Hedges

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I need hedges to hide the first floor as completely as possible. They need to be evergreen, preferably fast growing, non invasive, and not prickly. Suggestions?

T

toppick08

I need hedges to hide the first floor as completely as possible. They need to be evergreen, preferably fast growing, non invasive, and not prickly. Suggestions?

Leyland Cypress, or Ligustrum....any other kind of privet is a good choice.

Also Heavenly Bamboo(tall var.), is nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMDad

Lem Putt

Get rid of Toppick and you won't have to hide any more.

Cowgirl

Leyland Cypress :nono: Toppick.
They will get infested with bagworms and die. It's not worth wasting the time and money if you know it will die. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

I don't think those will look very good up against the wall of my house. I might consider that for the property line, though.

:dur:

...if you want something right up against the house, I don't suppose blinds or curtains have been considered? :lmao:

I mean, if you want a hedge that blocks that much intrisive vision, it's gonna be tough to do. I...err...some people can peep through most vegitation.

:evil:

belvak

Happy Camper
How about Manhattan Euonymus? Hubby just planted a row of these against the fence line in our front yard, but it looks like they can be planted near the house too.

Cowgirl

The Green Giant Arborvitae might work well.

Arborvitae ‘Green Giant’ (Thuja ‘Green Giant’)
Introduced by the U.S. National Arboretum. Grow in almost any soil conditions, from sand to clay. Pyramid shape and requires no pruning. Pest resistant, even deer resistant. For a quick hedge or windbreak, plant 5 - 6' apart. For a more gradual hedge, plant 10 - 12' apart. Fast growers. Prune to shape, before spring growth. USDA Zones 2 - 10, H - 60', S - 20', Full sun

T

toppick08

Leyland Cypress :nono: Toppick.
They will get infested with bagworms and die. It's not worth wasting the time and money if you know it will die. :shrug:

:shrug:....not always..but after further thought, they will get too tall anyway.

T

toppick08

The Green Giant Arborvitae might work well.

Arborvitae ‘Green Giant’ (Thuja ‘Green Giant’)
Introduced by the U.S. National Arboretum. Grow in almost any soil conditions, from sand to clay. Pyramid shape and requires no pruning. Pest resistant, even deer resistant. For a quick hedge or windbreak, plant 5 - 6' apart. For a more gradual hedge, plant 10 - 12' apart. Fast growers. Prune to shape, before spring growth. USDA Zones 2 - 10, H - 60', S - 20', Full sun

:lmao:..you talking about bagworms.....

mAlice

professional daydreamer
...if you want something right up against the house, I don't suppose blinds or curtains have been considered? :lmao:

I mean, if you want a hedge that blocks that much intrisive vision, it's gonna be tough to do. I...err...some people can peep through most vegitation.

:evil:

:smack: You've been to my house. The whole bottom first floor was covered in ivy. No windows, except the front of the house, where it was kept cut back, and only the slider on the back of the house.

I'm having the ivy removed and replacing it with hedges.

Cowgirl

:lmao:..you talking about bagworms.....

The State of MD and NRCS recommend planting them for hedgerows and windbreaks.

Green Giant arborvitae is destined to become a superstar in the plant world and will become as common as the now much maligned Bradford pear. The reason for its success is two-fold. First, it’s a fast, easy-to-grow plant that, at least so far, has been remarkably pest free. Gardeners like to see things grow, and this plant can make three or four feet of growth a year while young....

...Part of Green Giant’s popularity is because it’s being used to replace Leyland cypress hedges that have begun developing disease problems across the southeast where it has been used extensively in the past quarter century.
Link

:neener:

I think the Green Giant will get way too big anyways.

T

toppick08

The State of MD and NRCS recommend planting them for hedgerows and windbreaks.

Link

:neener:

I think the Green Giant will get way too big anyways.

:yay:

:gossip:, I think she has me on iggy, therfore she will miss out on some good, hands on advice.....:lmao: