235 Traffic congestion

BernieP

Resident PIA
Somewhere in the last couple of weeks both the morning and evening commutes on 235 have turned into a huge parking lot.
No accidents of note and it's been the same regardless of weather conditions.
It's not more people coming to Pax River because when you get to gate 1 the traffic is not backed up in the least.

My only though is that MVA has changed the timing on some lights. It seems that the intersections at 4 and Chancellors Run ot mpw tales severa; cjamges pf tje ;ohjt tp c;ear/

Anybody have knowledge and can we hope to see it improve in the near future?

Otter

Nothing to see here
Somewhere in the last couple of weeks both the morning and evening commutes on 235 have turned into a huge parking lot.
No accidents of note and it's been the same regardless of weather conditions.
It's not more people coming to Pax River because when you get to gate 1 the traffic is not backed up in the least.

My only though is that MVA has changed the timing on some lights. It seems that the intersections at 4 and Chancellors Run ot mpw tales severa; cjamges pf tje ;ohjt tp c;ear/

Anybody have knowledge and can we hope to see it improve in the near future?

South bound light at Mervell Dean and 235 has been shortchanging since last Wednesday

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I agree that the light at 235 and Mervell Dean is being cut short. I was backed up past Beautiful Kitchens this morning. The light went from green to red before I even got to move.

The same for 234 and 4. You barely get moving on 235 before it is red again. Route 4 gets the green light for a long time. Just doesn't make sense to me. You would think 235 would get a green light just as long.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I noticed it this morning. It seems as though I hit every red light there was. Unusual at 6 in the morning.

OldHillcrestGuy

Maybe a couple of weeks ago, when they had the air show, they did something to the timing to get traffic flowing faster to somewhere and havent changed things back. Just thought not a Sermon.:shrug:

Beta84

They're out to get us
ot mpw tales severa; cjamges pf tje ;ohjt tp c;ear/
proof reading is your friend. obviously you type without looking and shifted your fingers over one because i could still interpret that...but still! :lol:

Maybe its that there are sooo many lights... and they just keep coming up with more...
that's because there are an increasing number of places that need traffic lights due to the increasing number of people moving to the area as a result of the base. It's called safety and it's a necessity.

The traffic lights are more than likely the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if some timing has been changed. I noticed a couple backups yesterday at times where there really shouldn't have been any backup. Maybe they'll get smart and fix it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
proof reading is your friend. obviously you type without looking and shifted your fingers over one because i could still interpret that...but still! :lol:

that's because there are an increasing number of places that need traffic lights due to the increasing number of people moving to the area as a result of the base. It's called safety and it's a necessity.

The traffic lights are more than likely the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if some timing has been changed. I noticed a couple backups yesterday at times where there really shouldn't have been any backup. Maybe they'll get smart and fix it.

Oops - thank you.

"Increasing" is a myth, we haven't grown that much. The irony was that the traffic inside gate 1 was light.

4/235 was backed up to Wildewook
Maple/235 was backing up thru Town Creek and beyond
Exploration Dr / 235 also appears to now back up big time.

Thinking it's more about more time for those cross streets to empty - they've robbed Peter to pay Paul.

And no, I hold no hope that SHA will get it right.

vbailey

vbailey
My son has been late to school last couple of days because of the back up, and we left the house earlier this morning because he was late yesterday, and today was worse!

Beta84

They're out to get us
Oops - thank you.

"Increasing" is a myth, we haven't grown that much. The irony was that the traffic inside gate 1 was light.

4/235 was backed up to Wildewook
Maple/235 was backing up thru Town Creek and beyond
Exploration Dr / 235 also appears to now back up big time.

Thinking it's more about more time for those cross streets to empty - they've robbed Peter to pay Paul.

And no, I hold no hope that SHA will get it right.

Exploration/Expedition pisses me off...even late at night I've been stuck at that light. Excuse me? there's NOBODY going through there. it needs a sensor instead of timer crap.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Exploration/Expedition pisses me off...even late at night I've been stuck at that light. Excuse me? there's NOBODY going through there. it needs a sensor instead of timer crap.

Day and night... there is probably one time, around 5pm, where that light needs to be as long as it is.

Toxick

Splat
The lights along 235 are engineered to maximize waiting times for everyone.

I don't know if this was done deliberately, but it's definitely a fact. You can't really tell on a heavy traffic day since the sea of cars is endless - but on any given moderate/light traffic day, just try to enter 235 from one of the many tributary roads with redlights. Almost invariably the light will be red for you, and you'll wait. And wait... There will almost no traffic near you on 235, but you'll still have to wait.

And then if you're watching up or down 235, you'll see a huge cluster of traffic coming toward you (presumably just released from the previous redlight). When they get near you - your light will finally change.

Maximized waiting time for you - maximized waiting time for them.

It's a delight to behold.

It's no surprise that when light-times are geared to maximize everyone's delay, traffic will reach a critical mass and the delay will become self-sustaining.