DSL Coverage

G

Gemmi

Can anyone tell me if DSL is available on Rosecroft Road or more specifically Lucas Cove Road?

GopherM

Darwin was right
I don't have a phone number yet. Thinking about moving there and wondering if it is available .

Do an anywho.com or switchboard.com search of an actual address on the street you consider moving to, then plug that phone number into the verizon site. That should give you the answer.

ImnoMensa

DSL -------it ticks me off every time I hear them advertise.

I cannot get it ,but yet they push it hard. I dont get anything off my Verizon bil because I am shut out from one of their services. They have no intention of putting in lines so I can get it any time soon.

What is so difficult, cant they put a booster or something in the line.?

I went to the Post Office the other day and they have it I asked why and was told the Government told them they had ot have it so verizon ran some sort of special crap there so they could get it. Why cant they do that for everyone?

P

Patch Tuesday

DSL -------it ticks me off every time I hear them advertise.

I cannot get it ,but yet they push it hard. I dont get anything off my Verizon bil because I am shut out from one of their services. They have no intention of putting in lines so I can get it any time soon.

What is so difficult, cant they put a booster or something in the line.?

I went to the Post Office the other day and they have it I asked why and was told the Government told them they had ot have it so verizon ran some sort of special crap there so they could get it. Why cant they do that for everyone?

Verizon's disgusting.

We had a house several years ago that my wife ordered DSL for from Verizon based on their website telling her that we could have DSL at that location...

After several weeks of waiting around, and then missing the install date, I called up to ask where our DSL was? Verizon said it wasn't available in our area, that the order was a mistake...

Lesson learned: be very careful of a website telling you that you qualify for DSL in your area...

:smack:

ImnoMensa

If you really want to have a rough time, try calling AT&T to get their long distance cancelled.

First you get a foreigner of some sort that you cannot undertsand, then you think you have concluded your business only to find your lack of understanding got you signed up for something else. Then you try again the next month and it starts the same process of trying to change into some other sort of AT&T program

Hire some friggin Americans who can speak and be understood you buttwipes, and stop trying to switch me off to something else when all I want is to be free of you.

What is really needed is an office . One STINKING office where I can go and talk to a human being. Got damn the phone companies and their dumb azzed outsourced foreign representatives who could care less what you want, and got damn their dumb azzed machines that press one for English, press two for a royal screwing and press 3 to get put on hold until another machine answers.

Let me press the pound button to tell you to pound sand up your butt.

The worst part of this whole screwing Alexander Graham Bell fiasco is that there is no where else you can go. Its like the MVA, its the only source in town, so they can treat you with disdain and there isnt squat you can do about it.

If you really want to have a rough time, try calling AT&T to get their long distance cancelled.

First you get a foreigner of some sort that you cannot undertsand, then you think you have concluded your business only to find your lack of understanding got you signed up for something else. Then you try again the next month and it starts the same process of trying to change into some other sort of AT&T program

Hire some friggin Americans who can speak and be understood you buttwipes, and stop trying to switch me off to something else when all I want is to be free of you.

What is really needed is an office . One STINKING office where I can go and talk to a human being. Got damn the phone companies and their dumb azzed outsourced foreign representatives who could care less what you want, and got damn their dumb azzed machines that press one for English, press two for a royal screwing and press 3 to get put on hold until another machine answers.

Let me press the pound button to tell you to pound sand up your butt.

The worst part of this whole screwing Alexander Graham Bell fiasco is that there is no where else you can go. Its like the MVA, its the only source in town, so they can treat you with disdain and there isnt squat you can do about it.

The easiest way to get LD service canceled is to sign on with another company. They will gladly click the little checkbox to reassign your service to themselves.

ginwoman

yup, went through the same thing a couple of years ago. They even sent me the connection box.

dn0121

Even if you find out it is available it may bot be. Verizon the idiots that they said I could get it. Then they say I can't get it. My neighbors all have it around me but some how I am too far. Then they go on to say that if my neighbor disconnected it, he could not get it back because he is too far from the switching station. I spoke with their engineers and anyone else that I could but they all said that since their computers said I was too far that it would not be possible. Of course they then said, but you can get our FIOS service next year. YA RIGHT!!

Ended up getting metrocast just for internet, and going back to VOIP. I hate dealing with monopolies.

G

Gemmi

Well according to the address it is not yet available. Damn,now I wonder if cable is. I have had cable in the past ( Metrocast) but got fed up with it always being down. Are they any better about this now? I guess I need to call as I can't get any verification as to whether it is available from their website.

P

Patch Tuesday

Even if you find out it is available it may bot be. Verizon the idiots that they said I could get it. Then they say I can't get it. My neighbors all have it around me but some how I am too far. Then they go on to say that if my neighbor disconnected it, he could not get it back because he is too far from the switching station. I spoke with their engineers and anyone else that I could but they all said that since their computers said I was too far that it would not be possible. Of course they then said, but you can get our FIOS service next year. YA RIGHT!!

Ended up getting metrocast just for internet, and going back to VOIP. I hate dealing with monopolies.

I read an interesting news article about FIOS. Get this: it says that once you let them install FIOS, they rip out the old wiring in your house/property and replace it with the FIOS fiber optic wiring, hence making it so you can never return to the old, cheaper service...

Anyone else see that?

:coffee:

P

Patch Tuesday

Well according to the address it is not yet available. Damn,now I wonder if cable is. I have had cable in the past ( Metrocast) but got fed up with it always being down. Are they any better about this now? I guess I need to call as I can't get any verification as to whether it is available from their website.

I have to say that recently I've been quite impressed with Metrocast's Internet service. It's been on nearly always since I've gotten it again...

You do need to check them out with this site:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

to ensure they are giving you the speed you are paying for. Same goes for DSL...

When they first hooked it up, I was getting half the bandwidth my 6 meg plan was supposed to have, but they came out and fixed some crap on the telephone poles and got it up where it was supposed to be...

You need to run that test in the evening when everyone else is home sucking the bandwidth teat...

That said, Directv has a much better TV picture than Metrocast, so I use them for TV and Metrocast for the net and backup TV services when Directv is out due to weather etc. (basic cable)...

:popcorn:

G

Gemmi

I have to say that recently I've been quite impressed with Metrocast's Internet service. It's been on nearly always since I've gotten it again...

You do need to check them out with this site:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

to ensure they are giving you the speed you are paying for. Same goes for DSL...

When they first hooked it up, I was getting half the bandwidth my 6 meg plan was supposed to have, but they came out and fixed some crap on the telephone poles and got it up where it was supposed to be...

You need to run that test in the evening when everyone else is home sucking the bandwidth teat...

That said, Directv has a much better TV picture than Metrocast, so I use them for TV and Metrocast for the net and backup TV services when Directv is out due to weather etc. (basic cable)...

Do you think cable is faster than DSL? I can't really see a difference since I switched from cable to DSL. Then again I don't do a whole lot on my computer other than get on the internet.

P

Patch Tuesday

Do you think cable is faster than DSL? I can't really see a difference since I switched from cable to DSL. Then again I don't do a whole lot on my computer other than get on the internet.

High end cable packages (6 meg etc) are much faster than any DSL package that I'm aware exists, which is the reason behind FIOS...

FIOS is much faster than cable based on the commercials, I haven't actually seen it in action yet...

You really need to base your package on how much activity is going on in your household. For example do you have teenagers watching youtube and listening to music? Webcams? Large file downloads? Remote desk-topping your pc from work? etc. etc.

If it's just you and all you do is read web pages and send email, you'd be silly to have anthing more than $16.95, 756k Verizon DSL, or a low-end Metrocast package (1 megabit service etc)...

ImnoMensa

The easiest way to get LD service canceled is to sign on with another company. They will gladly click the little checkbox to reassign your service to themselves.

The problem is that I make all my long distance calls on the cell phone now and dont want a long distance carrier at all.

The problem is that I make all my long distance calls on the cell phone now and dont want a long distance carrier at all.

You have to have a long distance carrier assigned, even if you don't use it. Some carriers will charge a fee if you do not use a minimum amount of time with them, AT&T being one. I don't remember if Verizon does or not. In your case, you need to find a carrier that won't surcharge you for non-use, then ask them to be your long distance carrier, rather than trying to get AT&T to relinquish. Even if AT&T does relinquish, Verizon will become the default LD carrier.

G

Gemmi

High end cable packages (6 meg etc) are much faster than any DSL package that I'm aware exists, which is the reason behind FIOS...

FIOS is much faster than cable based on the commercials, I haven't actually seen it in action yet...

You really need to base your package on how much activity is going on in your household. For example do you have teenagers watching youtube and listening to music? Webcams? Large file downloads? Remote desk-topping your pc from work? etc. etc.

If it's just you and all you do is read web pages and send email, you'd be silly to have anthing more than $16.95, 756k Verizon DSL, or a low-end Metrocast package (1 megabit service etc)...

I do have two teenagers who spend a lot of time online playing games etc. So I really do need a fast connection.

P

Patch Tuesday

I do have two teenagers who spend a lot of time online playing games etc. So I really do need a fast connection.

I forgot to mention games. All the new game consoles such as the PS3 are able to play others online...

Sounds as if you'd be better off with Metrocast...