Red-light cameras hearing scheduled

Y

yornoc

A public hearing concerning the use/installation of red-light cameras in Calvert County is scheduled for 7 p.m July 16th at Calvert Pines Senior Center.

Note: I found this info in the Washington Post

**Since Charles County already has them, I guess St. Mary's County will be next on the list. **

SmallTown

Football season!
I look forward to having the cameras installed. I could not even begin to count the number of times I have almost been hit by someone running through a redlight. Just today, I was at the stoplight at San Souci plaza and after my light turned green, 4 cars came zipping through in front of me. We apparantlly don't have enough cops to enforce the these laws, so the cameras will do just fine. The only people against them or the ones who continually run red lights and are upset they might actually pay a fine for breaking the law. Some argue that they are just another way for the county to raise money. That is not the case as long as they follow the laws and DO NOT run the lights. It is that simple. Just goes back to the fact that people don't want to take responsibility for their actions. I think people would rather pay a fine and "wake up" to the fact they are breaking the law than to run a light and injure, or god forbid, kill someone.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I'm against them, and I don't run red lights.

I just prefer not to give up any of my civil rights. In our justice system, we have the right to meet and face our accuser. If you get a speeding ticket, you meet the officer in a court of law. I don't think they'll be yanking cameras off of poles, and I doubt if the camera would have much to say.

A red light camera is nothing more than a cash register, at the expense of your civil rights. I'm all for enforcement of speeding and other traffic laws. But let's help our bureaucrats get this one right! NO red light cameras!

Besides, safe, conscientious drivers always look both ways before entering an intersection. I think that's the second lesson in drivers' ed...

SmallTown

Football season!
Oh please, giving up civil rights?? If you don't break the law, you are not giving up anything.

One things people always seemto forget when they place the civil rights card is that your rights end when they infringe on mine. Your rights ended right when you put my life in danger by running the red light.

So you are saying that if someone were to steal your ATM card and withdraw the maximum amount over a week, you would just let it go since the only proof you have of who it is comes from the video tape at the ATM machine? You would stand up in court and say the person should go free and you you should get no repayment of lost funds since the only proof is a video?

Or how about if your mother or child was shot while going to their parked car in a garage, and the incident was picked up on video. Would you let the killer go free if the video was the only proof of who did it?

Please.. laws are laws. If you break them you pay the penalty. Nowhere in the drivers ed book does it say its only breaking the law if an officer sees you. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
In some places where these cameras are installed, they have shortened the yellow light to increase revenue of "red light runners". Now tell me that's fair. Neither does it take into account that maybe if you have some butthead on your @$$ and you slam on your brakes, you risk an accident.

I don't run lights or stop signs and it's always good to look both ways before proceeding into the intersection. Not many people actually bring their car to a total stop at the sign, they do the "running stop" and I've been there when they just blow thru them too.

Ride south on Rt.4, there are two of those "red signal ahead" lights. If you happen to pass under it as it starts to flash (which means the light is going to turn red) some people actually speed up because they know they can beat the light if they go faster.

G

giggles04

Yeah, I must say that I'm all for red light cameras, and they'll probably be coming to St. Mary's next. Too many times people have ran red lights and scared the living hell out of me. Cops never seem to be around when you need them.... so it'd be a way to stop them!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I think here in St. Marys we have a couple already. I noticed what I think is a camera at the St. Andrews Church Drive/Rt. 4 Intersection as well as the Ruby Tuesdays intersection. I could be wrong though.

I do like the idea of the cameras, but I am against them in St. Marys. The way the lights are timed doesn't make any sense. During traffic you are bound to run through yellow and the light is so short you end up running the light. I think the light system in St. Marys need looked at first then install the cameras. I do know that if you want to fight a ticket from a camera, you can take it to court and re-play the tape in front of a judge. I'm not sure how it works but I do know you have the option.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't have a problem with them at all. I don't run red lights, but I bet they'll get my husband! :lol:

James D

This is going to be unpopular but I say'

'FIGHT THE CAMERAS'16

I discount the theory 'That if you don't break laws, then you do not have to worry about them.'

:barf:

Everytime a new law is placed on the books, it restricts our freedom, and moves us closer to non thinking, non emotional, non responsible plebians.

I find it alarming that Mike Miller can take away an elected school board and replace it with an appointed one, and everyone says thank you. The responsiblity for our children was to much for us, and now the government can fix it.

People run the read light, we just want to whine about it, and let the government fix it, why take responsiblity. Why not elect a Sherriff who says that this won't happen under my reign - no that would take personal responsibility. OR The more drastic thing would be to move somewhere where likeminded people live.

No the easier thing is to make a law that forces everybody to act exactly the same.

Of course you can drink the kool-aid and say we have rules against murder, rape, stealing, ..., aren't we making people act the 'same'. I say no, we make rules that like minded people respect.

I equate red light cameras, and speeding cameras with zero tolorance in elementary schools. I find it all sad.

James D

halfcocked ?
blubbering ?

What a response!

I have no come back for such thought provoking essays.

I you met Jimmy? I think you would get along well with him.

watercolor

yeah yeah
ok! Well this is going to a difference in my answers cause in some ways I will be contradicting myself.

1) I do believe, that we need them in certain high traffic areas, such as St. Andrews/4 intersection, and the Pegg Road intersection with the base. For the simple fact, that people are in SUCH a rush, that they dont even think about any one but themselves. I can claim that I have both been victim to it, and also a contributor. So therefore, in those areas yes, I do very much agree they should have them. But! for all areas, such as,

Leonardtown/Hollywood road...why?
Shang-Gr-La/235...why?
Wildewood....why?

and so on...I dont understand, what is the point of needing them in that area. I mean, it just more tax dollars in use, for reasons that are not even understandable.

The only one I am debating, on with myself, is the area, of Great Mills, well Lexington Park/Great Mills. Because of the fact, that there are alot of pedestrians, including my best friend, and her kids (im not partialor anything...lol:rolleyes: ) and I think, that in that particular area, yes, they should have them, because its more or less, a shopping area per say, and a HIGH pedestrian area. But then again, I know there will be disagreements.

I dont think it is fair, that we should have them, being a county not a city. Its not fair, majority is right on that, but, its better...IN THOS PARTICULAR AREAS, to have it, than to have your car recked, and you shelling out, more than enough, when the other person,may not even be caught. you know... I am just once again stating my opinion.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Big Brother & The Nanny State

Red light cameras are big money makers --stops red light runners from causing accidents, that's what they want you to think. Wait until they put up speeding cameras! Then you'll sing a different tune--and don't tell me you NEVER speed.

Red Light Scam
Read the whole report if you have the time.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Big Brother & The Nanny State

Originally posted by Sharon
Red light cameras are big money makers --stops red light runners from causing accidents, that's what they want you to think. Wait until they put up speeding cameras! Then you'll sing a different tune--and don't tell me you NEVER speed.

Red Light Scam
Read the whole report if you have the time.

Oh Sharon, I am not saying that! I have been more than known to speed! Trust me, I understand that! I am just saying in those particular areas, we need them. But like I said, I could be wrong. Willing to say I am sorry if I am! :)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Watercolor

No, I think you got me all wrong. People just need to think about this before everyone jumps on the bandwagon. This stuff has already happened in other areas. Everyone speeds and sometimes people miss a light. Do you want to pay for an occasional mistake?

I have no sympathy for intentional traffic violators. But instead of the cameras they could extend the yellow time. There is too little decision time in some areas where you either decide to stop or go.

SmallTown

Football season!
The do have speeding cameras, they are called radar.

Maybe that is the problem people have.. With speeding tickets, you can sometimes "talk your way out if it". With the redlight cameras, you can do no such thing.. It's that responsibility thing. People get into a rut of doing something wrong for so long, then when they start to actually enforce the law everyone freaks.

SmallTown

Football season!
An occasional mistake? If you were in an accident because someone ran a light, would you care if it was the first time the person had ran a light?

Does the same go for drinking and driving? If you only do it say once a month it is ok?

I can't believe people will say anything to get AROUND a law as opposed to following the law..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let me add my thumbs up to the red-light cameras. Larry and I go round and round about this - he says it's a violation of our civil rights. I say don't run 'em and you won't have to worry about it. I never speed, either, so radar doesn't bother me.

SmallTown says :
People get into a rut of doing something wrong for so long, then when they start to actually enforce the law everyone freaks.
Amen to that, brother.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Barbra

I would think if you received a citation of this sort, you could have the person who reviewed your "photo" present in court.
But see, the problem there is that the person is only looking at a photo. They were not witnessing the violation, road conditions, traffic flow, etc. It's a tough call. It would be different if you were caught by the police, then they may or may not ticket you.
-------
SmallTown, I wasn't referring to radar. Suppose they installed speeding cameras with photos and no cop. They got you on a camera. Maybe you were speeding--maybe you were passing a slower car. Either way they gottcha. Bam! Pay the fine or lose a day of work and get your butt into court.

By the way, my driving record is clean. I'm not a habitual traffic offender in a rut trying to get around the law.

We could,"what-if" ourselves to death here.

Y

yornoc

A guy at work got a ticket for running a red light. The picture showed the car (front) and a zero (0) MPH. How did this happen? He said he pun on his brakes because he knows there is a camera there but the front wheel crossed the white line.

I don't know if it's true, but that was his story...