18 game season, done deal - Adam Schefter

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This will be interesting. More players on the roster, less pre-season, two more weeks of misery for Skins fans.:lol:

:lol:

Nope. 18 games mean each game means less. Think about it.

For every argument in favor of this, more games to see, more chances to hang in there and make a late run for the playoffs, there is an (at least) equal argument that there will be just that many more meaningless games.

Certainly, more of something is good to a point and the question is; where is that point?

NFL owners; killing their golden goose. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wasn't around then but weren't people saying the same going from 12-14 and then 14-16?

No. There were no internets. People didn't talk back then. :shrug:

14 was a weird number. I don't remember 12. I remember thinking it was silly to add Carolina and the Oilers moving only to then get the Texans. When St. Louis moved to Arizona I remember thinking it was becoming silly. When reorganization came to 8 balanced divisions of 4 teams, being happier than the old system of some 5 teams divs and some 4.

16 games has become a good number. I can see adding 2 more teams to the playoffs per conference so that the first round byes are no more but, then, that's half the league making the playoffs.

I dunno. 18 just sounds dumb.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I dunno. 18 just sounds dumb.
Maybe its an acquired taste.:lol:

I'm on the fence on this one. I want more football and less pre-season would be a plus. Some have said that it would cheapen the game because players that wouldn't ordinarily be on a roster would now be on a roster. I would kind of like it because of that fact. There would be more drama, more cool stories about Larry Gude Jr. getting a shot and making the most of it.

Anyways, this was inevitable according to the owners. A lot of them said they could force the issue and make it 21 games according to the contract. However, they wanted to be fair.:lol: This issue was one of the key components to getting a collective bargaining agreement done. It has been said that if this passes that an agreement would be more likely.

If it came down to 18 games or no football I'd go the 18 game route.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

But, that's a false choice. It's not all or nothing.

We are already bloated with umpteen entertainment choices in already very busy lives. How many NFL fans already are already trying to balance football Sundays with family and other interests? Ticket holders are already struggling to commit 8 full days to going to the stadium, already struggling to justify the cost in time and money.

Two more games?

I was talking to a brother in law yesterday and he pointed out that we are, as of this coming Sunday, a quarter over with the season and every game matters and many Sundays are already committed to get togethers, the food, drinks, etc.

I could be totally wrong about this but, adding two more games, as I say, has a negative for every positive and the added detriment of, in my view, simply being too much.

I don't want football in August, not real games. The Superbowl is already pushed to February. What they gonna do? Hold it in June alongside the Stanley Cup? :lol:

This marks the decline of the NFL. :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

We are already bloated with umpteen entertainment choices in already very busy lives. How many NFL fans already are already trying to balance football Sundays with family and other interests? Ticket holders are already struggling to commit 8 full days to going to the stadium, already struggling to justify the cost in time and money.

Two more games?

I was talking to a brother in law yesterday and he pointed out that we are, as of this coming Sunday, a quarter over with the season and every game matters and many Sundays are already committed to get togethers, the food, drinks, etc.

I could be totally wrong about this but, adding two more games, as I say, has a negative for every positive and the added detriment of, in my view, simply being too much.

I don't want football in August, not real games. The Superbowl is already pushed to February. What they gonna do? Hold it in June alongside the Stanley Cup? :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Two more games?