It Must Fail! Do Not Take Your Children

dolemite

I just heard this morning that this is a trilogy. If the first one fails, they will not make the next two. IT MUST FAIL! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN AND TELL EVERYONE NOT TO GO!

Subject: worth passing on ----- a movie to avoid

Spread the word about this movie .......... The Golden Compass

It is coming out on December 7th .
It is marketed for children and in the end they kill God and everyone can do as they please.
It stars Nicole Kidman, which will help to make it seem mainline and OK.

However, it is written by Phillip Pullman, a proud atheist who hates Chritianity and wants to "kill God" in the minds of children. The movie is a "dumbed-down" version of the first book in a trilogy which themes get progressively darker and darker.

Please pass this on so that unsuspecting parents won't be lured into it. We all know that Satan's best works are ones that seem nice and harmless on the top. This seems to fall into that category.

Most of all, read for yourself what Snopes has to say about it.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass
If you are as alarmed by what you read on snopes as I was, please forward this email.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
i think the special effects look cool. RC says he'll see it. just because of the special effects.

it's a good teaching tool, and opens discussion with your child. what you teach in the home is far more important a foundation than a stupid movie.
when the lion died in narnia i didn't see that as god dieing and coming back....and most kids won't either. it's symbolism and open to interpretation.

flyingdog

While at first I thought 'yes, don't see it' I agree with pp. If you do take your children, teach them that there are options out there. I was brought up Roman Catholic and didn't realize there was anything else. When I figured out that there was on my own, I was really confused. I still believe, but it's a more educated belief. That being said I probably won't see the movie. I don't have kids, but do think that what you teach/educate them on is most important. Sheltering them may not have the long term affect.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I just heard this morning that this is a trilogy. If the first one fails, they will not make the next two. IT MUST FAIL! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN AND TELL EVERYONE NOT TO GO!

This looks like a great movie! What's the big deal with showing another non-religious viewpoint?

mAlice

professional daydreamer

It is marketed for children and in the end they kill God and everyone can do as they please.

However, it is written by Phillip Pullman, a proud atheist who hates Chritianity and wants to "kill God" in the minds of children. The movie is a "dumbed-down" version of the first book in a trilogy which themes get progressively darker and darker.

Please pass this on so that unsuspecting parents won't be lured into it. We all know that Satan's best works are ones that seem nice and harmless on the top. This seems to fall into that category.

If you are as alarmed by what you read on snopes as I was, please forward this email.

:jameo: :rolleyes:

Xaquin44

It has Sam Elliot and armored fighting Polar Bears.

Who gives a toss about the rest.

I'm definatly seeing this.

On November 2, 2007, Philip Pullman appeared on the Today Show to talk about his book The Golden Compass and answer questions. He responds to the claim that his books are anti-Catholic, and asserts that he is not promoting atheism in The Golden Compass. Read his responses.

Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass | Scholastic.com

Here is my take on the subject... I am an avid fan of the Chronicles of Narnia. I have read the series no less than 7 times since my teen years. It was the thesis of my senior term paper for my literature class. Reading and studying those books did not influence my religious beliefs.

Reading a book or a series of books and assessing it's contents is not harmful. It does not brainwash you into thinking as the author of the book thinks. In fact, I hypothesize that those who are of a religious nature will simply walk away with a renewed vigor of their faith.

Censorship based on apprehension simply weakens the mind.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, in other words, Christian parents be aware of what these books (and movie) are really about so you can make an informed decision.

What's so bad about that? :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hmm so Muslims getting upset that a teddy bear is named Mohamed/Muhamed is just crazy.

But this is a "normal" reaction?

WHAT is a "normal" reaction, Nucklehead? Merely boycotting a movie??? As opposed to jailing someone or calling for their death???

You simply amaze me sometimes with your anti-Christian bull####.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
It has Sam Elliot and armored fighting Polar Bears.

:jet:

Really?!?! That's badass! How am I suppose to NOT see a movie with armored Polar Bears???

I have too much testosterone to miss something llike that. :lmao:

:confused: I 'll go watch Narnia afterwards to make sure I wasn't corrupted.

ButNut

:jet:

Really?!?! That's badass! How am I suppose to NOT see a movie with armored Polar Bears???

I have too much testosterone to miss something llike that. :lmao:

:confused: I 'll go watch Narnia afterwards to make sure I wasn't corrupted.

Let's watch it together bro, then afterwards we can play dungeons and dragons and talk about when we will french kiss a girl for the first time and practice on pillows and stuff :buddies:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Quote from Bill Donahue of The Catholic League:

Our concern is this, unsuspecting Christian parents may want to take their kid to the movie, it opens up December 7th, and say, this wasn't troubling, then we'll buy the books. So the movie is the bait for the books which are profoundly anti-Catholic and at the same time selling atheism.

Sooo, he's saying the movie isn't all that bad, but heaven forbid we might want to use it as a jumping point to get our children to read. :rolleyes:

I hate censorship, especially of books. Opposing viewpoints have been out there in print since people learned how to write. People, even children are allowed to think for themselves and form their own opinions. One book won't corrupt them, especially if it deviates too much from a movie the kids enjoyed.

For example, one of my favorite romantic movies was African Queen. Then I read the book. In the book, the Bogart character was a complete imbecile. In the end when they get married, it's less about love and romance than it is about the impropriety of the couple traveling alone together (what will people think :jet:) and all during the wedding ceremony, the man is thinking about whether the wife he already has might reappear someday, ultimately deciding that she left him because he was a loser, so she probably won't come back again. :banghead: The book had nothing to do with the movie except there was a boat and a missionary's sister. Now I can't watch the movie anymore.

Solja_Boy

Ok you are a true bible pumper. So acording to you. Any movie that has somthing bad to do with god, no one should go see it. You need to get in touch with reality and put down the bible.

Oh yea thanks for ruining the movie by giving away the ending without any warning ### ####!

Last edited:

terbear1225

So, in other words, Christian parents be aware of what these books (and movie) are really about so you can make an informed decision.

:yeahthat:

I don't know yet if I'll be watching this movie at any point, but at least I can make an educated decision. I don't think I'd go as faras the original poster in trying to get a boycott going, but I applaud thier dedication to there beliefs.

don't you think there were people who boycotted the narnia movie because of it's religious overtones?

mAlice

professional daydreamer

If it had been presented in that manner, I would have said the same thing.
Reading her post is like "the sky is falling" or were under attack. People need to calm down and stop freaking out at every little thing they disagree with.