Cordless Drill for Hubby's Christmas Present

punchbuggy

My husband wants a new cordless drill for Christmas with 2 rechargeable batteries. His is over 14 years old and we can't find replacement batteries for it. Any brands anyone can recommend that will last? Wants between 10-14 volt. Used for all home projects - not building an Ark or anything. :lmao: He's worth it so bring on your suggestions!
Thanks!

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
My husband wants a new cordless drill for Christmas with 2 rechargeable batteries. His is over 14 years old and we can't find replacement batteries for it. Any brands anyone can recommend that will last? Wants between 10-14 volt. Used for all home projects - not building an Ark or anything. :lmao: He's worth it so bring on your suggestions!
Thanks!

18 volt Dewalt. Its the only battery drill I have ever liked. Kinda pricey but well worth it. :yay:

punchbuggy

Growing up, my Dad swore by Sears - Craftsman. Since I'm so not a tool chick, I really appreciate the responses. Milwaukee is a bit pricey but I appreciate the link. I'll check out all responses and do some surfing. His drill is a "Skill" but the batteries won't stay charged....want to get him something new because he's always "making do" but if I can find replacement batteries would go that route. The drill is fine! Not sure if Skill drills are still made.

punchbuggy

Oh hell - there's all kinds of companies that sell replacement batteries for Skil online - just have to check what he has. DAH! Hate to trash the drill - now to dig through the shed over all of the family crap to get to his workbench. Poor hubby - can't even have the shed for his stuff! Have to give him a shed cleanout gift certificate in his stocking! ha ha

RadioCtrlDWife

geek gift

I bought 2A one of these (he picked it out). You can price them at different places.
Milwaukee 28V Cordless V28™ Lithium-Ion 1/2" Hammer Drill w/ Case
Lithium-Ion is the best. I would not buy a new cordless tool with any lesser type of battery pack. We have had great service from our Mikitas.
I found the BEST geek gift for Kim a WiFi detector tee shirt [shhh- she doesn't read this forum, even though I use her name here] it was only 29 bucks-- but she is gona love it ThinkGeek :: Wi-Fi Detector Shirt
Bill Signal Bars R Us

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
This month's Consumer Reports rates cordless drills. I think the Panasonic 12 volt was their highest rated in the area you're looking. The Hitachi lithium-ion ($200) was another highly rated drill.

T

tikipirate

You kinda need to sniff out more info out of hubby...

If all he needs is a good, powerful and lightweight cordless drill, then the Panasonic has won every contest between Consumer Reports and Fine Homebuilding.

But if he needs more than just a drill, then you have to build a cordless system around the battery pack. Check out what tools are available using that battery. So far, Makita and DeWalt are leading the Lithium-Ion battle. Porter-Cable and DeWalt are leading the Nickle Metal Hydride battle.

Confused? So is everyone else.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
punch...

Thanks!

...if I read you correctly, he wants 10-14 volts and just around the house, no need for 'ark' building, correct?

So, no hammer drills, no 18 volt professional models, right? His is 14 years old which means it ain't much in terms of performance and features which means he never wanted much more, right? So, he's a person who needs a few tools, not THE best tools? Right?

If he is like my dad and does NOT want the latest and greatest, just solid, good enough and CHEAP, this is your tool;

Craftsman 14.4 volt Drill with Auto Lock Chuck - Model 11547 at Sears.com

It's not as heavy as the bigger ones, it will do nearly as much as any other cordless, at least for a short time and it's CHEAP.

You can get a bit better performance and an extra feature or two by stepping up to this for $20 more;

Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Drill/Driver Kit, 80th Anniversary - Model 11561 at Sears.com

This is a great drill for HOME, light use, occasional bigger jobs.

Vince

18 volt Dewalt. Its the only battery drill I have ever liked. Kinda pricey but well worth it. :yay:
Have one of these with two batteries. I do alot of woodworking and use the crap out of it. With one battery always on charge it's never let me down.

J

jlwgirl

well, i would have to recommend either~~~ Sears Craftsmen, DeWalt,Milwalkie or something like that.....do not go with Ryobi or Ridgid....both are crap! I can tell ya this from working at the Home Depot in the past....their "store brands" are garbage...:whistle:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
C

czygvtwkr

Don't laugh but I have a Black and Decker 12V cordless drill with keyless chuck that I got at Lowes for about $70 and it came with a case and two battery packs (NiCads) and it has more than enough power to do just about anything that a home owner will need. I would buy him a pack of #1 and #2 phillips bits and a good set of drill bits with the extra money if he doesn't already have some.

I did seriously consider an expensive Hitachi but when I thought about it I really couldn't think of why I needed it. Granted if I were a professional handyman I would want something else but this is fine. I even drilled four 3/8 inch holes into concrete block with this drill a while back, yea a hammer drill would have worked better but it was probably the only four holes I will ever drill into concrete block for a decade.

Booboo3604

Have one of these with two batteries. I do alot of woodworking and use the crap out of it. With one battery always on charge it's never let me down.

:yeahthat: My boyfriend is an electrician and he has had the same one for years. That thing has been dropped so many times off of ladders and everything else. Still works perfect. Initially I was really surprised that he was spending that much on a drill but it's a good tool. The battery can be used in all the different 18V cordless tools so over time he has accumulated quite a few batteries, so like you say with one (or two) always on charge, it's always ready to go!

I have even used it and really like it. He has this attachment that I was able to use to stir drywall mudd in the bug bucket. Made it SO much easier!

Last edited:

sdm

Yep, my hubby buys Dewalt. 18V Cordless with 2 battery packs. Should be able to pick one up on sale soon.

willie

well, i would have to recommend either~~~ Sears Craftsmen, DeWalt,Milwalkie or something like that.....do not go with Ryobi or Ridgid....both are crap! I can tell ya this from working at the Home Depot in the past....their "store brands" are garbage...:whistle:
Craftsman is made by Ryobi.