Flood Warning - Please Read

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
St. Mary’s County Commissioners advises residents to Be Aware and Be Prepared for flooding around high tide between 8 pm and 9 pm tonight.

The National Weather Service expects that tides should be less than this morning but still over 2 ft in addition to the astronomical high tide. Wind speeds will range from 20 to 40 mph near the shores and the wind direction will be from the North.

Please be aware of the following flood safety tips for driving:

-- Do not drive unless necessary.

-- Do not drive through flooded areas. If you see a flooded-out roadway ahead, turn around and find another route to get to your destination.

-- If there is no other route, proceed to higher ground and wait for the waters to subside.

-- Even if the water appears shallow enough to cross, do not attempt to cross a flooded road. Water can conceal dips, or worse, floodwaters can damage roadways, washing away the entire road surface and a significant amount of ground.

-- If your car stalls, abandon it immediately and climb to higher ground.

-- Remember, 6 inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars, causing loss of control or possible stalling.

-- One foot of water will float many vehicles.

-- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUV's and pick-ups.

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
NWS bulletin Just IN: AT 2:34 PM EDT. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT FLOODING STILL OCCURRING WITHIN CALVERT & ST. MARYS COUNTIES. LIGHT TO MODERATE RAINFALL IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY EVENING. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS. TURN AROUND & DON`T DROWN!

A FLOOD WARNING MEANS THAT FLOODING HAS BEEN REPORTED. STREAM RISES WILL BE SLOW & FLASH FLOODING IS NOT EXPECTED. HOWEVER, ALL INTERESTED PARTIES SHOULD TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS IMMEDIATELY.

Vince

Not worried too much about flooding where I am, but the ground is soaked and the winds are going to start knocking trees over. :doh:

Vince

Go give a push to the one you'd like to fall.
I would, but the county says I need a permit and I need to pay them $120 for the permit to down a tree on my own property. :banghead: Doesn't make any sense. :doh: But I really am going to have to get a permit for the one tree in my front yard. It's a danger to the house.

T

toppick08

No matter how many times you tell people this, there's always going to be those who........

jenbengen

Watch it
Not worried too much about flooding where I am, but the ground is soaked and the winds are going to start knocking trees over. :doh:

Same here- I've had one fall into the woods, so no serious cleanup needed. I have several trees on a hill that I am wondering if they'll make it. But I'll take trees falling into the woods over floods anyday.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I would, but the county says I need a permit and I need to pay them $120 for the permit to down a tree on my own property. :banghead: Doesn't make any sense. :doh: But I really am going to have to get a permit for the one tree in my front yard. It's a danger to the house.

I don't think you need a permit if you can get it to fall from "natural causes" :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
NWS bulletin Just IN: AT 2:34 PM EDT. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT FLOODING STILL OCCURRING WITHIN CALVERT & ST. MARYS COUNTIES. LIGHT TO MODERATE RAINFALL IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY EVENING. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS. TURN AROUND & DON`T DROWN!

A FLOOD WARNING MEANS THAT FLOODING HAS BEEN REPORTED. STREAM RISES WILL BE SLOW & FLASH FLOODING IS NOT EXPECTED. HOWEVER, ALL INTERESTED PARTIES SHOULD TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS IMMEDIATELY.

Is it really necessary to shout? Geez.....

terbear1225

what about someone else's property? I'll push yours if you push mine (just don't tell bohman)