12 Miners found dead

V

Vixen

1 in critical condition in W.V.

I am surprised this hasn't been posted on the forum yet, but last night when my hubby went to bed, he said they had 12 alive and 1 dead. This morning they reported that last night's news was wrong. What an awful eff up. :ohwell:

Link

V

Vixen

dustin said:
Supposedly the Post and a bunch of other papers have their headlines wrong.

Fox is talking about the headlines now. :ohwell:

Capsules On Some Of The Miners In West Virginia

ALVA MARTIN BENNETT: Alva Martin Bennett's father was a coal miner and his only son also worked at the mine. As far as relatives knew, it was the only job "Marty", age 50, ever had.

JIM BENNETT: Jim Bennett's half brother Donald Marsh never understood how he could stand to make a living underground. Relatives said Bennett, a coal miner for several decades, was also was a religious man.

JERRY GROVES: Jerry Groves had been a coal miner for more than 30 years and followed in the footsteps of his father, grandfather, and another brother. Groves, 57, of Cleveland, who had hopes of retiring soon, was married with two adult children.

TERRY HELMS: A coal miner for 35 years, Terry Helms would not let his 25-year-old son become a miner. Nick Helms said his family never discussed what his father did for a living because "he never wanted us to worry." Helms, 50, of Newburg, who had worked at the Sago mine about six months.

DAVID LEWIS: David Lewis started working in the mines so he could be home at night with his three daughters while his wife, Samantha, worked on a master's degree in health care administration. Lewis, 28, of Philippi, had worked in the timber industry and construction but those jobs kept him away.

RANDAL MCCLOY: The sole survivor, Randal McCloy, told his wife he wanted to quit mining. The couple met in elementary school. Randal McCloy, 27, is a licensed electrician, but the money in the mines was too good to pass up. He drives an hour each way from his home in Simpson.

MARTIN TOLER: Martin Toler, a mine foreman, had worked in mines most of his life. The 50-year-old previously worked with his 29-year-old son in a different mine for about four years before Chris Toler was laid off.

FRED WARE JUNIOR: A coal miner for six years, Fred Ware Jr. always told his fiancee, Loretta Ables, he was going to die in the mines. Ware, 59, an operator from Tallmansville, had previously broken his ankle in the mine when a rock fell off a rib. Ables said she and Ware were planning a Valentine's Day wedding.

Pete

Repete
Can anyone else see how this screw up happened?

Reporters all jammed in craning to hear any tidbit of info so they can fill 30 seconds of air time talking about dirt. They overhear a barely audible scratchy transmission from the mine "Ssssssssscce cccsssccsssccccccc 12 ssscsccssssscccccsss survi sscsccscscs"

They jump on the Motorola flip phone is the mad rush to be the network that beats the other networks by 3.6 seconds with the news and passes on that 12 survived, it gets blabbed by the other reporters to their offices when they hear the other reporter jacking back to his studio. Pretty soon all the effed up networks are trying to outdo each other with a euphoric display about 12 survivors, while the families sitting in horror rejoice only to find out it was WRONG.

Media ethics :rolleyes:

V

Vixen

I'll add to that and say it took a disgusting 3 - 3 1/2 hours to correct that report also. The church was singing songs of worships over the happy news that 12 survived and the families were just later told the disappointing news that they only had 1 survive. The footage is unreal. You see the families standing there relieved and cheering. How could they eff this up? :boo:

Pete

Repete
News story said it was a mine foreman who spilled incorrect info he overheard via cell phone. He had better move and fast before he comes up missing.

MMDad

Lem Putt
12 Found Alive in W.Va. Coal Mine
Body of 13th Man Was Discovered In Adjacent Area

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 4, 2006; A01

SAGO, W.Va., Jan. 3 -- A dozen miners trapped 12,000 feet into a mountainside since early Monday were found alive Tuesday night just hours after rescuers found the body of a 13th man, who died in an explosion in an adjacent coal mine that was sealed off in early December.

The bells at the Sago Baptist Church pealed, and joyous relatives rushed outside to celebrate their miracle: miners surfacing after being in the cold, damp Sago Mine for 41 hours. Gov. Joe Manchin III said some would need medical attention.

"Everybody ran from the church screaming, 'They're alive! They're coming!' " said Loretta Ables, whose fianc, Fred Ware, was among the missing miners. She had lost hope when she learned about the dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in the mine, but she was elated as she waited outside the church. "I feel great, very great."

The miners had apparently done what they had been taught to do: barricaded themselves in a pocket with breathable air and awaited rescue.

dustin

UAIOE
MMDad said:
12 Found Alive in W.Va. Coal Mine
Body of 13th Man Was Discovered In Adjacent Area

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 4, 2006; A01

SAGO, W.Va., Jan. 3 -- A dozen miners trapped 12,000 feet into a mountainside since early Monday were found alive Tuesday night just hours after rescuers found the body of a 13th man, who died in an explosion in an adjacent coal mine that was sealed off in early December.

The bells at the Sago Baptist Church pealed, and joyous relatives rushed outside to celebrate their miracle: miners surfacing after being in the cold, damp Sago Mine for 41 hours. Gov. Joe Manchin III said some would need medical attention.

"Everybody ran from the church screaming, 'They're alive! They're coming!' " said Loretta Ables, whose fianc, Fred Ware, was among the missing miners. She had lost hope when she learned about the dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in the mine, but she was elated as she waited outside the church. "I feel great, very great."

The miners had apparently done what they had been taught to do: barricaded themselves in a pocket with breathable air and awaited rescue.
put this in the filing cabinet next to that Bush memo...