I'm SOOO proud of Kidlet and River

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I hope ya'll don't mind but I have to brag on my 10 y/o Kidlet.
I've recently started a youngster (Cocoa) under saddle, and of course, there is a learning curve.

Cocoa is doing extremely well overall, no spooks, she's happy and curious about everywhere we go, except one little thing. Streams.

Saturday, several of us went out around our place, and decided to navigate the difficult stream crossing which involves going down a 2' embankment into the stream, walking downstream, then up the embankment on the other side, and almost straight up a very steep hill.

Cocoa said...."NOPE...NOT goin' NO WAY Jose" and put the brakes on. she looked, she pawed, she snorted, she threw her head, she backed up...no amount of "encouragement" would get her to go down that embankment. So...i took a chance, and called Kidlet up to us. I hopped off and threw the lead rope attached to the rope halter on Cocoa to her, and told her to pony her down into the stream and stop. The look on her face was...ah.....priceless to say the least

Well, she pulled Cocoa's nose up close to her left hip (I didn't tell her where she should pony from she instinctively did it the right way!), and the three of them started down the hill, and right into the stream, then just like i said, stopped. So I went to the side of the embankment, and told Kidlet to toss me the lead, i was going to hop onto Cocoa from the hill, and ride her the rest of the way through. Kidlet just about :faint: but she did it. I hopped on, got settled and told her to walk downstream slowly, and let Cocoa stay right next to her and River. Next thing we knew, Cocoa was pawing and having a ball in that stream. Then we went on out of the stream and up the hill like all the drama had never happened. I was SO proud of my little cowgirl... i just about busted.

Thanks for letting me share. This kidlet is gonna be some kinda horse woman when she grows up.
OH i forgot to mention, Kidlet's horse is a coming THREE year old Rocky, and her very best friend in the world. HE's gonna be some kinda horse when he grows up too. :biggrin:

Last edited:

erinjograves

I've recently started a youngster (Cocoa) under saddle, and of course, there is a learning curve.

Cocoa is doing extremely well overall, no spooks, she's happy and curious about everywhere we go, except one little thing. Streams.

Saturday, several of us went out around our place, and decided to navigate the difficult stream crossing which involves going down a 2' embankment into the stream, walking downstream, then up the embankment on the other side, and almost straight up a very steep hill.

Cocoa said...."NOPE...NOT goin' NO WAY Jose" and put the brakes on. she looked, she pawed, she snorted, she threw her head, she backed up...no amount of "encouragement" would get her to go down that embankment. So...i took a chance, and called Kidlet up to us. I hopped off and threw the lead rope attached to the rope halter on Cocoa to her, and told her to pony her down into the stream and stop. The look on her face was...ah.....priceless to say the least

Well, she pulled Cocoa's nose up close to her left hip (I didn't tell her where she should pony from she instinctively did it the right way!), and the three of them started down the hill, and right into the stream, then just like i said, stopped. So I went to the side of the embankment, and told Kidlet to toss me the lead, i was going to hop onto Cocoa from the hill, and ride her the rest of the way through. Kidlet just about :faint: but she did it. I hopped on, got settled and told her to walk downstream slowly, and let Cocoa stay right next to her and River. Next thing we knew, Cocoa was pawing and having a ball in that stream. Then we went on out of the stream and up the hill like all the drama had never happened. I was SO proud of my little cowgirl... i just about busted.

Thanks for letting me share. This kidlet is gonna be some kinda horse woman when she grows up.
OH i forgot to mention, Kidlet's horse is a coming THREE year old Rocky, and her very best friend in the world. HE's gonna be some kinda horse when he grows up too. :biggrin:

Sounds like you have alot to be proud of!! Congrats!!!! :yahoo:

Loper

Animal Poor!

Happy,
That is awesome! Wish I had some of Kidlet's confidence! :buddies: