Buddism

BudoPo

Sure. It's been a while since I studied it, but I know people pretty knowledgeable in it, if I can't answer your questions. I never really got into it, but found it very interesting. Keep in mind that there are quite a few sects. I was learning Tendai Mikkyo (a Tibetan one, but the Japanese version of it).

TripleJ

Originally posted by BudoPo
Sure. It's been a while since I studied it, but I know people pretty knowledgeable in it, if I can't answer your questions. I never really got into it, but found it very interesting. Keep in mind that there are quite a few sects. I was learning Tendai Mikkyo (a Tibetan one, but the Japanese version of it).
Thanks, I was sort of wondering if there was a group that met locally to discuss buddhism, I went to a buddhist (i forget the name, but, it was the chanting Tina Turner one) meeting, I found that to be as much in common with buddhism at the catholic church, I'll keep looking

BudoPo

I don't think there's anything down here, but Washington has the Shambala center. I'll ask around and see if I can dig up the contact information.

B

Boom

Originally posted by TripleJ
Thanks, I was sort of wondering if there was a group that met locally to discuss buddhism, I went to a buddhist (i forget the name, but, it was the chanting Tina Turner one) meeting, I found that to be as much in common with buddhism at the catholic church, I'll keep looking

I have limited knowledge, but I dont think you should think of Buddhism as a religion per se. It is more of a way of thinking, a way of understanding things, more of a private practice than a community worship kind of thing.

I also was brought up Catholic but have found too little in the religion that I wish to carry on into adulthood and to pass onto my children.

There are many different branches of Buddhism. For a beginning into exploration and to find which branch you might want to explore further, I suggest www.beliefnet.com.

G

BudoPo

Originally posted by Boom
I have limited knowledge, but I dont think you should think of Buddhism as a religion per se. It is more of a way of thinking, a way of understanding things, more of a private practice than a community worship kind of thing.

Indeed. There's no worship or deity in Buddhism, so it's not a religion in the Western sense. Calling it a religion just kind of makes it simple for people to talk about it.

TripleJ, try http://www.shambhala.org for the Shambhala center in Silver Spring (and others). As Boom said, there are many different types of Buddhism. I got into Tendai Mikkyo through friends, though it's not a very well known type. Zen is the most well known and popular, but by no means the only one, or necessarily the best for you. Talk to the Shambhala people and read up about it first.

TripleJ

Originally posted by BudoPo
Indeed. There's no worship or deity in Buddhism, so it's not a religion in the Western sense. Calling it a religion just kind of makes it simple for people to talk about it.

TripleJ, try http://www.shambhala.org for the Shambhala center in Silver Spring (and others). As Boom said, there are many different types of Buddhism. I got into Tendai Mikkyo through friends, though it's not a very well known type. Zen is the most well known and popular, but by no means the only one, or necessarily the best for you. Talk to the Shambhala people and read up about it first.
Thankyou :smile:

tenzo

I'm a practicing Soto Zen Buddhist in the Leonardtown area. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Soto Zen is a variety of Buddhism originating in China that moved into Japan in the 12th century. There are a couple Zen Buddhist groups that meet in the DC and Baltimore area that I could put you in touch with if you would like to go explore what a temple is like.

The previous posters are correct that Buddhism is not oriented towards the worship of deities and most Buddhists consider themselves non-theists or atheists. I still consider it a religion, however, because of its structure (priests, ceremonies, core texts, etc...). Just not a theistic one.

marianne

I'm a home practicing student of Mahayana Buddhism and have also been looking for local groups. I know there are some in DC but it's been many years since I was at a temple and am nervous about going alone as I won't remember the practice or chants. In the meantime, I've been getting Dharma teachings on audio cassettes and books from the monestary in NY which I used to attend where Abbott Loori presides:
http://www.mro.org/zmm/zmmhome/index.html

I love listening to his teachings. But I do miss the interaction with other Buddhists. One thing I found though: I had studied and discussed philosophies of religion and buddhism in particular for a year or two before I actually visited a buddhist temple or monestary. Whenever I visited those (especially the monestary), I was suprised at how more "religious" and less philisophical the experience was than I anticipated. That is, there was a lot more bowing to the buddha statue and chanting than I had anticipated. As you can see, I'm still a little nervous about that part.

Like the others have said there are a lot of different denominations of buddhism. I found it helpful to learn about the different denominations and then figure out which suits you best. I don't remember much about the different denominations these days. I remember that some are very centered on meditation. Some are centered on the lines of reincarnations of the buddha himself. I found Mahayana denomination most suitable for myself as it was the only one I knew of that centered on the Bodhisava (beings who search for the attainment of Buddhahood). The other demoninations I knew of were somewhat frightful to me in that they believed there was and will be only one Buddha that attained enlightenment. Abbott Loori would never cease to inspire his students when he called us all Buddhas.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Boom said:

I also was brought up Catholic but have found too little in the religion that I wish to carry on into adulthood and to pass onto my children.

There are many different branches of Buddhism. For a beginning into exploration and to find which branch you might want to explore further, I suggest www.beliefnet.com.

G
How come Boom doesn't have a return karma link?