Parent Advocate

goldielocks7

Hello.
Would anybody know how I can obtain information of how I can get in contact with a parent advocate for my oldest son that has a IEP and is in middle school? Thanks

Last edited:

Debbie92454

Contact his school and ask for a list of parent advocates. someone there should be able to put you in touch with the best person to help you out.

A

amotley

i was going to say the same thing, contact the principle or iep teacher and they should be able to give you that info or take your number and have them get in touch with you

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hello.
Would anybody know how I can obtain information of how I can get in contact with a parent advocate for my oldest son that has a IEP and is in middle school? Thanks

Not sure what county you're in, but in Calvert, within the IEP, I'm not sure of the name of the page (I'm sorry I don't remember, and don't have it out right now), but on one of the pages where services are listed there is a new box at the bottom where it lists a few contacts/numbers for parent advocacy help. [this could be new - I only recently knew of it being there & thought I really scrutinized the IEP]

The LDA (Learning Disability Ass'n) in Calvert county is one of the numbers listed. They have people who can direct you for sure. I think they may even be able to attend IEP meetings with you. Call them at: 410-257-7511
or email at: calvertlda@aol.com

Bann

PREMO Member
Calvert SECAC

This informatiion was passed along to me recently, so I thought I would pass it on here in case anyone might be interested.

Attachments

• The Calvert County Special Education Citizen's Advisory Committee Announcement.doc
    23 KB · Views: 78

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Hello.

Along with the paperwork for the IEP is a handbook that must be given to all parents. I believe that will contain the information needed.

S

Special_K44

If you are in Charles County - call CCBOE and speak to your schools PPW or call Marsha Diaz at 301-392 - 7508.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm not sure if the schools provide a referral service but you might try a Google search. I use to know someone who did what you are looking for but it was 5-6 years ago and I can't recall their name.

Bann

PREMO Member
Along with the paperwork for the IEP is a handbook that must be given to all parents. I believe that will contain the information needed.

I have never received a handbook. I've received a booklet of Maryland's (parents) Procedural Safeguards, but no handbook . What does it cover? The procedural safeguards pertain mainly to due process rights, etc.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I have never received a handbook. I've received a booklet of Maryland's (parents) Procedural Safeguards, but no handbook . What does it cover? The procedural safeguards pertain mainly to due process rights, etc.

Try calling the Maryland State Department of Education, Division of Special Education at 410-767-7770.
They can certainly point you in the right direction.