Charles schools - ICE

robbie

Did anyone get up early and check to see if it was safe for the kids to go this morning. They have no snow days used up so a late opening would have been possible. My son drives and passed accidents on Billingsly twice and was turned around at an accident on Marshall corner. There was a bad accident on the bridge on Smallwood also. Only bright thing was as I was driving child to middle school, down the street I saw a lady had fallen on the sidewalk and suddenly three vehicles pulled over and the guard at the school entrance went to assist her immediately. Nice to see good samaritans still.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Was surprised at the ice on the roads this AM..Did the Hughsville drift on the circles at 231/5 this morning.

Did anyone get up early and check to see if it was safe for the kids to go this morning. They have no snow days used up so a late opening would have been possible. My son drives and passed accidents on Billingsly twice and was turned around at an accident on Marshall corner. There was a bad accident on the bridge on Smallwood also. Only bright thing was as I was driving child to middle school, down the street I saw a lady had fallen on the sidewalk and suddenly three vehicles pulled over and the guard at the school entrance went to assist her immediately. Nice to see good samaritans still.
It's a "dayumed if you do... dayumed if you don't" situation when it comes to making the decision to delay or close schools. Especially on days like today. If they had made the call for delay, there would be just as many people biatching about that as there are people biatching about not having one.

B

Blueyedmdgrl

Charles should've delayed schools...we had accidents in the neighborhood, and a couple of the kids were late because of multiple accidents. I didn't think it was supposed to be that cold lastnight...dangerous stuff with all the winding roads!

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Charles should've delayed schools...we had accidents in the neighborhood, and a couple of the kids were late because of multiple accidents. I didn't think it was supposed to be that cold lastnight...dangerous stuff with all the winding roads!

Let em biatch!! The life of a child is more important. They'll get over it!!

If I had kids and they were in the school system, I would've pulled them out if they don't understand what happens to standing water when the temperature dives well below freezing. :smack:

Thave been numerous complaints this morning. Parents are absolutely pissed, teachers and staff are miffed and everyone is :banghead: over this. They screwed up today and they know it. They probably expected the roads to be better than they were. The SHA and the county government deserve just as much blame here... I mean, even some of the main roads (228, Middletown, Smallwood, St. Charles, etc.) were bad and the road leading to Diggs was a nightmare.

I fully expect a different decision to be made next time though. :yay:

J

JustinB

I thought this topic was going to be about Immigration and Customs Enforcement :lmao:

And to think it was just 48 hours ago folks were grumbling because SHA made the call to treat roads in case the temps took a dive...:ohwell:

A little FYI for you all: SHA was out pre treating the roads @ 0030 for this winter weather.

That smell in the air this morning is your tax dollars being burned to help stave off any frozen precip.