Geese are destroying my yard! What to do?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
There is a pond a half a block away and I am innundated with these stinky obnoxious animals. They're the type with brown bodies and black heads.
I called animal control and the DNR and they both said there's nothing they can do. (If I shot them all there'd be something they would do I'll bet). They said I should scare them away by making noises, squirting them with a hose or shooing them away with a broom. They have crapped all over my yard and driveway and it is nasty. The hose wastes water and noise only scares them for a while. An hour later they're back.
I really don't care if some of you So Md folks want to come here and trap them all because it won't be long before I pull out the BB gun. (This is Md so I'll probably go to jail for shooting them in MY OWN YARD!) Any ideas that work? Thanks!

Unfortunately, they are there by instinct. It's part of their migratory path for generations. Before your house was ever built, there must have been fields with grasses and grains for them to eat.

We had the same problem in NY at the place I worked. We could do nothing as they were protected. Droppings everywhere.

frequentflier

happy to be living
There is a pond a half a block away and I am innundated with these stinky obnoxious animals. They're the type with brown bodies and black heads.
I called animal control and the DNR and they both said there's nothing they can do. (If I shot them all there'd be something they would do I'll bet). They said I should scare them away by making noises, squirting them with a hose or shooing them away with a broom. They have crapped all over my yard and driveway and it is nasty. The hose wastes water and noise only scares them for a while. An hour later they're back.
I really don't care if some of you So Md folks want to come here and trap them all because it won't be long before I pull out the BB gun. (This is Md so I'll probably go to jail for shooting them in MY OWN YARD!) Any ideas that work? Thanks!

Do you have a neighbor you don't like? Throw some tasty corn or tidbits in their yard and the geese will go over there.
Just kidding. I really don't know what to tell you!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Unfortunately, they are there by instinct. It's part of their migratory path for generations. Before your house was ever built, there must have been fields with grasses and grains for them to eat.

We had the same problem in NY at the place I worked. We could do nothing as they were protected. Droppings everywhere.
Yeah. I have to do something that looks humane. Is there any type of bird food that causes constipation??? Does alka seltzer work in geese as it works in seagulls? :whistle:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Do you have a neighbor you don't like? Throw some tasty corn or tidbits in their yard and the geese will go over there.
Just kidding. I really don't know what to tell you!
Most of them! That's not a bad idea but the food bill would be enormous. People feed them at the pond and they still come over to my yard when the food runs out. :shrug"

Xaquin44

be happy your lawn is getting aerated and fertillized for free and wait a week or two till they move on.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Ask USAirways to do a flyover.

dn0121

I have a big pond/lake in my back yard. I get geese, ducks, sea gulls, and lots of poop on my house and deck. Its pretty crappy.

Nanny Pam

tie out the tin pie plates to the trees. tie plastic grocery bags to the tree branches. They hate those things. They hate them worse if you paint them orange.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I had a similar problem with ducks in a swimming pool. DNR gave me a roll of mylar tape (the shiny metallic stuff used in ballons) about 1/4" wide. One side was red and the other silver. You put the tape about body (theirs) height with a few twists in it around the perimiter of the area you want to protect. Any slight breeze will cause the tape to move and the twists make it look like red flashes are running up and down the tape.
It worked
I had tried BB guns, snowballs, M80, bottle rockets and any other pyrotechnic I could get my hands on.

Kiwi

Ice cubes and a super sling shot.....
Ready, aim ,FIRE.........and no evidence to be found!!!:buddies:

Or get a yappy dog, put up a long overhead cable and tie out dog....and let the game begin...:yahoo: