Lawyer Info

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Does anyone know of a lawyer in southern Md by the name of Dan Gunther and if so is he any good?
I have a friend looking for a lawyer who will take on the school board here in southern Md, she is having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :howdy:

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
Does anyone know of a lawyer in southern Md by the name of Dan Gunther and if so is he any good?
I have a friend looking for a lawyer who will take on the school board here in southern Md, she is having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :howdy:

I have heard good things about him. Also try, Ann Emery in Leonardtown or Sue Armitage in Lex park.

wineo

loving life

Run fast and don't look back, he's a snake in the grass, clear your PMs and I'll give you a contact for someone better.

wineo

loving life
I'd agree about your assesment of him, but that doesn't negate that he does a fair job.

I know, but I have known people who have worked for him:whistle: and use to be in the same building with him years ago. IMO there are more lawyers out there that would give better service with a better price.

JMO

keekee

Run fast and don't look back, he's a snake in the grass, clear your PMs and I'll give you a contact for someone better.

:yeahthat:

I used him once years and years ago when I was very young and didn't know any better. He didn't do much at all for me, and then sent me a HUGE bill with a long list of itemized charges like, "received letter from so and so - $40.00", or "made phone call to so and so - $35.00". None of it was requested, nor authorized by me, but darn right I was billed for every time he blew his nose. I paid him off immediately, and got a new lawyer. Snake is a good description. I won't even buy liquor from his liquor store now! :cussing:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
:yeahthat:

I used him once years and years ago when I was very young and didn't know any better. He didn't do much at all for me, and then sent me a HUGE bill with a long list of itemized charges like, "received letter from so and so - $40.00", or "made phone call to so and so - $35.00". None of it was requested, nor authorized by me, but darn right I was billed for every time he blew his nose. I paid him off immediately, and got a new lawyer. Snake is a good description. I won't even buy liquor from his liquor store now! :cussing:

Thanks, I am passing along all this information. :howdy:

keekee

I have used Kim DiGiovanni - she is very good & her office is in Bowie.
Your friend might have more luck getting a lawyer who is not from St. Mary's County.

smcop

I have used Kim DiGiovanni - she is very good & her office is in Bowie.
Your friend might have more luck getting a lawyer who is not from St. Mary's County.
There are plenty of good attorney's from St. Mary's County. I'm not one to generally defend attorney's, but it makes me crazy sometimes when people say they would go out of the county to get an attorney. There are crap attorney's in and out of St. Mary's as well as good attorney's in and ou of St. Mary's.

Old Timer

There are plenty of good attorney's from St. Mary's County. I'm not one to generally defend attorney's, but it makes me crazy sometimes when people say they would go out of the county to get an attorney. There are crap attorney's in and out of St. Mary's as well as good attorney's in and ou of St. Mary's.

Going outside of the county for an attorney is usually not because the attorney's in a particular county are bad, it's more of a conflict of interest if you are taking on a county agency.

smcop

Going outside of the county for an attorney is usually not because the attorney's in a particular county are bad, it's more of a conflict of interest if you are taking on a county agency.
It's only a conflict if the attorney is representing the agency you are suing. If that is the case, the attorney will not take the case anyway.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Even though there's not a technical conflict of interest, you have to realize that most of the local lawyers are in the same social circles as the folks on the Board of Ed so if your friend is going up against the BOE with a local lawyer, that lawyer will be in the position of having to be in a court room against a friend of theirs.

smcop

Even though there's not a technical conflict of interest, you have to realize that most of the local lawyers are in the same social circles as the folks on the Board of Ed so if your friend is going up against the BOE with a local lawyer, that lawyer will be in the position of having to be in a court room against a friend of theirs.
Thats nonsense. Do you really believe this STATE is so big that the attorney's from St. Mary's County don't know the attorney's from P.G. or Calvert? An attorney's responsibility is to their client. In most of these cases, the fee's for the attorney is contingent on the money received from the claim against the defendant. Do you think because an attorney is "friends" with an attorney from the board of Ed...they wouldn't properly and aggressively defend their own interests?

Poohhunny1605

Thats nonsense. Do you really believe this STATE is so big that the attorney's from St. Mary's County don't know the attorney's from P.G. or Calvert? An attorney's responsibility is to their client. In most of these cases, the fee's for the attorney is contingent on the money received from the claim against the defendant. Do you think because an attorney is "friends" with an attorney from the board of Ed...they wouldn't properly and aggressively defend their own interests?

I think it depends on the circumstance. I think all the lawyers that are tri-county(PG too), pretty much know each other, have worked or been involved with one another at some point in time of their career, they know all the judges and are all in the same social circle..Which could be a good thing to your case or a bad thing to your case.

awpitt

Main Streeter
No it's not nonsense and I'm not talking lawyer vs lawyer. I'm talking about if someone highers a local lawyer to go to court against the school system. It's likely that their lawyer has some level of a social relationship with one or more people on the BOE. That could be an uncomfortable situation, even for a lawyer. This situation is less likely to occur if the person highered a lawyer from up the road.

Peter Forsberg

It's called the Good ol Boy Network.

smcop

No it's not nonsense and I'm not talking lawyer vs lawyer. I'm talking about if someone highers a local lawyer to go to court against the school system. It's likely that their lawyer has some level of a social relationship with one or more people on the BOE. That could be an uncomfortable situation, even for a lawyer. This situation is less likely to occur if the person highered a lawyer from up the road.
Again, it is nonsense. A lawyer who is in a tort complaint against a government agency, doesn't care that he/she is going to battle against another lawyer. That is what they are trained to do. Lawyers are in it for the sake of the argument, or the deal. A lawyer who takes your case, usually has some contingent about being paid upon the outcome of the case. That lawyer doesn't care that a person who he/she has a social connection to may be on the agency which they are suing?. I know this because I know many of the lawyers in the county. I am often questioned in a confrontational manner by attorney's I consider my friends. I don't take it personally nor do they. They are working for their client. That is what a lawyer does. This "good ole boy" system may have been rampant at one point down here, but it doesn't exist today. You may be doing yourself an injustice by attempting to get an attorney from out of the county. They don't necessarily know the tempermants and the quirks of the Judges.