Clogged drain

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...and the plumber won't call me back.

SO!

I have a good idea where the clog is located, based on the backup pattern and the pipe layout. My plan is to get a pipe wrench today, take the drain apart, and remove the clog.

Anyone want to stop me before I do this? Seems like an easy task, but there might be something that hasn't occurred to me. I already tried plugging one side of the sink and plunging the other side to try and break it loose - no joy.

Also, the clog seems to be made up mostly of coffee grounds, which is interesting since I don't dump grounds in the disposal. But that's what's floating around in the backup water.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

SO!

I have a good idea where the clog is located, based on the backup pattern and the pipe layout. My plan is to get a pipe wrench today, take the drain apart, and remove the clog.

Anyone want to stop me before I do this? Seems like an easy task, but there might be something that hasn't occurred to me. I already tried plugging one side of the sink and plunging the other side to try and break it loose - no joy.

Also, the clog seems to be made up mostly of coffee grounds, which is interesting since I don't dump grounds in the disposal. But that's what's floating around in the backup water.

Just remember to put a bucket under it when you take it apart...should be no problem. You can do it. :yay:

bballfanatic

If its a pvc drain not much harm can be done, If its a metal drain there a real pain to put back together with no leaks. Try it worse comes to worse call me and I will put it back together for you.

SO!

Naw, have at it. It will be an interesting read later.....

SO!

It always seems easy, but plumbing has a way of "one thing leading to another". Have you tried a drain cleaner? Drano etc.? In any case I'd say go for it. You shouldn't need an actual pipe wrench if you are just working on the traps under the sink. I usually use water pump pliers. Adjustable pliers, basically. If you haven't tried it yet you might even be able to loosen the pipes by hand. As far as the coffee grounds...previous owners maybe?

Attachments

• 158838_lg.jpg
    158838_lg.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 95

SeaRide

coffee grounds? that's weird .. wonder if the coffee filter is clogging it up.
Got disaster insurance? just kidding.

Vrai, if it's not too late, I have a plumber's snake you can borrow. Run that thru, then follow with a drain cleaner.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

SO!

Also, the clog seems to be made up mostly of short & curlies, which is interesting since I don't shave my :gossip: in the kitchen sink. But that's what's floating around in the backup water.

Phantom shaver :whistle:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks all! It's PVC and the disposal is a new addition. I was just telling Catt and Vince that if 1BDZ can practically rebuild her whole house, I can certainly unclog a drain. :lol:

Maybe I'll give the Draino a shot first, but it seems like a fairly simple thing to remove that portion of pipe that I suspect is where the problem lies. If I flood my house, ya'll can listen to it on the scanner. :jet: