Propane re-fill

bohman

Is there a place local to the Lex. Park area where I can have a propane tank topped off? I know there's a million places to exchange one, but I was hoping to just top off the one I have. Don't want it to go empty in the middle of cooking for guests.

Does anybody know a good way to check how much is left in the tank?

Is there a place local to the Lex. Park area where I can have a propane tank topped off? I know there's a million places to exchange one, but I was hoping to just top off the one I have. Don't want it to go empty in the middle of cooking for guests.

Hewitts on 235, Bjs and Taylor gas down there on great miils rd used to but I don't know if they are even there anymore.

outlawrc

Lowes sells a guage for the tank 10 or 20 bucks I can't remember. But I use them on my rv tanks and they seem to be fairly accurate.:howdy:

Weigh it full and empty on bathroom scales. Or don't worry about it and keep a spare around. It's the only way to go. Otherwise you end up filling a partially filled tank and some don't charge by the weight.

You can get a stick-on for the side of the tank, usually sold in the BBQ section of most stores. You pour hot water on it and you can see visually where the level is.

There was another thread somewhere that BCP posted, about topping tanks as opposed to being charged for a full fill up....

bohman

Weigh it full and empty on bathroom scales. Or don't worry about it and keep a spare around. It's the only way to go. Otherwise you end up filling a partially filled tank and some don't charge by the weight.

Keeping a spare was my first thought, but I already have enough junk in my shed & garage, and I assumed that filling my existing tank would be cheaper than paying the deposit on another tank. But I do remember BCPs thread mentioning that some places don't measure - I'm not going to pay full price for a tank that wasn't empty.

red_explorer

Keeping a spare was my first thought, but I already have enough junk in my shed & garage, and I assumed that filling my existing tank would be cheaper than paying the deposit on another tank. But I do remember BCPs thread mentioning that some places don't measure - I'm not going to pay full price for a tank that wasn't empty.

Cooks on Rt 5 in Park Hall, Rod n Reel in Dameron, and there are many more!!!

dustin

UAIOE
Not sure if you have base access, or if its convenient, but we used to get our "command" BBQ grill tank filled behind the gym. IIRC one of the guys at the auto hobby shop (right behind the gym) would fill it up. I can't remember how much it was though. I used to go there in civvies so I don't think it matters wether or not youre military. Call the auto hobby shop to find out if they still do that though before you show up.

willie

I didn't know anyone "topped off" propane. I tried to find someone to do it and ended up buying a spare tank.

bohman

Thanks everybody. Tried going to Taylor on GMR since they are convenient to my house, but they closed at 4:30 so I tried Hewitt's. $10 got me the half tank I needed to top it off. Much better than buying a new tank. And only took 5 minutes.