Kellems Seafood, Ridge

D

Dixie

Does anyone know what their operating hours are - I've called a couple of times and I keep getting this recording that says they're closed for the month of January.

LRG2006

Kellam's Seafood

Hi there!! I just emailed one of the owners......here's the response....

There isn't a lot of local seafood available during the winter so we were closed during the month of January. This month (February) we have been opening on the weekends - Saturday 11:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday 11:00am to 3:00pm. Things usually start picking up around the middle of March when the weather gets better and people start traveling to Ridge again.

D

Dixie

There isn't a lot of local seafood available during the winter so we were closed during the month of January. This month (February) we have been opening on the weekends - Saturday 11:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday 11:00am to 3:00pm. Things usually start picking up around the middle of March when the weather gets better and people start traveling to Ridge again.

Thanks! I was looking for oysters that were born and bred in Southern Maryland. Ended up getting them at Captain Pats instead.

LRG2006

Kellam's Seafood

Thanks! I was looking for oysters that were born and bred in Southern Maryland. Ended up getting them at Captain Pats instead.

I usually try and find a local waterman and get my oysters from them.....I haven't had any this year.......I'm kind of missing out of them......

Here's another reply from one of the Owners...

Month of February 2008:
Saturday 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
During the month of February closed Monday through Friday

D

Dixie

I usually try and find a local waterman and get my oysters from them.....I haven't had any this year.......I'm kind of missing out of them......

Here's another reply from one of the Owners...

Month of February 2008:
Saturday 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
During the month of February closed Monday through Friday

Captain Pat's was adamant that his oysters are local. He doesn't buy no "stinkin" foo foo oysters. Pretty funny. Actually the oysters I bought looked good - nice size to them.

angieanderic

Does anyone know what their operating hours are - I've called a couple of times and I keep getting this recording that says they're closed for the month of January.

This place makes me nuts. They never have correct hours posted,and now the OPEN sign is permanently up,which has caused me twice to pull into the lot only to find the door locked. I love thier seafood,but am really getting tired of them not having any consideration or respect for their customers. To me,when you just show up whenever and dont even bother to post the right hours,it shows a real lack of concern for anyone else's time. I would buy from Capt Pat's but I got some foul oysters there once.

Crow Bait

If you want fresh local oysters go to Circle C oyster ranch in Ridge.

The oysters are farmed right there, and you can watch them pull the oysters out of the water and bag them up. Clean, thin, shells that are easy to shuck, and no grit at all!

Yummmmmmmy!

Circle-C Oyster Ranching Association

D

Dixie

This place makes me nuts. They never have correct hours posted,and now the OPEN sign is permanently up,which has caused me twice to pull into the lot only to find the door locked. I love thier seafood,but am really getting tired of them not having any consideration or respect for their customers. To me,when you just show up whenever and dont even bother to post the right hours,it shows a real lack of concern for anyone else's time. I would buy from Capt Pat's but I got some foul oysters there once.

Thanks for the warning! Having dinner for nine people, serving fried oysters and filet mignon (for my non-oyster eating kids). Think I'll skip eating the oysters. How can you tell if they're foul?

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Thanks for the warning! Having dinner for nine people, serving fried oysters and filet mignon (for my non-oyster eating kids). Think I'll skip eating the oysters. How can you tell if they're foul?

They are "foul" when it doesn't smell right. Fresh oysters do not have decaying smell to it like an old oysters do. If the oysters smell like "decaying", then it is BAD!

Does anyone else have better suggestions on how to tell it is "foul"?

CMC122

Go Braves!
Contact Celeste at Thompsons Seafood in 7D, they are one of the last local oyster plants in the area:yay: Oysters are only fresh there!

Last edited:

Agee

They are "foul" when it doesn't smell right. Fresh oysters do not have decaying smell to it like an old oysters do. If the oysters smell like "decaying", then it is BAD!

Does anyone else have better suggestions on how to tell it is "foul"?

Ever smelled one of the local rivers tidal creeks at low tide? "Creek Funk", if they have a hint of this smell, leave them be.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

The "nose" knows

T

toppick08

Didn't know there had to be a particular season to go to God's Country....:lmao:

S

SmowPea

My daycare providers hubby is a fisherman. He always has oysters. They live in Valley Lee. If you are interested in contacting him (his name is Doug), PM me for the phone number!