Home Air Purification

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
Does anyone know anything about this? I've priced them at various places but they only do single rooms. I'm looking for something that can do the entire house (about 2700 sq ft upstairs/down). HVAC company said they can put something on our heatpump(s) as a filtration system but I'm trying to learn as much as possible about everything before I make the investment.

Our issues are dust, pollen, animals but no mold or fungi (that we know of) since its a new home.

TYIA

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Personally I would go with one that hooks to the air handler/heat pump. The reasons being, they do the whole house, the noise of single units gets annoying real quick, the filter expense of a bunch of single units will be huge, and the cost of multiple units will get ugly.

Does anyone know anything about this? I've priced them at various places but they only do single rooms. I'm looking for something that can do the entire house (about 2700 sq ft upstairs/down). HVAC company said they can put something on our heatpump(s) as a filtration system but I'm trying to learn as much as possible about everything before I make the investment.

Our issues are dust, pollen, animals but no mold or fungi (that we know of) since its a new home.

TYIA

Personally I would go with one that hooks to the air handler/heat pump. The reasons being, they do the whole house, the noise of single units gets annoying real quick, the filter expense of a bunch of single units will be huge, and the cost of multiple units will get ugly.

:yeahthat: Whole house units are generally placed in-line in the handler and are electrostatic in nature, so they filter particles by charging them and attracting them to the charged filter. These units generally do not do the same thing as the standalone home ion discharge units. Those push ions into the air where the whole house filter just filters. You might find a whole house that ionizes the air too, just haven't seen one.

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
I found this "independent" unit that claims to cover 3000 sqft and its only about 2ft X 2ft and the filter only needs to be washed with warm amonia water about every 2-4 weeks depending on (circumstances). Which sounds great and I'm actually leaning towards it. So long as its true about the 3000 sqft upstairs/down. The company has been around for a long time and its $800.00.

I'm just trying to weigh my options.

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
:yeahthat: Whole house units are generally placed in-line in the handler and are electrostatic in nature, so they filter particles by charging them and attracting them to the charged filter. These units generally do not do the same thing as the standalone home ion discharge units. Those push ions into the air where the whole house filter just filters. You might find a whole house that ionizes the air too, just haven't seen one.

OK...not to sound stupid but "what the heck"...

What are ions? I keep hearing that and even the unit I'm thinking about (the $800.00 one) sais it does that but I don't know what Ions do in conjunction to the air purification process.

Sorry to sound stupid but again, I'm still learning.

OK...not to sound stupid but "what the heck"...

What are ions? I keep hearing that and even the unit I'm thinking about (the $800.00 one) sais it does that but I don't know what Ions do in conjunction to the air purification process.

Sorry to sound stupid but again, I'm still learning.

Let me see if I can find a good article... basically, the ions discharged are O3, ozone. Ozone is supposed to be healthy and purifies the air.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
I found this "independent" unit that claims to cover 3000 sqft and its only about 2ft X 2ft and the filter only needs to be washed with warm amonia water about every 2-4 weeks depending on (circumstances). Which sounds great and I'm actually leaning towards it. So long as its true about the 3000 sqft upstairs/down. The company has been around for a long time and its $800.00.

I'm just trying to weigh my options.

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors in the air cleaning business, much of it does not do what it says. Plus there's debate if some ionizers actually cause harmful indoor ozone pollution. The whole air cleaning biz isn't even regulated enough to protect consumers.

You really need to get deep inside Google with this and only go with a leader in the industry that has a proven product.

Example, if you've got a Carrier heat pump and they have a unit that does what you want as an add-on, I would trust something like that.

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors in the air cleaning business, much of it does not do what it says. Plus there's debate if some ionizers actually cause harmful indoor ozone pollution. The whole air cleaning biz isn't even regulated enough to protect consumers.

You really need to get deep inside Google with this and only go with a leader in the industry that has a proven product.

Example, if you've got a Carrier heat pump and they have a unit that does what you want as an add-on, I would trust something like that.

Noted in the above article... :yay:

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Noted in the above article... :yay:

The other problem with this crap is the filters. It's like the ink jet printer biz, they ought to just give you the unit, because they're going to screw you for years with filter purchases.

Would you believe my fridge has a water filter the manufacturer recommends changing every 6-9 months. Do you know what that joker costs?

$40

The other problem with this crap is the filters. It's like the ink jet printer biz, they ought to just give you the unit, because they're going to screw you for years with filter purchases.

Would you believe my fridge has a water filter the manufacturer recommends changing every 6-9 months. Do you know what that joker costs?

$40

Mine did too, but I by-passed it and put on an OTC filter. Replacement cartridges are about $4.

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED

$40

HAHAHAHAHA

I only let "friends I don't like" drink from the fridge. I have a separate water cooler for the rest.

JK

not really

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
HAHAHAHAHA

I only let "friends I don't like" drink from the fridge. I have a separate water cooler for the rest.

JK

not really

Oh trust me, I know that. And that's why I keep letting the air out of your tires and you keep calling GM saying it's the sensor.

:killingme

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
Omg

QUOTE=GWguy;3410523]USATODAY.com - Ionizing air cleaners get zapped
Uh, not a good example... :lmao:

Air ioniser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/QUOTE]

Now I'm even more paranoid...

Ions turn into Ozone if "cooked" at a high frequency. I know cooked isn't the right word (maybe zapped) but this is my confused interpretation of what I read. Like I said; just enough to make me more paranoid. NTL too much ozone isn't good for the lungs (which is why I need an air purification).

Thank you for your help and input. Now I have more sorting to do...

:cds:

my new favorite smilie

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Let me see if I can find a good article... basically, the ions discharged are O3, ozone. Ozone is supposed to be healthy and purifies the air.

Ozone is a major part of smog in inner cities. Not usually considered healthy or beneficial.

Consumer Reports went around and around about this with Sharper Images "Ionizer", and they finally admitted how bad it was. If you look at their current airfilters it has an "Ozone Canister" on it now that removes the ozone.

T

toppick08

TYIA

open the windows..:shrug:

ngravino

TYIA
I deal in Fresh Air purifiers for Ecoquest International. NASA certified, no air has to pass thru the unit it pulses out air purification by ionization. They come in all sizes ,the Fresh Air unit does 3000 sq.ft. call me at 301 884-0535.
or visit www.activepure.com/ngravino.

Last edited: