Anybody know anything about cockatiels?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
There's a really smart cockatiel at the pound and I'd like to hear from ya'll about the amount of care they require. Never had any birds before, except for cleaning the cage of a parakeet on the weekends because DBF thought his bird enjoyed Mt. Poopmore under his perch. Do you think my evil evil cats would seriously traumatize it, even if I put the cage in an inaccessable area? What about my intellectually challenged dogs? One barks at the doves that eat from the bird feeder. The poor bird is probably already adopted but just thought I'd ask...
p.s. I know I have too many pets already so shut up.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Birds are pretty to look at but are dirty dirty dirty to keep. For real they make a HUGE mess! :barf:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have a cockatiel and he's a sweetie pie. He's about 4 years old and I've had him since he was a baby. He doesn't make a mess, but I have him in a cage that won't allow things to get all over the floor. I feed him pellets, not seed, and I clean him out about once a week. I keep his wings clipped and he SCREAMS to get out when I'm around. He's not "housebroken" but I have stuff called "Poop-off" that works fine. If he has an accident I just spray that on the area and wipe it up.

He's very chatty and says a lot of things. I'm not sure how an older bird will adjust. They seem to get used to one or two people and aren't too friendly with others.

My cats don't try to go after him. I'd think they would if I left them unattended but when he's out and gets on the floor, they don't immediately pounce on him and they don't fool with his cage at all.

(Is this the one they had at the DC Shelter???)

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Nope, Norfolk Animal Management. I want that bird! They've got a cat I can't have that's the size of a terrier. Friggin HUGE. I just figure if I can keep my home clean with all the dogs and cats, the bird couldn't be that much extra effort.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hello, you'll enjoy him if he was socialized initially. Keep his wings clipped, he will depend on you more and make the bonding process easier.

Let me know if you need any help.

This is a decent site

Hello6

Princess of Mean
*WHAT* Cats eat birds?? OMG!!!!! Have you alerted the media??
Thank you so much for telling me this Captain Obvious, you've saved the day!

Originally posted by Hello6
*WHAT* Cats eat birds?? OMG!!!!! Have you alerted the media??
Thank you so much for telling me this Captain Obvious, you've saved the day!
Glad I could be of assistance.

:biggrin:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Birds are pretty to look at but are dirty dirty dirty to keep. For real they make a HUGE mess! :barf:
:yeahthat: My mom has two cockatiels that she lets out of their cages. Bird poop and bird seed EVERYWHERE. :barf:

K

Katie

I have a cocketiel. I have to vacuum a couple times a week, but no more then you would for having a child or dog.

My baby is an angel, she talks all the time to eveyrone and eveyrthing. I leave the tv on for her during the day while I am at work so she doesn't get lonely, or I turn on the radio.

My upstairs neighbor has a parrot and they talk to each other through the sliders.

Cletus_Vandam

We have a cockatiel and if I were to give any recommendation, I would say to get an African Gray if you were really wanting a bird.