Baby Mice

SShewbert

What love is all about
Ok so we found a nest of baby mice in the bottom of my closet. How do I deal with them? I dont want them to die.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ok so we found a nest of baby mice in the bottom of my closet. How do I deal with them? I dont want them to die.

Are you ####in me??

They're VERMIN.. they carry disease..

Do you have any kids??? Maybe you can get rid of one of them so you can convert their room into a mouse nursery..

Cowgirl

If you don't want them to die, you have to leave them there. How old are they? Fur? Eyes open? Crawling around?

SShewbert

What love is all about
If you don't want them to die, you have to leave them there. How old are they? Fur? Eyes open? Crawling around?

How am I supposed to know how old they are? They dont have any fur and the eyes are closed so I am figuring they are pretty young. They are crawling a little though.

Cowgirl

How am I supposed to know how old they are?

I was asking you those questions so I could help you figure it out. :lol:

They dont have any fur and the eyes are closed so I am figuring they are pretty young. They are crawling a little though.

No fur at all? Smooth pink skin or fuzz? If it's smooth pink skin, they're only a day or two old. They start growing fur within several days. It's gonna take 3 weeks before they start eating "adult" food. Honestly, unless you keep them there (and risk the mom moving them and/or having more litters), you can't really keep them alive. Baby mice are very hard to raise. I'm not sure how you'd go about moving them. You could try maybe getting a live trap and see if you can trap momma and move them somewhere. I'm not sure if she'd stick around once you moved her and her litter though.

SShewbert

What love is all about
I was asking you those questions so I could help you figure it out. :lol:

No fur at all? Smooth pink skin or fuzz? If it's smooth pink skin, they're only a day or two old. They start growing fur within several days. It's gonna take 3 weeks before they start eating "adult" food. Honestly, unless you keep them there (and risk the mom moving them and/or having more litters), you can't really keep them alive. Baby mice are very hard to raise. I'm not sure how you'd go about moving them. You could try maybe getting a live trap and see if you can trap momma and move them somewhere. I'm not sure if she'd stick around once you moved her and her litter though.

Ok sorry about that. Ok on second look they are grey so I think they have a light layer of hair. But there eyes are not open. But it looks like they are starting to try.

Cowgirl

Ok sorry about that. Ok on second look they are grey so I think they have a light layer of hair. But there eyes are not open. But it looks like they are starting to try.

Well, their eyes open around two weeks old. Think about it though, do you really want all those mice breeding in your house? Gestation is only 21 days, and they can start breeding at a young age. :shrug: I don't know what to tell you.

SShewbert

What love is all about
Well, their eyes open around two weeks old. Think about it though, do you really want all those mice breeding in your house? Gestation is only 21 days, and they can start breeding at a young age. :shrug: I don't know what to tell you.

Not really but I hate animals dying. I dont want that being my fault. I guess no one would take them huh. Man I dont know what to do. I guess I could put them outside and just hope that the mother would go to them and not think of it. IDK.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Not really but I hate animals dying. I dont want that being my fault. I guess no one would take them huh. Man I dont know what to do. I guess I could put them outside and just hope that the mother would go to them and not think of it. IDK.

I'll take them, my lizard would enjoy them :yum:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao:

Shewbert, if you don't get rid of those baby mice, they become big mice. Then they have babies, and before you know it you are infested. I'm sure, logically, that you realize this.

:lol:

L

luckystar

Don't you have a husband or a friend or something? Get them to do it.

This is what I would do. But don't feel bad, I'd feel just as guilty. I cringe at the sight of a friend cheering because he finally caught that mouse that's been scampering around the garage... and then waves the mousetrap around like a trophy :(

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Several years ago I was moving some things around in our shed and came upon a nest of pinkies. I pulled out an old blanket or something and completely disturbed the nest. I :tantrum "Otter, what do I do?" Of course, I got THAT look. I was :bawl: but I knew I couldn't (and really didn't want to) raise them so I gently pushed them through the hole in the shed floor. I felt horribly guilty but I had no choice.

Cowgirl

Several years ago I was moving some things around in our shed and came upon a nest of pinkies. I pulled out an old blanket or something and completely disturbed the nest. I :tantrum "Otter, what do I do?" Of course, I got THAT look. I was :bawl: but I knew I couldn't (and really didn't want to) raise them so I gently pushed them through the hole in the shed floor. I felt horribly guilty but I had no choice.

Did you know chickens will eat pinky mice?