Southern Maryland Slang

mrweb

Iron City
Kid has an assignment in H.S. to report on typical SOMD slang (colloquial) language. I searched the posts but couldn't find much, albeit I am too tired to search the 100 hits on my search. I'm looking for some quick help so I can finish my work and help my H.S. Jr.

Green to all who help.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
JoJo: Fried potato wedges
Up in Frederick, they had potato wedges at the lunch counter and I told the gal, "I'll have some of those JoJo fries." She looked at me like I was nuts - had no idea what I was talking about.

Steamer: Sloppy joe
Although this may be a Maryland thing, but the first time I ever heard somebody call a sloppy joe a "steamer" was down here.

And of course there's:

"De by gawd"

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
JoJo: Fried potato wedges
Up in Frederick, they had potato wedges at the lunch counter and I told the gal, "I'll have some of those JoJo fries." She looked at me like I was nuts - had no idea what I was talking about.

Steamer: Sloppy joe
Although this may be a Maryland thing, but the first time I ever heard somebody call a sloppy joe a "steamer" was down here.

And of course there's:

"De by gawd"
:nono: I don't know where the heck you heard these phrases down here, but they were uttered by a bunch of fer-a-ners. No one from down here says "JoJo fries" or "steamers". :nono:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Nati Bo - meaning our Baltimore favorite National Bohemian beer (no i don't drink that nasty stuff).

Up the road - meaning anywhere but here.

The Square - meaning St. Mary's Square Shopping Center.

The Park - meaning Lexington Park.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:nono: I don't know where the heck you heard these phrases down here, but they were uttered by a bunch of fer-a-ners. No one from down here says "JoJo fries" or "steamers". :nono:

Now you're just playing around. Mattingly's used to have JoJo fries in their hot deli, and they would occasionally have steamers as well.

onebdzee

off the shelf

in the 7th they do

they also say "I'm like you"
truck driver: I think the beans aren't going to do well this year
farmer: I'm like you

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Going to 'town = going to Leonardtown
Going to the Park = going to Lexington Park

and calling a Sloppy Joe a "Steamer" is Urban Slang usually reserved for something else, but somewhat the same in appearance.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Now you're just playing around. Mattingly's used to have JoJo fries in their hot deli, and they would occasionally have steamers as well.

Tennysons and Abells have both....just ask Mikey :biggrin:

how about....

dowg....dog
koow....cow
kaan....corn
earl....oil
howg....hog