Volunteering

K

ketelone

I have an 8 year old daughter that is the biggest animal lover I have ever seen. She came to me last night and asked if I could find someplace for her to volunteer to take care of animals on the weekends. Either with horses or an animal shelter. She is a VERY mature 8 year old and Very well behaved. Any suggestions?

StRaIgHtFoRwArD

I have an 8 year old daughter that is the biggest animal lover I have ever seen. She came to me last night and asked if I could find someplace for her to volunteer to take care of animals on the weekends. Either with horses or an animal shelter. She is a VERY mature 8 year old and Very well behaved. Any suggestions?

Have you tried GreenWell State Park Equestrian Center, or the animal kennels on St. Andrews church rd.?

K

ketelone

Have you tried GreenWell State Park Equestrian Center, or the animal kennels on St. Andrews church rd.?

I am fairly new to the area and don't know where much is. I will check those out. Thanks!

I just didn't know if anybody on here had horses or fostered animals and needed some help.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I don't know of a place but sometimes insurance issues preclude the young children from working with the animals.

K

ketelone

I don't know of a place but sometimes insurance issues preclude the young children from working with the animals.

I thought about that but I just hated to not try. I wanted her to do something...a sport, maybe....and she came up with volunteering with animals so I thought I would try.

KMPaddy2255

I thought about that but I just hated to not try. I wanted her to do something...a sport, maybe....and she came up with volunteering with animals so I thought I would try.

When I was her age I volunteered for the SPCA.
Helped with rabies clinics, sold candy bars, etc....
You might want to check with them.

keekee

I'm sure that any of the rescue groups would take you up on fostering. They are desperate for families to foster animals waiting for homes. For an eight year old, I'd suggest maybe a small litter of kittens. Of course, you'd have to agree to be the foster, and let your daughter be your assistant. I did this with my daughter, and she loved every second. Beware though, we ended up with a new cat when it was all said & done. The kittens got adopted, but momma cat took longer, and my daughter fell in love with her.

You could try SMAWL
SMAWL - St. Mary's Animal Welfare League: Home Page

K

ketelone

I'm sure that any of the rescue groups would take you up on fostering. They are desperate for families to foster animals waiting for homes. For an eight year old, I'd suggest maybe a small litter of kittens. Of course, you'd have to agree to be the foster, and let your daughter be your assistant. I did this with my daughter, and she loved every second. Beware though, we ended up with a new cat when it was all said & done. The kittens got adopted, but momma cat took longer, and my daughter fell in love with her.

You could try SMAWL
SMAWL - St. Mary's Animal Welfare League: Home Page

Oh no, I can't foster any animals. I live on the base and can't have many animals in my house.

keekee

OH! Another idea - SMAWL has cats for adoption at Petco in California. They might need volunteers to go by & feed, clean, & love the cats. That might be an option for you & your daughter too.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
OH! Another idea - SMAWL has cats for adoption at Petco in California. They might need volunteers to go by & feed, clean, & love the cats. That might be an option for you & your daughter too.

Also they have adoption events that the kids can help at. OR in the spring they do rabies clinics. The kids can help with running back and forth between regriation and shots.

The animal fair in May is a big event and they always need help.

I know that being a horse owner I would be leary of having a child help with my horse. Mostly because of the liability.

Gwydion

I know that this is probably waaaaay too far for you, but when I was just a few years older than that I volunteered 2 nights a week and Saturdays at Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo up in Thurmont, Maryland. I got to do a bunch of children shows, carrying around lizards, alligators, snakes, bunnies, turtles, etc. while the owner of the zoo talked about them. I also got to feed all the animals, give tours, and tend to the animals behind the scenes. It was absolutely amazing.