Cats on a Plane!

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Has anyone ever transported their cats on an airplane?

My husband is considering a job offer that would necessitate our family relocating to Belgium for a few years. We would, of course, want to take our five cats along with us.

Belgium allows up to five animals to be brought into the country so long as they have the proper vaccinations and paperwork, and does not require a quarantine period (which is nice); however my biggest concern would be actually getting them there. Even a direct flight would run at least 7 hours, and I'm not even sure that the airlines allow pets in the main cabin. Would they have to be put in the luggage bay, or are there special areas for live cargo?

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

oldman

Lobster Land
Many years ago my two cats flew with me from Turkey to Spain. They flew with the baggage. What a mess the cage was upon being taken off the plane.

thurley42

HY;FR
Has anyone ever transported their cats on an airplane?

My husband is considering a job offer that would necessitate our family relocating to Belgium for a few years. We would, of course, want to take our five cats along with us.

Belgium allows up to five animals to be brought into the country so long as they have the proper vaccinations and paperwork, and does not require a quarantine period (which is nice); however my biggest concern would be actually getting them there. Even a direct flight would run at least 7 hours, and I'm not even sure that the airlines allow pets in the main cabin. Would they have to be put in the luggage bay, or are there special areas for live cargo?

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

My aunt flies with her Yorkie all the time, but i think they make her pay for a seat....

My Mom just flew up from FL with her cat. You have to have the right type of carrier, for one thing. It flew in the cabin, but I doubt you could do it with five. Best thing would be to call the airline and find out their policies.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
Some airlines allow cats and dogs. Some only in baggage some allow baggage and in cabin. Those with in cabin service are generally limited to two per cabin and one per person. The crate must meet their size requirements and must fit under the seat in front of you. Most airlines post their rules for you on their sites. I have shipped cats to WA from VA and they had no problems. I also have traveled with poms in cabin and in cargo. Cargo for a small dog runs from 170-250 and in cabin runs from 65-125 from what I have found. Also over certain ages have to fly in seperate crates, also dependant on airline. One thing that you will need is a health certificate for each animal from a vet, and you may need an international one so to your location. Be sure to check with the USDA or the airline you end up flying. If you have another questions I can try to answer them, just PM me.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
We flew our cat home with us from Iceland. The vet gave us meds to sedate him. He was still pretty groggy when we arrived stateside. I think it was a 7 hour flight.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My son and DIL have flown their cat all over the place. If they went somewhere, the cat went with them. Even on their honeymoon (no lie :lol:)

H

HouseCat

We flew our cat home with us from Iceland. The vet gave us meds to sedate him. He was still pretty groggy when we arrived stateside. I think it was a 7 hour flight.
Yep, that is the way to do it. Tranquilize the cats. Put them in two of the largest carriers you can find, and fly them in cargo. They'll be p1ssed off en route, but they'll recover and forget about it. I flew mine from South Dakota to Florida, and she was just fine.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
Be carful with sedatives. I would try them before you go to insure that the dose is ok for them and there is no reactions.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
they will be fine..give them a vari kennel food and water give a small litter box in the back..I have shipped well over 100 cats over the years..to Poland, Germany, England, Netherlands and all over the US..if you need help let me know...I use the cardboard boxes and cut in 1/2 to make smaller..Good luck you will be fine..congrats on being able to take them..