2009 Garden

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Got the scarecrow up in the garden and took a picture last night after doing some weeding. Been picking spinach, lettuce, broccoli, beets, collards, onions and wild flowers so far. This is only half the garden I usually plant. I fenced in some of the land and planted grass for the horses. No one in my farmhouse likes vegetables so I've been the only one eating the fruits of my labor. I usually have 60 + tomato plants. This year I have 12. What a difference taking care of a small garden!

Attachments

• Garden2009.jpg
    Garden2009.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 207

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Ahhh, the fruits of our labor!

Pretty garden, glad to hear you're harvesting so much.

I was late/lazy getting mine in this year, missed the early spring crops. And the new puppy loves to run through the garden, she's already broken a couple of plants off. Oh well, she'll learn!

lam2

tickled~pink
I have never had a garden, yours is wonderful. I think next year I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm a veggie kind of girl.

D

dems4me

Got the scarecrow up in the garden and took a picture last night after doing some weeding. Been picking spinach, lettuce, broccoli, beets, collards, onions and wild flowers so far. This is only half the garden I usually plant. I fenced in some of the land and planted grass for the horses. No one in my farmhouse likes vegetables so I've been the only one eating the fruits of my labor. I usually have 60 + tomato plants. This year I have 12. What a difference taking care of a small garden!

Very nice!! I love it!! :clap:

me123

Wow! that looks great!! I'm planning on starting a garden i know its too late in the year to do anything but one day i would love to have a garden like that!!

If you have any tips on planning a first garden please let me know! I'm so clueless when it comes to gardening but i really want to learn and have been doing my research...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Wow! that looks great!! I'm planning on starting a garden i know its too late in the year to do anything but one day i would love to have a garden like that!!

If you have any tips on planning a first garden please let me know! I'm so clueless when it comes to gardening but i really want to learn and have been doing my research...

If you want to do a garden next year (we're thinking of the same thing) now would be the time to start. You can get the soil ready, kill all the grass and weeds, turn it, amend it, cover it with plastic until next growing season..

OR, our plan is to build several elevated garden plots. Fill with compost and peat, build in drip irrigation, and use PVC pipe to use to make temporary covers, plascit for early spring and fall, and nets for harvest time... Cover with plastic until next spring, that'll ensure NOTHING is alive in the boxes, then plant until our hearts content.

May even go out in the rain and pick up worms off of the driveway to put into the boxes.

Cowgirl

It's not too late! There are still plenty of veggies you can grow and harvest this year!

Vince

Nice. Mine is only half that size and I have too much. 10 tomato plants, 6 cabbage, 10 pepper plants, etc. I don't can anything anymore. Used to, but it's too much trouble. With tough times ahead, I may start canning again and double the size of the garden.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I was turning the compost pile this morning, and what did I turn up? One of those brown, pink-bellied snakes. And where did he slither to? Right back into the compost pile.:jameo:

Stepped into the woods last week to check on the ripening of the wild blueberries and set my foot down less than 2 ft from a 5 ft long black snake.:jameo:

I hate snakes. :jameo:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I find lots of baby snakes in my mulch and compost piles. Found eggs in one once and they ended up hatching out snakes. I always wear gloves when I'm working in there.

I have lots of wild raspberries growing on my farm, they will be ready to pick soon. I either make jelly or wine out of them and also save some for baking. I have three blueberry bushes and I've been picking them every day for about a week now. Still have some blueberries left from last year, going to make some pies soon.