'Cow Killer' ...

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
or 'Velvet Ant'.
I saw one of these at Flag Ponds last weekend.
I read that they are really wasps, not ants.
The female is wingless and I've heard that her
bite will really put a hurtin' on yer ass !

Last edited:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
or 'Velvet Ant'.

My son found one years ago, I won't want to be bit either :eek:uch:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Here's something you probably don't know.

Some of them actually scream. I'm not sure if it's the male or female but they do scream.

I had an 8th grade bug project. After freezing the velvet ant/cow killer we tried to stick it to our posterboard only to find out that it was still alive. We had to chase it around and eventually pin it. All the while it was screaming at us. Fascinating and creepy at the same instance.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I had an 8th grade bug project. After freezing the velvet ant/cow killer we tried to stick it to our posterboard only to find out that it was still alive. We had to chase it around and eventually pin it. All the while it was screaming at us. Fascinating and creepy at the same instance.

Weird. :eyebrow:

BTW, :howdy:!

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Here's something you probably don't know.

Some of them actually scream. I'm not sure if it's the male or female but they do scream.

I hate screamers...I like moaners..

CountryLady

luvmyponies
or 'Velvet Ant'.

I've been finding them a lot more lately.
First one I ever saw actually found me where I work, about three years ago.
At the time I had no idea what it was really called.
It looked like a red velvet fire ant to me, so I googled it.:whistle:
I guess it is some what apropriately named. :killingme I let this guy go, having never seen them before, my motto is usually live and let live.

Last year at the stables where I boarded, about 7, came crawling out of the side of the old wooden barn (during varing times). Hard little suckers to kill too. :whistle: Way too close for comfort, ya know what I mean!

Found one again this year just the other day. Had a little funeral for that one too.

Lived here most of my life (most of it outside or on horse back) and had never seen them before. Not sure why now the sudden influx of the little (and I say that lightly) creature.

Last edited: