I was always "adopting" stray kittens from the alley behind my unlces house in philadelphia.

I am not allowed to "have" any pets where I live, but I don't think this really counts. I just want to help her. She is either really fat from eating all over the neighbor or she is pregnant again. I just wish I could catch her and fix her. She would tear me up though I am sure.

She is so pretty. One day I'll have a place with many, many animals. It's in my blood. It kills me being here and not being able to have any...all the ones that get posted here needing homes and I can't do anything. :ohwell:

I

Inkpen

I would be more than happy to come and help you trap her...
Get her fully vetted, trap kittens, do the same, and you can return the femle to the wild and perhaps get kittens placed..if not, they can be returned with momma...
What county are you in?

J

jaybeeztoo

keekee said:
You can also borrow a trap from most rescue groups... if Inkpen doesn't live close to you.

I think my ex DH still has the trap we used to catch the racoons at the barn. I can check with him.

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
beatiful cat, coincidentally the full Harvest Moon was in full show this week, perfect timing to post that pic! LOVE the eyes :evil: I'd have to lock my bedroom door if that cat was in the house (haha) You never know-- might be a :crazy: cat, full moon & all. Leave lots of food around.

Good luck!

J

jaybeeztoo

kbeachcat123 said:
beatiful cat, coincidentally the full Harvest Moon was in full show this week, perfect timing to post that pic! LOVE the eyes :evil: I'd have to lock my bedroom door if that cat was in the house (haha) You never know-- might be a :crazy: cat, full moon & all. Leave lots of food around.

Good luck!

:lmao: She only came inside the one day when she thought no one was looking. Hmmm, full moon and a black cat...maybe that explains a few things. :lol:

J

jaybeeztoo

kbeachcat123 said:
The eyes have it! Oh, by the way, happy belated :bday: from one virgo-girl to another! :huggy:

Well, thank you :biggrin: fellow virgo-girl.

The eyes look nothing like the picture...that is my failed attempt of trying to take a picture :lmao: She has beautiful green eyes. Maybe one day I'll get a better picture of her. :ohwell:

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Thank you for your kindness jaybeeztoo! :huggy:
Out here in the county I have several feral cats on the property-I put food out for em and watch some of their antics-it's odd though, I've never seen any kittens-I've looked hi n low. The don't come too close to the house 'cause of all the dogs (6 as of Thurs.), but they do their job catching mice and moles. :yay:

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
jaybeeztoo said:
Well, thank you :biggrin: fellow virgo-girl.

The eyes look nothing like the picture...that is my failed attempt of trying to take a picture :lmao: She has beautiful green eyes. Maybe one day I'll get a better picture of her. :ohwell:

:howdy: I was joking about her eyes, she is a beautiful cat, and the reason she might be skittish is because females usually move their kittens around (for safety reasons). I would guess that once you gain her trust she'll bring them to you to show them off, like a proud momma.

I've had cats all my life (I'm now 44) and have learned all their habits.

As you probably know, cats train YOU, and cats adopt you. Quite opposite of a dog.

Hope she's doing good, just leave food & water out and make sure she sees you putting it out. She'll make the connection: Food, you. Safety, you.

Good luck!

action jackson

I hope you can catch them and at least have them "fixed"
Maybe a local vet would work with you. Or an animal rescue.
Thank yo for feeding her and the youngsters!

J

jaybeeztoo

kbeachcat123 said:
:howdy: I was joking about her eyes, she is a beautiful cat, and the reason she might be skittish is because females usually move their kittens around (for safety reasons). I would guess that once you gain her trust she'll bring them to you to show them off, like a proud momma.

I've had cats all my life (I'm now 44) and have learned all their habits.

As you probably know, cats train YOU, and cats adopt you. Quite opposite of a dog.

Hope she's doing good, just leave food & water out and make sure she sees you putting it out. She'll make the connection: Food, you. Safety, you.

Good luck!

I haven't seen her since yesterday morning :ohwell: I'm sure she'll be around again though.

I don't think there are any more kittens or if there are, they have wondered off and found their own "homes".

I wish she would warm up to me. I've never touched her. Like I said, she'll come sit on the deck with me while I have my coffee or in the afternoon to bask in the sun.

I will continue my hunt for her and when trapped, she will be vetted and fixed. Maybe that will calm her down some too.

J

jaybeeztoo

I would be more than happy to come and help you trap her...
Get her fully vetted, trap kittens, do the same, and you can return the femle to the wild and perhaps get kittens placed..if not, they can be returned with momma...
What county are you in?

BUMP.

It's the same cat in the picture that you offered to help trap. Remember this thread?

Four of the five pictures are rabid animals? :confused: Three of the pictures are of cats, two of which showed up today but in the pictures neither are eating, they are simply sitting on my deck...and the other that I previously posted about in this thread, wherein you offered to help.

I will catch the cat that I am attempting to tame and have her fixed. As far as the rest of the wildlife in the woods, I have no control over them and whether they venture on my deck. The coons were there with no food. Yes, the possum was eating catfood, but I had only left it out there since I hadn't seen "my" cat since all the rain.

Get off your high horse and decide if you are really willing to help people help animals or if you are just out there to trash those that are trying.

I

Inkpen

BUMP.

It's the same cat in the picture that you offered to help trap. Remember this thread?

Four of the five pictures are rabid animals? :confused: Three of the pictures are of cats, two of which showed up today but in the pictures neither are eating, they are simply sitting on my deck...and the other that I previously posted about in this thread, wherein you offered to help.

I will catch the cat that I am attempting to tame and have her fixed. As far as the rest of the wildlife in the woods, I have no control over them and whether they venture on my deck. The coons were there with no food. Yes, the possum was eating catfood, but I had only left it out there since I hadn't seen "my" cat since all the rain.

Get off your high horse and decide if you are really willing to help people help animals or if you are just out there to trash those that are trying.

I offered help a month ago and you never asked or took up the offer.

Cats, coons, foxes are all high on the rabies list. Opossums are lower due to the fact they have a lower body temp.
You put out food, and the animals will find it..and will find the spot where the food was.

I am NOT trashing you...I did offer help and you did not bother to act..a month ago, and you are still feeding these cats..sounds like you dont want help...

I have to stay on my high horse to educate people about the dangers of rabies and the feeding of wild animals.

But if you think I am trying to trash you or your post..call DNR and ask them how smart it is to feed wildlife...

And by feeding a cat on your deck..it is YOUR cat.

And others here offered you help and you did not follow thru with them.

Trap them or stop feeding them.