Let's play fix my heat...

flyingdog

Received a few how-to's on here, so thought I would try it again. Set the thermostat for 71. It heats to 70 then the vent blows cold air. Never reaches the desired temp. Set it for 70 and it does the same thing at 69. Is this a simple thermostat issue? The compressor is brand new as of this summer when we had AC issues. Thanks in advance...

poster

Heat pump? If so, sounds like it's working fine. :biggrin:

I agree - we had a heat pump in a small house a few years ago and it was ALWAYS cold feeling air and seems to run all the time.

We have oil now - I LOVE IT!!

Sounds like thermo - try that first, it would be cheaper.

Coventry17

It's definitely a thermostat issue, or the circuitry associated with it. Either the thermostat sending the wrong signal out, or the signal is getting jumbled at the control card. Shouldn't be a major issue to fix.

flyingdog

Check outside unit for freezing.

Is the fan in the Auto or On position?

Good question, fan is on Auto. Would the unit be frozen if the heat kicks on if I turn the thermostat up higher? It is when it gets within 1 degree that the air turns cool. Thanks much for playing...

poster

Good question, fan is on Auto. Would the unit be frozen if the heat kicks on if I turn the thermostat up higher? It is when it gets within 1 degree that the air turns cool. Thanks much for playing...

I was under the impression that a unit would only freeze if it was set to cool, not when the heat is on? We had that happen in the summer and ended up being low on freon (?sp), got it charged and didn't have another issue.

camily

Peace
Received a few how-to's on here, so thought I would try it again. Set the thermostat for 71. It heats to 70 then the vent blows cold air. Never reaches the desired temp. Set it for 70 and it does the same thing at 69. Is this a simple thermostat issue? The compressor is brand new as of this summer when we had AC issues. Thanks in advance...

Call my husband and ask him. Tell him I told you to. 240-832-1247. That's his work #.

flyingdog

It's definitely a thermostat issue, or the circuitry associated with it. Either the thermostat sending the wrong signal out, or the signal is getting jumbled at the control card. Shouldn't be a major issue to fix.

That is what we are thinking as well; we are renting, house is owned by a pilot, so just trying to help out. Thanks for the reassurance that this is probably it.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
It's been a while since I have worked on Heat Pumps...

Sounds like your T-stat is trying to be too smart for it's own good. :lmao:

If it is a newer unit it may have a controller inside that stages down the heat to reduce cycling off and on :shrug:

Will it ever hit your set temp and shut off?

flyingdog

And I was going to send you some good karma! What's with disabled reputation! I kinda like that though...like...I don't care what you think...

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I was under the impression that a unit would only freeze if it was set to cool, not when the heat is on? We had that happen in the summer and ended up being low on freon (?sp), got it charged and didn't have another issue.

They freeze both ways, there is a reversing valve that basically swaps the function of your indoor and outdoor unit. During cooling you typically see the indoor unit freeze first, unless there is a blockage in the lines, during heating the outdoor freezes. Heck sometimes both will freeze up:lmao:

HEAT PUMP BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING

Make certain that the thermostat is set higher than the actual room temperature and the selector switch is on heat if heat is needed, or that the thermostat is set lower than the actual room temp and the switch is on cool if air conditioning is desired. If the thermostat is programmable, be certain the batteries are fresh.

Test for power to the air handler by moving the fan switch from "auto" to "on". If the blower runs, the air handler is functional. If nothing happens, check the circuit breakers on the air handler cabinet and the breakers or fuses in the main panel. If any breakers are tripped, reset them once. If they trip again do not reset them. Deadly high voltage conditions exist inside the air handler cabinet and inside the access panel of the condenser. Let a qualified serviceman open them.

If the air handler runs constantly but cannot satisfy the thermostat setting, it is possible the backup heat is running but the condenser is not. Some condensers have the high pressure cut-out switch externally accessible. Look for a button sticking out of the cabinet in the vicinity of the refrigerant pipes. Press it in. If the machine starts up, the head pressure got too high, possibly from turning on and off too quickly, too much or too little refrigerant, or an electrical interruption. As the unit ages , the switch can weaken and pop easily. If the condition repeats itself often, have a serviceman check it.

Because all the controls are internally mounted, and high voltage wiring is exposed, only a serviceman should open panels.

Heat Pump is Frozen
Heat pumps can and will freeze on cold humid days. This is a known part of their operation, and because this happens, the manufacturers have built a defrost cycle into your heat pump, the same as a refrigerator or freezer. The defroster is on a timer and will operate when needed. If it fails to operate properly, it may be due to severe icing, or it may be malfunctioning.

A heat pump had two stages, the secondary heat source is electric or auxiliary. Switching to auxiliary for a few hours will turn off the heat pump condenser and allow it to cycle thru a few defrost cycles. If this does not remedy the situation you will probably need professional assistance.

flyingdog

HEAT PUMP BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING

Make certain that the thermostat is set higher than the actual room temperature and the selector switch is on heat if heat is needed, or that the thermostat is set lower than the actual room temp and the switch is on cool if air conditioning is desired. If the thermostat is programmable, be certain the batteries are fresh.

Test for power to the air handler by moving the fan switch from "auto" to "on". If the blower runs, the air handler is functional. If nothing happens, check the circuit breakers on the air handler cabinet and the breakers or fuses in the main panel. If any breakers are tripped, reset them once. If they trip again do not reset them. Deadly high voltage conditions exist inside the air handler cabinet and inside the access panel of the condenser. Let a qualified serviceman open them.

If the air handler runs constantly but cannot satisfy the thermostat setting, it is possible the backup heat is running but the condenser is not. Some condensers have the high pressure cut-out switch externally accessible. Look for a button sticking out of the cabinet in the vicinity of the refrigerant pipes. Press it in. If the machine starts up, the head pressure got too high, possibly from turning on and off too quickly, too much or too little refrigerant, or an electrical interruption. As the unit ages , the switch can weaken and pop easily. If the condition repeats itself often, have a serviceman check it.

Because all the controls are internally mounted, and high voltage wiring is exposed, only a serviceman should open panels.

Heat Pump is Frozen
Heat pumps can and will freeze on cold humid days. This is a known part of their operation, and because this happens, the manufacturers have built a defrost cycle into your heat pump, the same as a refrigerator or freezer. The defroster is on a timer and will operate when needed. If it fails to operate properly, it may be due to severe icing, or it may be malfunctioning.

A heat pump had two stages, the secondary heat source is electric or auxiliary. Switching to auxiliary for a few hours will turn off the heat pump condenser and allow it to cycle thru a few defrost cycles. If this does not remedy the situation you will probably need professional assistance.

This is brilliant, I'll pass it along. Thanks again!

jenbengen

Watch it

We had little issues like that. Got a new thermostat and works better now.