relocating to pax riv/ lex park q's!

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
Hey all! My husband recently recieved orders to Pax River Nas, and I'm looking into apartments in the lexington park area, such as the indian bridge ones owned by cherry cove. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the area, things to watch out for and take note of, possibly some things about the apartments, and just anything in general. I know I've heard alot of bad things about MD because of Washington, but that's to be expected. We're going to be stationed there for two years, and I certainly want to make the best out of it, and would like to be prepared with as much info as possible. Anything will help, and if you take the time to reply to me, I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
Don't stay there if you dont like drug dealers.

where, the indian bridge apartments, or lex park period?? grrr, it's so frustrating.... lol, i'm not mad that you said that, it just seems like every time i try to be optimistic, i get shot down! I live in pensacola, fl too, so it would seem to me that as far as things like that go, there's alot more of that going on down here...at least I'm hoping so

BlueBird

There are some okay neighborhoods in Lexington Park. I would recommend drivng around before you settle on a place. It's not unusual here to have a relatively great neighborhood right next to some run down houses. Compared to a large city crime is low throughout southern Maryland.

What paygrade is your husband? If you can afford to live towards leonardtown in the Wildwood area you would probably enjoy it.

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
He's an E1, will be E2 come march-ish, so yeah... we want to be close to the base since we only have one vehicle, and I'm going to need to get a job and I want to start cosmetology school in the fall, that was one of the pluses of those apts, we could really stretch out our bah. Is that area more country-ish? I'm sick of city life...I know California sounds like it's a decent city, as far as me being able to find a job there...yeah, there's pretty much no way we'd be able to go check out the area first, because once we move, we're moved, and I certainly don't want to stay in a hotel until we find somewhere to live...definitely a downside to military lifestyle!

backagain39

He's an E1, will be E2 come march-ish, so yeah... we want to be close to the base since we only have one vehicle, and I'm going to need to get a job and I want to start cosmetology school in the fall, that was one of the pluses of those apts, we could really stretch out our bah. Is that area more country-ish? I'm sick of city life...I know California sounds like it's a decent city, as far as me being able to find a job there...yeah, there's pretty much no way we'd be able to go check out the area first, because once we move, we're moved, and I certainly don't want to stay in a hotel until we find somewhere to live...definitely a downside to military lifestyle!

If you can get base housing it probably would be better.............

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
If you can get base housing it probably would be better.............

lol...unfortunately, on base housing have waiting lists, so therefore, we'd have to live somewhere else anyway if there were a wait. Plus, if we live on base, we forfeit our bah. With our bah being 1245/month, and the place we're looking into, the rent there is only 850/month, that would mean we could pay most of our bills just from our bah, since we're really trying to save up money since we want to have a bigger wedding, and do the other things like buy a house and all that...he doesn't plan to retire out, at least not at this point, so we're kind of considering this our time to prepare for the future. The on base housing there appears to be very nice though, which is why I'm torn...I just know between our bills and car payment, and the cost of living there, we'd really be scrimping :(

Jamiemar21

Hey.... We came here from Jacksonville FL, but we lived in Pcola before that. Its a big change from FL, but actually I love it here. We live in Lusby, which is about 15 min from the base. Being your husbands rank is a E2 then I would live on base... try to get into Glen Forest... those are pretty nice. This is kinda a pricey place to live, and that would probably be your best bet. Just try to stay positive. Its a very nice area...
Jamie

Jamiemar21

lol...unfortunately, on base housing have waiting lists, so therefore, we'd have to live somewhere else anyway if there were a wait. Plus, if we live on base, we forfeit our bah. With our bah being 1245/month, and the place we're looking into, the rent there is only 850/month, that would mean we could pay most of our bills just from our bah, since we're really trying to save up money since we want to have a bigger wedding, and do the other things like buy a house and all that...he doesn't plan to retire out, at least not at this point, so we're kind of considering this our time to prepare for the future. The on base housing there appears to be very nice though, which is why I'm torn...I just know between our bills and car payment, and the cost of living there, we'd really be scrimping :(

Base housing gets in in as soon as you get here... they wont make you wait. Believe me when I say that it is worth you BAH to live on base... once you get your first electric bill, you will be in shock. :doh: I about hit the floor... but you do what you think will benifit your family.

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
Hey.... We came here from Jacksonville FL, but we lived in Pcola before that. Its a big change from FL, but actually I love it here. We live in Lusby, which is about 15 min from the base. Being your husbands rank is a E2 then I would live on base... try to get into Glen Forest... those are pretty nice. This is kinda a pricey place to live, and that would probably be your best bet. Just try to stay positive. Its a very nice area...
Jamie

oh my gosh thank you so much, it's nice to hear someone say it's better than where we are! It's hard because you're asking ppl who haven't seen this crap. I don't like the city really, I would rather be somewhere peaceful and quiet, it's just too much for me here, and I'm not for the weather either. Thank you so much though, I really appreciate your guys' feedback! Is glen forest in Lusby? I was actually looking into that area I think, I'll definitely have to check it out!

Jamiemar21

Hey... I actually LOVED pensacola... but we were there about 5 or six years ago so its probably changed. Its very nice here I think. Kinda slow paced, but im kinda into that sort of thing. Glen Forest is actually outside of the base... the are all redone, new everything, they are very nice. Were thinking when our lease is up we might go that way. Its amazing what your utilities will cost you here... I really would look into base housing. Just my opinion though.

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
Hey... I actually LOVED pensacola... but we were there about 5 or six years ago so its probably changed. Its very nice here I think. Kinda slow paced, but im kinda into that sort of thing. Glen Forest is actually outside of the base... the are all redone, new everything, they are very nice. Were thinking when our lease is up we might go that way. Its amazing what your utilities will cost you here... I really would look into base housing. Just my opinion though.

wow, i think i'm going to...does anyone know what all we would have to still pay for that base housing doesn't cover, as far as utilities?

signora

oh my gosh thank you so much, it's nice to hear someone say it's better than where we are! It's hard because you're asking ppl who haven't seen this crap. I don't like the city really, I would rather be somewhere peaceful and quiet, it's just too much for me here, and I'm not for the weather either. Thank you so much though, I really appreciate your guys' feedback! Is glen forest in Lusby? I was actually looking into that area I think, I'll definitely have to check it out!

Glen Forest is in Lexington Park and close to the base. If base housing is not an option then a little ways down the road are apartment complexes - Abberly Crest, which is pricey and the apartments are small in size especially for the price. Across the road are The Greens. As for Lusby it is in Calvert County so to get to the Base you would have to cross the bridge, which some people do not like because it does get backed up. Lusby isn't bad and building up, but there are no apartment complexes just home rentals, which vary in price.

I moved from a congested area in PA to Lexington Park so you will find it pretty rural if your use to city life. There are different chain stores and restaurants like Walmart, Target, Kmart, Applebees, Damons & Ruby Tuesdays, but no shopping malls or nightclubs. So it does take some getting use to if your use to certain places/things.

Last edited:

ashnavygirl143

I love my sailor!
Glen Forest is in Lexington Park and close to the base. If base housing is not an option then a little ways down the road are apartment complexes - Abberly Crest, which is pricey and small and then across the road are The Greens. As for Lusby it is in Calvert County so to get to the Base you would have to cross the bridge, which some people do not like because it does get backed up. Lusby isn't bad and building up, but there are no apartment complexes just home rentals, which vary in price.

I moved from a congested area in PA to Lexington Park so you will find it pretty rural if your use to city life. There are different chain stores and restaurants like Walmart, Target, Kmart, Applebees, Damons & Ruby Tuesdays, but but no shopping malls or nightclubs. So it does take some getting use to if your use to certain places/things.

Lol, call me crazy, but that's what I'm looking for! I come from a small town in Michigan, my graduating class was 100 ppl, to me, home equals acres for a yard....our nearest mall was an hour away, I like my space! So can anyone tell me what to expect for monthly bills if we don't decide to live on base...my issue is, as I said, we get an extra 1245 a month for bah. We have a car payment of $224, cell phones $100, then there's gas and groceries which avg. about $150 every two weeks... and he only makes about $500 every two weeks, and I'm hoping I'll be able to find a full time job when I get there asap, but I can't use that to pay my bills! So I'm just worried that if we live on base, we'll be really close to being broke all the time...I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me!

signora

Lol, call me crazy, but that's what I'm looking for! I come from a small town in Michigan, my graduating class was 100 ppl, to me, home equals acres for a yard....our nearest mall was an hour away, I like my space! So can anyone tell me what to expect for monthly bills if we don't decide to live on base...my issue is, as I said, we get an extra 1245 a month for bah. We have a car payment of $224, cell phones $100, then there's gas and groceries which avg. about $150 every two weeks... and he only makes about $500 every two weeks, and I'm hoping I'll be able to find a full time job when I get there asap, but I can't use that to pay my bills! So I'm just worried that if we live on base, we'll be really close to being broke all the time...I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me!

:lmao:From what I was told the area has built up, but it's still rural so it's a big adjustment for me. It's kind of funny here because you have the Cheasepeake Bay on one side but then you can go down certain roads where it is more rural and see deer, cows, horse farms and even Amish people on their buggies. If you don't live on base a majority of the apartment complexes run over $1,000 a month (real estate is high here). Groceries vary in price depending what market you shop at. If you live close to base you wont be spending too much in gas. I found cable to be cheaper here and electric varies depending on how much you use.

Not sure of your jobs skills, but there are various Contractors in the area if your looking for office work.

Last edited: