Seen at the Sheetz

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lady is arguing with the cashier because she says she's disabled and wants someone to come pump her gas. Cashier says, forget it. Lady says it's a federal law that someone must pump your gas if you can't do it yourself. Cashier says, you don't look disabled. Lady replies, but I am! I can hardly walk! Cashier says, basically, that she was going to make it the manager's problem.

As I was pulling out, she went out to her car, which means she either didn't wait around for the manager, or he said it was a no-go. I didn't notice a handicapped plate or hanger, and she also didn't appear to be having trouble walking.

So that being neither here nor there, is it really a federal law that an employee must pump your gas if you are disabled? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Lady is arguing with the cashier because she says she's disabled and wants someone to come pump her gas. Cashier says, forget it. Lady says it's a federal law that someone must pump your gas if you can't do it yourself. Cashier says, you don't look disabled. Lady replies, but I am! I can hardly walk! Cashier says, basically, that she was going to make it the manager's problem.

As I was pulling out, she went out to her car, which means she either didn't wait around for the manager, or he said it was a no-go. I didn't notice a handicapped plate or hanger, and she also didn't appear to be having trouble walking.

So that being neither here nor there, is it really a federal law that an employee must pump your gas if you are disabled? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

Whatever happened to just saying please? :eyebrow:
It could work! really. :coffee:

slotted

She can walk all the way inside but can't pump her own gas? Unbelievable. I would have fell out laughing had I seen that. :lol:

K

Kain99

Common decency dictates that you help someone in need. No questions asked.

ocean733

Good question. My mom has a knee and hip problem, but she also has a needy, kiss-her-a$$ husband who will trip me to open a door for her, so she never has to pump her own gas :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket

:shrug: I've just seen the signs on the pumps that says if you require assistance push the little button (paraphrasing). I would think if you are capable enough to hobble in to the front register you'd be capable enough to pump your own gas, hell Stephen Hawking could probably pump his own damn gas. :jet:

I'd have told her to move to New Jersey. :yay:

H

hborror

She can walk all the way inside but can't pump her own gas? Unbelievable. I would have fell out laughing had I seen that. :lol:

bet you would have :lol:

If she could walk inside she didn't need the help to pump the dang gas :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
If you can't pump gas, should you really be operating a motor vehicle? I'm serious.

My brother is a paraplegic. He can drive. Most of the time he pumps his own gas. Sometimes getting out of the car and doing it himself is just too painful, so he gets help.

I agree that people who can walk into the store should pump their own gas, but it isn't the pimply faced clerk's decision who does and doesn't get helped.

There are plenty of people who don't appear to be handicapped but really are. They shouldn't need to carry their medical record and justify themselves to every joe blow in order to survive.

As usual, it is the rude a-hole few we notice, not the vast majority that do not milk the system.

ocean733

If you can't pump gas, should you really be operating a motor vehicle? I'm serious.

Well, I see where you're coming from, but I think that some people have knee problems and have a difficult time trying to walk around a fill their tank, but have the ability to press the go/brake in the vehicle.

T

toppick08

My brother is a paraplegic. He can drive. Most of the time he pumps his own gas. Sometimes getting out of the car and doing it himself is just too painful, so he gets help.
I agree that people who can walk into the store should pump their own gas, but it isn't the pimply faced clerk's decision who does and doesn't get helped.

There are plenty of people who don't appear to be handicapped but really are. They shouldn't need to carry their medical record and justify themselves to every joe blow in order to survive.

As usual, it is the rude a-hole few we notice, not the vast majority that do not milk the system.

:huggy:

sockgirl77

Maybe she has the I.B.S. disable and was having problems standing up for long periods of time. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Yes, by federal law they have to provide equal access. I think the states have gotten terribly lax in giving away the handicapped plates and plaquards. At my office alone there are 4 able bodied people who race for the handicap parking spots everyday and have no problem at all walking. One guy makes the trip in and out of the building several times a day to the smoking area.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but it isn't the pimply faced clerk's decision who does and doesn't get helped.

No no :nono: The clerk is a very nice young woman who was not surly in the slightest.

This woman had no obvious disability, could have pumped her gas with the effort it took to walk in the store, and there was no handicapped tag on her car. Was she a scammer? I have no idea. She wasn't particularly old - let's call her a, um, well-lived mid-50s.

And yes, the clerk does decide who does and doesn't get help, otherwise she'll be out there pumping gas all day for every woman who doesn't want to ruin her manicure.