Volunteer Services

sparkysgirl

I was just curious as to what people really think about the volunteer fire/ems services here in Calvert County. Please no "bashing", just discussion. I'm curious as to your views on:

1) Abuse of the system-"Frequent Fliers"
2) Attitudes of the members (if you have personal experience)
3) Any other topic you have views on.

Please like I said, no bashing. I'm a member of one of the companies, any constructive criticism will be taken back into consideration and I will try to improve it on at least my part and hopefully my company.

I was just curious as to what people really think about the volunteer fire/ems services here in Calvert County. Please no "bashing", just discussion. I'm curious as to your views on:

Please like I said, no bashing. I'm a member of one of the companies, any constructive criticism will be taken back into consideration and I will try to improve it on at least my part and hopefully my company.

Prompted by anything in particular? :shrug: And sorry, only deal with St. Marys.

sparkysgirl

No, nothing in particular. I'm actually up in PA at college, just wanted to keep updated on the community back home :eek:)

K

Kain99

If anyone thinks other than.... THANK GOD FOR ALL OF THEM! They can roll over and die. JMHO

OldHillcrestGuy

As a member of Fire/Ems from another SoMd. county they are doing just fine in Calvert, maybe a little bickering between members from the 2 companies up north, but they both have pride in their companies. I don't see a problem like the other 2 counties are having.

mackco79

There is one company that I see always driving around in there utility and other pieces just for what seems to be joy rides I am in no way bashing them.. I dont know thier policy on the use of thier vehicles. I know that where I am a member we cant use the vehicles exept for training or company buissness with the way fuel prices are now a days we try to conserve as much as we can... As far as working with them on calls they have always been outstanding...

Last edited:

woogie

A lot of very dedicated people who freely give of their time
and put a lot of effort into serving their communities. They
should get more appreciation and public notice than they do.

They are a proud, hard-working bunch and all should be
thankful for their dedication. They also help keep the already
soaring tax rates down by not requiring the services of a
salaried fire-rescue force.

These men and women get up from thier meals, their homes
and their families to go take care of strangers in their times
of crisis. They spend many hours and lots of personal money
to go and train and attend classes to become more proficient
in what they do.

All for you.

Remember them this holiday season and be thankful.

A lot of very dedicated people who freely give of their time
and put a lot of effort into serving their communities. They
should get more appreciation and public notice than they do.

They are a proud, hard-working bunch and all should be
thankful for their dedication. They also help keep the already
soaring tax rates down by not requiring the services of a
salaried fire-rescue force.

These men and women get up from thier meals, their homes
and their families to go take care of strangers in their times
of crisis. They spend many hours and lots of personal money
to go and train and attend classes to become more proficient
in what they do.

All for you.

Remember them this holiday season and be thankful.

:yeahthat: Well stated, Woogie.

Crow Bait

I think they do their jobs very well.

However, if you ever try to host an event at a firehouse... it can be a headache.

ServiceGuy

As a member of Fire/Ems from another SoMd. county they are doing just fine in Calvert, maybe a little bickering between members from the 2 companies up north, but they both have pride in their companies. I don't see a problem like the other 2 counties are having.

What problems are you seeing and where?

sparkysgirl

Keep the opinions coming guys! Remember, your feedback will change at least one volunteer's awareness, maybe more!

OldHillcrestGuy

What problems are you seeing and where?

Staffing problems especially during the daytime hours, more a EMS problem then a fireside problem in 2 of the 3 counties, I don't listen a whole lot to Calvert so I don't know if the problem exist there too. When one company in Charles has to continuely run south into St. Mary's and sometimes as far as Hollywoods first due for a ambulance call there is a problem.:shrug:

When there is no Medic Unit in service or just one for the entire county there is a problem.
Its not anyones fault, its just not many people volunteer anymore or have the time, its just a change in life styles these days. The training to become a EMT or Paramedic takes alot of time, EMT is like 130 or more hours of training classes, Paramedic is like 6 months or more, 2 nights week or more, its just hard for people to find the time.
Im not putting a knock on any of the departments in any 3 of the counties, Im a member of a department down here also, its just hard to find new members and to keep them once they join.

Last edited:

SweetThang

Staffing problems especially during the daytime hours. Im not putting a knock on any of the departments in any 3 of the counties, Im a member of a department down here also, its just hard to find new members and to keep them once they join.

Recruitment and retention #1 issue of all Fire/EMS in all counties.

mackco79

OldHillcrestGuy The training to become a EMT or Paramedic takes alot of time said:
I know the paramedic course is a year long course then on hands time running with the medic unit is a few more months
Your right it takes alot of time and staffing during the day is really hard to come by... Me and another member of my dept run during the day every other friday...CWS day really helps do that....

vinnie

Vinnie
I've had experience with Hollywood, Leonardtown, Lexingington Park and Solomons and couldn't be happier. I feel extremely fortunate that there are caring, courteous and well trained VOLUNTEERS that look out for us on a daily basis. Thank you ALL!

NTNG

I know the paramedic course is a year long course then on hands time running with the medic unit is a few more months
Your right it takes alot of time and staffing during the day is really hard to come by... Me and another member of my dept run during the day every other friday...CWS day really helps do that....

The training for Paramedic is closer to two years. That includes the clinical training both here in SMC, and up the road in DC and Baltimore.

Day time responders is a problem. There are not a lot of employers who allow thier employees to run out the door if the alarm sounds.

purplepassion

Lovin' Life
That's one of the biggest changes around the counties. I know when I was younger and in school many employees could leave their jobs and take a fire/rescue/ems call without any problem. Now a days every one has such strict policies. God forbid that you should miss an hour of work because you saved a person's life or kept a house from burning down. The employer wouldn't think twice if it was one of their relatives or their own home.

Bring back the days where life was simpler and everyone knew each other and everyone didn't have a stick up their a$$!!

I think the companies in Calvert do a great job. It is hard to find people to run during the day. Especially since most people work outside the county these days.