Need a new sawdust source

mtclare

I called Ricky Goad to order a load of sawdust this week and was told that I would have to wait 3 weeks and the truckload will cost $200! Of course I waited until I'm completely out of sawdust to call and I don't like to use bagged shavings. Do any of you have a dependable and reasonable source that you are willing to share? My farm is in Upper Marlboro. Thanks!

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I called Ricky Goad to order a load of sawdust this week and was told that I would have to wait 3 weeks and the truckload will cost $200! Of course I waited until I'm completely out of sawdust to call and I don't like to use bagged shavings. Do any of you have a dependable and reasonable source that you are willing to share? My farm is in Upper Marlboro. Thanks!

Is that 10 yards or 20? Last time I got a load from him, it was huge.. probably 20-22 and half of it went bad.. But I don't believe it was that much ( it was a couple years ago).. He may have raised his $ like everyone else..
I pick up my sawdust from Hatchers.. their delivery is something like 17+/yard with a 10 yd minimum:yikes:.. But don't quote me on that..

natbugs

you are right. it actually went up to $18 a cubic yard.....I get 13 yards a month.I am not sure they got to upper marlboro....

erinjograves

I used to use David Jarboe. He always had good prices and was great to deal with. I can find his number if you need it. I will have to look in my old barn stuff.

gocheysun

the amish saw mill is great.. it is 12 dollars i think for a truck load os shavings(that's your truck) and i think u can still get the sawdust for free but u have to shovel and load it ... it is enexpensive and it won't go bad..

mingiz

Horse Poor
the amish saw mill is great.. it is 12 dollars i think for a truck load os shavings(that's your truck) and i think u can still get the sawdust for free but u have to shovel and load it ... it is enexpensive and it won't go bad..

Most of if not all of the Amish charge for thier sawdust...A lot of times they won't have it because of peeps with large trucks come in and get it for resale....They still charge ya if they load it or you load it it's cheaper....

mtclare

I got a pick-up truck load yesterday, thank goodness. That will keep me in business until Goad can deliver some.

I got prices from a handful of sellers and Goad is still the cheapest, even with the price increase.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I was thinkoing of BY Lumber in White Plains MD - they are pretty cheap on mulch so I would imagine their sawdust price is low as well.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I used to use David Jarboe. He always had good prices and was great to deal with. I can find his number if you need it. I will have to look in my old barn stuff.

David is working for Goad Lumber now. Larry Jarboe ran his mill out of business.

Eventer29

We lwarned the hard way to order early this time of year...well at least we should have learned by now. We are still waiting on a load that I called about around Christmas and they told us 3 weeks. We ended up using up our sawdust a week ago and buying the pelleted sawdust which is nice as long as the horses dont eat it butvery $$$$$. I have called Goad and left messages just asking for an EDA update, just so we know how long it will be. Guess they got tired of me cause they havent called back.

Robin

We lwarned the hard way to order early this time of year...well at least we should have learned by now. We are still waiting on a load that I called about around Christmas and they told us 3 weeks. We ended up using up our sawdust a week ago and buying the pelleted sawdust which is nice as long as the horses dont eat it butvery $$$$$. I have called Goad and left messages just asking for an EDA update, just so we know how long it will be. Guess they got tired of me cause they havent called back.

Hatchers delivered in 3 days same with a friend that lives in Leonardtown

S

saddlesore

There was just an article about bedding in The Horse (online). Apparently the primary source for sawdust and shavings is from the home constructions business. Since the new home building market is down, so is the quantity of bedding, and thus a shortage is expected. Also, because the price of gas has gone up, it costs more to ship it, as bedding and sawdust are a type of freight that is considered "heavy".

Not very cheery news, is it? The hay shortage is bad enough, now bedding, too!

J

jaybeeztoo

We use him and it's $140 for a truck load, I believe. One loads lasts us about 2 weeks or a little more for 14 horses. He is a very friendly man.

fredsaid2

Has anyone used shredded paper? We have so much of the stuff at work. Seems a shame for it to go to the landfill. Maybe even mixed in with sawdust to keep it from blowing around? Just wondering....

DQ2B

Has anyone used shredded paper? We have so much of the stuff at work. Seems a shame for it to go to the landfill. Maybe even mixed in with sawdust to keep it from blowing around? Just wondering....

Yup, I do use it occasionlly (mixed with sawdust as you suggest) but not in my boarder's stall. Like any bedding it has it's pros and cons.
Pros:
it's free!:yahoo:
no dust
absorbant
it's nice and fluffy
breaks down fast than sawdust, shavings, straw

Cons:
it is rather messy, tends to blow into my aisleway as I have stall gates.
You will definitely have more waste than with sawdust or pellets and if you can only get the really long pieces of shredded paper as opposed the chopped stuff then it's probably not worth it all all as none of it will fall through the fork when picking out.
Hence takes longer to pick out

fredsaid2

Cons:
it is rather messy, tends to blow into my aisleway as I have stall gates.
You will definitely have more waste than with sawdust or pellets and if you can only get the really long pieces of shredded paper as opposed the chopped stuff then it's probably not worth it all all as none of it will fall through the fork when picking out. one. SS carries them.
Hence takes longer to pick out

Good to know you've used it w/ some success. Have you tried the Fine-Tines fork? It's made for use w/ sawdust. I like to use that and a regular fork.