15 Year Old Boy Killed In ATV Crash

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Sharon said:
That's also in the Calvert paper this morning.
Yep, saw that the other day. :sad:

Also, a guy that grew up next door to me in Greenbelt and lived in White Sands drowned Sunday. :sad:

Cletus_Vandam

Parents

That's a tragic story and I ame sure the parents are dealing with a great amount of greif over the loss of the son.

But I have to ask the question.... Is the State's Attorney going to press charges of negligence against the parents? This type of thing needs to be brought to the for-front of the media and dealt with strictly.

The news article mentions that is it against the law to operate an ATV on the County or State roads. Wouldn't it be considered negligent allowing the boy on the streets?

Also, I own a very small ATV (150 cc) and that is posted everywhere that it is not to be operated by anyone under the age of 18. Odds are that ATV has similar warnings.

What might have happened it someone were walking on the shoulder at the same time this kid lost control of the ATV and they were dead now and the kid lived because the victim broke the fall so to speak.

I don't expect the police to be parents... But I beg to ask the question----------- Where were the parents in the case of this accident??????

What's everyone else's take on this? :confused:

K

Kizzy

I think they lost a son and that in itself is enough. They will live with the regret for what they did or didn't do.

Kizzy said:
I think they lost a son and that in itself is enough. They will live with the regret for what they did or didn't do.
Exactly... I see no reason to bring the parents up on charges based on this event. As for you other scenerio involving the injury of an innocent bystander... that would be different circumstances and end results and would warrent a different investigation and possible charges.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Cletus_Vandam said:
That's a tragic story and I ame sure the parents are dealing with a great amount of greif over the loss of the son.

But I have to ask the question.... Is the State's Attorney going to press charges of negligence against the parents? This type of thing needs to be brought to the for-front of the media and dealt with strictly.

The news article mentions that is it against the law to operate an ATV on the County or State roads. Wouldn't it be considered negligent allowing the boy on the streets?

Also, I own a very small ATV (150 cc) and that is posted everywhere that it is not to be operated by anyone under the age of 18. Odds are that ATV has similar warnings.

What might have happened it someone were walking on the shoulder at the same time this kid lost control of the ATV and they were dead now and the kid lived because the victim broke the fall so to speak.

I don't expect the police to be parents... But I beg to ask the question----------- Where were the parents in the case of this accident??????

What's everyone else's take on this? :confused:

Well, one thing the kid was 15... old enough to know better, and know right from wrong.. parents need to be responsible to a point, then the kids need to take responsibility.. Persnolly think we need to do away with the juvenile criminal Justice system.. either they are young enough (like 10) to be punished by their parents.. or old enough to do an adult crime, do the adult time.. I really don't care how old you are, you do an "adult" crime.. like SHOOT somebody.. then juvenile justice shouldn't even be an option. You steal a car, you can reach the pedals TO steal it.. off to Bubba's cell for 6 months..

SECONDLY and mostly.. they just lost their son... their 15 year old boy.. isn't that enough??

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Man, that really struck a nerve with me....I have a 19 YO and a 16 YO....They both have bad ass ATVs...Especially the 16 YO...His is set up for racing and he does at Budds Creek....They both ride using helmets and proper gear..(I am strict about that) I feel that anything can happen at any time....I am not going to stop them from riding when they could be killed at school, coming home from work/school, hanging out at the mall, on an ATV, on a plane, on a train (You get my dirft) or anywhere for that matter...They really enjoy it and I am truly sorry about what happened to the boy over in Calvert Co. but am I supposed to stop my boys from doing something that I approve of and they really enjoy....If I were to say "sell em" I think I would be attacked at night in my sleep....Especially from the 16YO....He is obsessed with that thing.... :lmao: Notice I said "In my sleep" I feel that my boys have too much respect for me to do it while I'm awake.. :dance:

Vince

Dupontster said:
They really enjoy it and I am truly sorry about what happened to the boy over in Calvert Co. but am I supposed to stop my boys from doing something that I approve of and they really enjoy....If I were to say "sell em" I think I would be attacked at night in my sleep....Especially from the 16YO....He is obsessed with that thing.... :lmao: Notice I said "In my sleep" I feel that my boys have too much respect for me to do it while I'm awake.. :dance:
Nothing wrong with riding them. Just my opinion, but.... "Police remind parents that it is illegal to ride an ATV on Maryland's public roads and highways." I get these kids all afternoon, every afternoon, up and down the street in front of my home. Call the police, and by the time they get there the kids are gone. And when one of these kids gets killed when a car hits their stupid azz you'll hear the parents scream.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Vince said:
Nothing wrong with riding them. Just my opinion, but.... "Police remind parents that it is illegal to ride an ATV on Maryland's public roads and highways." I get these kids all afternoon, every afternoon, up and down the street in front of my home. Call the police, and by the time they get there the kids are gone. And when one of these kids gets killed when a car hits their stupid azz you'll hear the parents scream.
:yeahthat: I've got them screaming up and down the road all day - along with those tiny motorcycles. I also have 2 Charles County officers and 3 State Police on my street. Nobody bothers those kids or reminds them to wear helmets.

Vince

bresamil said:
:yeahthat: I've got them screaming up and down the road all day - along with those tiny motorcycles. I also have 2 Charles County officers and 3 State Police on my street. Nobody bothers those kids or reminds them to wear helmets.
And they'll keep on going until someone gets killed. Some parents just plain ole don't give a sh!t.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I know where you all are coming from....My boys ride on the track and on farms around here that they have permission to be on ONLY....They have a track set up in the back yard that they ride on until it gets too dusty.....There are some brats around here that ride up and down the road like maineaks (spellin) and I know that if someone were to hit one of these kids there would be hell to pay because of the parents....There is an 8YO in our hood that thinks you better get out of his way because if you hit me my Mommy and Daddy will sue you....Like someone said, police were called and eventually showed up and by that time they were gone.....There are a couple that spoil the recreational part of it for all....I am not saying that my 2 are little angels....My oldest was stopped by a deputy and I had to take the trailer and go get him....He was on a farm that the deputy said he was not supposed to be on....He gave him a verbal warning and let him go (On the trailer)