Great Mills RD ? Lexington Park revitalization

BernieP

Resident PIA
Read in the paper recently were contracts have been awarded to upgrade the infastructure. It mentioned new sidewalks.
Question is are they going to add lighting?
How about cleaning up / or cleaning out some of the buildings and the weeds and other overgrown vegitation along the road?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Step 1 to revitalizing the area would be to bulldoze Rose's, the motel, and all the ghetto housing over there. Otherwise they're not gonna do much and need not waste their time.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Step 1 to revitalizing the area would be to bulldoze Rose's, the motel, and all the ghetto housing over there. Otherwise they're not gonna do much and need not waste their time.

I guess they will be welcome to get section 8 and move in your neighborhood!!:killingme

Toxick

Splat

So all the prostitutes and crack dealers will have to find a new place to hang out :yay:

I sure hope they move into my neighborhood.

C

citizen_fear

All of LP City is a S hole in my opinion, it's like you drive through a time warp when you cut across from 235 on the road where the theatre is and come out next to Exxon. Holy Crap, what is this place. LOL

Beta84

They're out to get us
All of LP City is a S hole in my opinion, it's like you drive through a time warp when you cut across from 235 on the road where the theatre is and come out next to Exxon. Holy Crap, what is this place. LOL

LP City is alot more than that. There are some decent areas. You just go through the ghetto part.

C

citizen_fear

LP City is alot more than that. There are some decent areas. You just go through the ghetto part.

When you cross that cut through, it's ALL GHETTO. From gate 2 to Mckays, what am I missing?

Beta84

They're out to get us
When you cross that cut through, it's ALL GHETTO. From gate 2 to Mckays, what am I missing?

That's why they call it Ghetto Mills Rd. There are some better parts off of Rte 2, Hermanville Rd (or is that actually called Hermanville?), some parts of the Cedar Cove area near Gate 3...not sure if there is much else.

The first question to ask is...

Where the hell did all the money go that was supposedly spent by the Lexington Park Revitalization group over the past few years? How much is Robin Finnacom, director of the Community Development Corporation and Director of the Lexington Park plan since 2004, being paid?

Maybe a good start to any revitalization effort would be at the intersection of Chancellor's Run and Great Mills. While there is no ordinance in St. Mary's that allows removal of an abandoned structure, there are ordinances that deal with unsafe and unsightly property. Start laying enough hefty fines on the owners and sooner or later they may get the message. If not, tear 'em down and dare them to sue!

glhs837

Power with Control
I agree that there shold be some vehicle for doing something about those gas stations. Just keeping the vegtation under control would be a start.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

You just included all of the Military Housing in Glen Forest plus the new Library and the new Elementary School. As someone else mentioned - what you have seen is not always all there is. I live, work and worship in Lexington Park and have never had a moment of trouble. BTW you might be surprised and there are Section 8's where you live. It's not just rundown houses that get Section 8's all of the time.

JustJade

It's the people that make the area

Changing an environment begins with the people who live there. You can dump as much money into making the buildings look good and streets and grass pretty, but if the people who live there don't respect their own property and their own personal selves what makes anyone think the area will be improved?

Unfortunately many of the people who are living in LP City are part of a broken system. They came to the system broken and there they shall remain. Their attitude reflects a "there's not enough for me" so they take from anyone they can. They expect a hand out and unfortunately the hand out isn't enough so they have to take and hurt others.

People don't feel safe there and no amount of paint, spackle, mulch and anything else they're trying to toss into the revitalizing of LP will help until the people who live there change.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You just included all of the Military Housing in Glen Forest plus the new Library and the new Elementary School. As someone else mentioned - what you have seen is not always all there is. I live, work and worship in Lexington Park and have never had a moment of trouble. BTW you might be surprised and there are Section 8's where you live. It's not just rundown houses that get Section 8's all of the time.

First off we have to define what is Lexingotn Park and what just has a Lexington Park postal address.
Property values for anyone having a Lexington Park address are affected by the perception of Lexington Park - which for most is that strip from Gate 2 to Rt 5 (though somewhere in there it becomes "Great Mills")
Sorry, if the buildings aren't a dump, their landscaping is. It is the least attractive seciton of road I can think of.
One ordinance this county could use is one that limits the number and hours of liquor stores. It seems that there is one every 100 yards along that stretch of road. Then again I guess that says a lot of an area that no shopping center can exist without it's anchor liquor store.

glhs837

Power with Control
Lets see. Theres the Millenium one, in Millison plaza, the one behind the tire joint, the cut Rate one next to Roses, then you get none until Canopy, then the one in St Marys Square, then International (My personal fave, if you like good beer, those guys rock) then Mckays, then the one across from the Philipinno restaraunt.

So, thats what, 8 liquor stores in the 3.5 miles. 5250 or so feet in a mile, thers only one every 2,200 feet or so.:)