Callin' all Car Knowledge People

watercolor

yeah yeah
My car yesterday all of a sudden starting blowing out white smoke from the exhaust when I hit the area of the Apple Basket on 235. Granted I had just put anti-freeze and oil in my car (yes in the correct places) but that was done at 3:30 pm...and I was at the apple basket area around 5:20. Any idea of what it could be? My car has never done this before- and I am a little freaked.

I went to this site looking for some information on oil changes for my car...and found the above. :frown: If someone could please tell me if any of those have to do with what is going on with my car- I would be much appreciative.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Could be you spilt some oil and it took it a while to heat up and burn off. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it is happening again today.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by migtig
Could be you spilt some oil and it took it a while to heat up and burn off. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it is happening again today.

:yeahthat: Prolly just burn off....

watercolor

yeah yeah
It happened 2 times on the way home. Once at the apple basket..and then once when I pulled in the driveway.

Then- I told Jess to come take a ride with me cause I wanted to show him what was going on ....and of course it didnt happen the whole time we were driving- and then finally when we drove in the driveway- it happened. Other than that- it has not happened today.

and you are right- it probably is just burn off.. my dad thinks its one of 3 things

A) I blew a gaskit
B) I need a ring replaced in the oil tank
C) that I overfilled the oil

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
White smoke? Sounds like a head gaket. Have you been using a lot of coolant?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I blew a head gasket in my Camaro many years ago. I swear I had the Bat Screen behind my going down Highway 280!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Ken King

Not to my knowledge- I dont have air conditioning in my car.

And yes rose.. that is exactly what I was thinking!

B

Bruce

Oil smoke is usually blue, white smoke is typically water being burned in the combustion chamber. I would most likely suspect a head gasket is blown. The timing is odd tho, I would think there is some relationship between the two events.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by watercolor23
Not to my knowledge- I dont have air conditioning in my car.

And yes rose.. that is exactly what I was thinking!
Coolant = antifreeze and water in the radiator

willie

Originally posted by Ken King
If you are adding coolant (anti freeze) and there are no puddles under the car then it is being burned. A compression test will detect a bad head gasket.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Nothing happened to me driving here or back home yesterday or last night. But then today it decided to do it, at the light in leonardtown caddy corner to mcdonalds. :frown: Its now over at my future FIL's getting checked out. AND getting an oil change

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Why were you putting antifreeze into the car in the first place? Flushing the system? Was the antifreeze level low, with no obvious leaks?? And then you see white smoke out of the tailpipe (ie. steam) then a head gasket leak is highly likely.

Pull your oil dipstick and check the oil. If the oil on the stick looks like muddy water/chocolate milk, you have a blown headgasket.