Teen Drivers

charlesctygal

After hearing about ANOTHER accident, by a teen driver, in the Southern Maryland area, I am very upset and can only imagine what parents out there right now are thinking about their children who drive the roads every day. You know something, I took drivers ed in 9th grade, 16 years ago, and so much has changed in that 16 years. Sure, the rules about teens not having more than one passenger with them when driving are great. I am not too sure exactly what the rules are, but how about a rule where until the kid is 18 can they drive with more than one other person. I know some kids will do what they want, but we need to do something, before more of our children get killed. Look at all these accidents, do you notice how not one of them was a one-person in a car accident? Very tragic and Maryland needs to revise their driving laws. This is just horrible.

mamissa3

How about they dont get liscense until they are 17 or 18. When i was was 16 i was seeing someone who was killed in an accident because he fell asleep. I choose not to get my liscense until i was 17, and i think it was a good wait.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

How about they dont get liscense until they are 17 or 18. When i was was 16 i was seeing someone who was killed in an accident because he fell asleep. I choose not to get my liscense until i was 17, and i think it was a good wait.

thats rediculous.

it needs to be up to the parents/child how early the kid gets a license, starting at 16 IMO. any later doesn't make sense for some people. I for one went out at 16 and got a job (on my own, none of this bs where daddy gets me a job with his company) and paid for my own ####. Kids need to have the freedom to start working by 16 and not have to be driven by their parents everywhere. Sure, it is good for some people to wait, but for others...an early license can help put food on the table. There is a difference between leaving the option out there to wait and forcing people to wait and be older to get a license.

Kittykat33

Why me??

Same here. I lost 2 friends in High School in a car accident and I didn't get my license till I was 17. I just pray for these kids out here. I have a 16 year old brother who lives out of state and I worry for him everyday when he drives.

mommarock

My daughter is in driving school now and this scares the h##& out of me!
I told her just because she gets her license doesn't mean she will be driving everywhere. I have to be comfortable with her driving before I let her loose. Most of her friends have their licenses and I do not let her in the car with them. It is the law but alot of the kids today don't pay attention to that and some of the parents know and don't do anything about it.

I told her that it only takes a second for an accident to happen and there may be no second chances.

My heart goes out to the families that have lost members in accidents. It is very sad.

charlesctygal

I agree. Some parents may not have any clue what their children are doing, adn some parents know exactly and will not enforce anything upon their children. Parents are fully aware of how fast cars can go, and do you not expect your child to not try it out for themselves?

I agree. Some parents may not have any clue what their children are doing, adn some parents know exactly and will not enforce anything upon their children. Parents are fully aware of how fast cars can go, and do you not expect your child to not try it out for themselves?

Yes - on top of this parents are better off than previous parents. Car's are purchased for the kids and they do not respect them.

Quite frankly, we should go with the same kind of trainging kids go through in Europe (Germany specifically)... that would cut a lot of teen accidents down.

Maybe teens should spend 6 months with a rescue squad... scraping someone elses bod parts off the road will definately give them a different outlook on life - it did for me.

S

Special_K44

I used to work at Civista as an EEG tech. I cant tell you how many kids I had to do an EEG on due to car accidents. Some were veg. and some had lost use of legs, arms and lost use of part of their brains. Its was sad.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Yes - on top of this parents are better off than previous parents. Car's are purchased for the kids and they do not respect them.

Quite frankly, we should go with the same kind of trainging kids go through in Europe (Germany specifically)... that would cut a lot of teen accidents down.

Maybe teens should spend 6 months with a rescue squad... scraping someone elses bod parts off the road will definately give them a different outlook on life - it did for me.

I think spending some time with a rescue squad should be mandatory for all drivers applying for a license!

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!

How does seeing blood and guts improve driving skill?

I'd like to see kids get more hands on time behind the wheel with an instructor or parent before they get a license. Preferably with an instructor on a closed course emulating limited traction situations (i.e. wet roads)

I'd like to see kids get more hands on time behind the wheel with an instructor or parent before they get a license. Preferably with an instructor on a closed course emulating limited traction situations (i.e. wet roads)

I did not intend for that portion of my comment to be an improvement on skill... once you scrape someones brains off the road you learn what the consequences of your actions might be.

I am in 110% agreement with you on the hands on time behind the wheel. I posted once before about the German rules for obtaining your license; I think we need to lean that way - more training!

I know I am going to send my kid to a defensive driving school ON TOP OF drivers education.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
once you scrape someones brains off the road you learn what the consequences of your actions might be.

:shrug: Maybe.

Personally, I'd like to see mandatory re-testing (book AND road) for drivers licenses every two years for EVERYBODY. There are WAY too many dangerous drivers on the road.

aursulaj

I totally agree with them waiting until they are 17 or 18 before getting a license. I have a son who is getting ready to turn 16. He has grown up around drag racing. Needless to say, I am NOT ready for him to get a license. I told him, he will be driving me around for a very long time before I turn him loose in a car!!

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
I didn't get my license until I was 17. I had to have a job to pay part of the car insurance before I could even get a car. Also my first car was a buick skyhawk. My parents said I would have to drive that until I proved I could be a responsible driver. After I drove that piece of junk for two years my parents helped me buy a newer car. I don't agree with buying your child a mustang, or other sport cars for their first vehicle. I know not all teen drivers are irresponsible.... Something needs to be done....JMO

Personally, I'd like to see mandatory re-testing (book AND road) for drivers licenses every two years for EVERYBODY. There are WAY too many dangerous drivers on the road.

By all means YES!!!

AND make the points system work, lower the ceiling of max points for losing your license and UP the fines!

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

My wife and I were talking with our 15 yo about this subject tonight at dinner. One thing she stated of interest was that many parents sign off on the hours the kids need to have behind the wheel without doing the time. Maybe the hours DO need to be with an instructor.