Talk Radio...what is going on?

B

Bruzilla

First, I never take very seriously the words of a guy who poses for a publicity photo with his hand tucked under his chin.

Second, I think he's missed the biggest reason for the rise of talk radio, and it's not God... it's the almighty dollar. Television broadcasts, of any form, cost a huge amount of money compared to the cost per broadcast hour of radio. Basically, it was the only media outlet that anyone with opinions that differed from the mainstream could afford.

As an Agnostic, I have to agree with his statements about editors not wanting to pass important stories off to holy rollers, but I think it's a good practice. Reporters need to be as objective as possible, and attibuting "God's will" to the cause of a problem gets a bit annoying.

J

justhangn

I think it's a good story, I don't totally agree with the opinion that the radio shows are so popular because of their beliefs, but I will say that the mainstream media is so ridiculously biased, it isn't funny.

I do believe that the people of this country have had their core beliefs ripped from their chest by shear ignorance. They bow to the TV like it is their God and for that, they pay a hearty price. Even the most basic decency is missing in the general public, if you don’t believe me, think of your commute.

Hessian

AM Talk belongs to Coservative/Libertarian?

I recall the long held paranoid rant of Lady Macbeth Clinton that a vast right wing conspiracy is out for them...might this actually be the syndicate of conservative talk-show listeners?

I also recall an attempt by Cuomo to run a Liberal talk show-utter failure.

Now I heard that Gore is putting together a "younger-hipper" network that is "in touch" but does not watch the news. (huh?) And the goal: outreach the younger generation at risk of losing its Liberal weaning....is this yet another attempt that will fail?

The conservative message will continue even though there are some in Government that are trying to figure out ways to interrupt the natural free market tendencies of radio (consolidation). The liberal print media cried to crush it by headlining it "Hate speech"...even Ed Asner was gleeful over Rush's crisis and openly stated that Sean Hannity is next on the list (is there a vast left-wing Hollywood conspiracy???)

Anyone want to explain why Liberal radio just won't make it?

B

Bruzilla

I agree that the new Gore radio (i.e., GM) is going to fail. Why do Liberal radio efforts fail? Because there's no real need or interest for them. They're like adding another two women's shoe stores at the mall.:biggrin: People are already saturated by Liberalness in the newspapers and on the TV news, why would they be interested in listening to the same tripe on the radio? Conservative talk radio grew an audience because they were saying things that you didn't hear said by the other media sources.

So Gore's going to do for MTV News what CNN did for the nightly news cast? I doubt it. It will probably be insulting to most adults and too boring for teens. Maybe he'll talk to the folks at ABCC who turned "This Week" into a more hipper/younger show.:biggrin: What a success story that has been.