Arrest Warrants

charlesctygal

If someone is known to have an arrest warrant out for them for failure to appear in court, is an officer to come to their place of residence and arrest them, or does the person just have to turn themselves in to the police department? (This is not me)! I know of someone, and she gave the wrong address to the police and now there is a warrant because she did not appear.

D

dems4me

If someone is known to have an arrest warrant out for them for failure to appear in court, is an officer to come to their place of residence and arrest them, or does the person just have to turn themselves in to the police department? (This is not me)! I know of someone, and she gave the wrong address to the police and now there is a warrant because she did not appear.

Why wait for the officer to get her (looks like she's running or something). Why not just turn herself in? :shrug:

sdm

If they don't voluntarily turn themselves in, the police will eventually find them. If it is a traffic ticket, they can just go to the District Court Clerk's Office and pay the fine. Then they will probably just issue an FTA recall.

foodcritic

Turn yourself in

DONT WAIT...Thats stupid. Eventually they will find her. On a traffic stop or just by investigation. It will cost lots of money and could be very embarrasing. Call the agency tell them what happened and show up at the station early in the morning. This will get you to the commishoner early in the day if possible.......

D

dems4me

she does not know there is a warrant for her arrest. I just found this info out today online at the case search engine.

Silly, why don't you just tell her instead of us? :lol: If it were me, I'd certainly want to know about it? :shrug: It could also be a mistake in the records that she may want to immediately address :shrug:

Novus Collectus

It would be MUCH better on themselves if the turn themselves in!
That all depends on the county it is in.

As someone who has been through this for a stupid FTA, I can say I will never turn myself in to the PG sherrif's headquarters again if for some strange reason I ever had another warrant.

But if you do then take my advice, never turn yourself in on a Friday evening because not only do many other people do so too so they do not miss work waiting for bail, that is also when the jails start to get busy with picked up Friday aftrernoon drunks, drunk drivers, druggies, violent spouses having a rough payday, etc.

The reasons why I will never turn myself in again even if it was the court's clerical error and it wasn't my fault:
Number one, you get no credit from the commissioner for turning yourself in when it comes to determining bail.
Number two, you don't get credit for it in front of the judge either.
Number three, when you are waiting in a holding cell built to seat ten, there are twenty or thirty people and you end up sitting on the floor next to the no privacy toilet.
Number four, you have to sit in there longer than if you were picked up off the street because the officer that picked you up has to stick around untill you see the commisioner and therefore they always take them before you everytime. You keep getting bumped down the list on who gets to see the commissioner next.
Number five, because of this getting bumped down the list by the bring ins, you can be there from 12 hours to three days. (I was there for sixteen hours and was told by some sherrifs is 48 hours is not uncommon and three days was the record). They do not feed you because the facility is not designed for that, but they did give us one balogny sandwhich eventually. You see no nurse at the Sherrif facility, so if you are diabetic you are screwed.
Number six, it never fails, there is always some new guy they put in the cell every hour that waited until he was in the crowded room with twenty or thirty other guys before he decided to take a smelly dump in the toilet in front of everyone. Some guys courtesy flush; some don't understand the concept.

If you turn yourself in, only turn yourself in to a cop on the street IMO. You get processed so mush sooner.

But usually one does not have to turn themselves in if they have a lawyer. A lawyer can usually get a warrant quashed (actual term) by making a quick explanation and asking for another trial date. They figure that if you pay a lawyer a few grand, you will show up and get your money's worth.

SpriteZero

If this is a friend..tell her , not us...
You know what to do...
Call her and tell her...
If she is not a freind, tell her anyway...

If it was a warrent for you, wouldn't you want someone to tell you NOW instead of getting arrested at work later on?

Do the right thing, and tell HER..not all of the world on-line.....

smcop

If you turn yourself in, only turn yourself in to a cop on the street IMO. You get processed so mush sooner.

But usually one does not have to turn themselves in if they have a lawyer. A lawyer can usually get a warrant quashed (actual term) by making a quick explanation and asking for another trial date. They figure that if you pay a lawyer a few grand, you will show up and get your money's worth.

:yeahthat:
Especially if it was a legitimate mistake.