Speed trap

You should hear them up in Mechanicsville. Pulling people over left and right, talking about the double time they will get paid. Oh, and one guy said, if court date is your day off more overtime. What BS.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
You should hear them up in Mechanicsville. Pulling people over left and right, talking about the double time they will get paid. Oh, and one guy said, if court date is your day off more overtime. What BS.

Yeah, they aren't sounding smart at all. I thought thats what they have cell phones for.

eddy1

This time you are correct. That is b.s. They only get time and a half. :killingme

Last edited:
L

Localboy

They are out on overtime. They are using grant money that MUST be used on traffic enforcement.

bcp

In My Opinion
I think speed traps are a good idea.
When they do it around here, they come out one day and just make a show of it, pull over a few speeders, write a few tickets etc.. and then go on their way.
for the next week or so, they are gone, but the average speed of the traffic stays down pretty close to the limit.

anytime they want to sit in my driveway and run radar around the trees, they are welcome to it.. hell, Ill even leave the camper open and powered up so they can make coffee, lunch whatever.

foodcritic

Why is that BS? I think if you spent anytime at ANY police dept. the biggest complaint you will get from the citizens is that people are speeding in their neighborhood. So they listen to the people and do some enforcement and they get bashed for doing it. It's a no win situation folks. :coffee:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Why is that BS? I think if you spent anytime at ANY police dept. the biggest complaint you will get from the citizens is that people are speeding in their neighborhood. So they listen to the people and do some enforcement and they get bashed for doing it. It's a no win situation folks. :coffee:

He's talking about them gloating over the radio about the money they're making off of it.

tygrace

That's definitely another way to look at it. I for one, didn't look at it that way. Thanks for the different outlook.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
How many officers does STM employ that patrol our roads? I am excluding any BCI, detectives or other special services in my question.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Jealous? Criminals? Got nothing better to do?

I really liked when one officer spelled out Arbys with their codes, asking if any of them wanted him to pick up anything WHILE he was earning the grant money to enforce speed. Not real smart.......

glhs837

Power with Control
235 hardly qualifies as a neighborhood. And personally, I would rather see that grant money spent on actually cracking down on unsafe driving practices such as improper lane changes, improper merges, and failures to yield. Of course, those offenses are hard to catch, and grants require numbers if you want them next year. Sorry ass catch-22. We give grants to for "aggressive driving" enforcement, but mostly all we do is catch folks going 10-12 over and make numbers for the report, we dont actually make the roads safer, except that we do sometimes catch the odd drunk or warrant.

We've covered this before, %90 of speeders are not unsafe, but its easy to prove, you make big numbers in short time, the "fish in a barrel" syndrome, and get more grant money for more overtime next year. Ive nothing against officers making bank on overtime, just wish it did more to actually catch and punish poor drivers that actually endanger others.

eddy1

I really liked when one officer spelled out Arbys with their codes, asking if any of them wanted him to pick up anything WHILE he was earning the grant money to enforce speed. Not real smart.......

You don't eat at work?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

Your buddy said that he was on a death investigation for two hours today, so he only got four hours on the speed trap and they "needed" to eat up that grant money, but maybe he could get the two hours overtime elsewhere?

This was the chatter heard on the scanner. I didn't quite get it , but he was quite adamant about getting that overtime on the grant and he had "only written four citations and one warning and one guy was a federal employee that had tags for his boat trailer" so he let him go.

Hello??? Listening to this crap over the scanner does not make a taxpayer happy, especially when these guys could be in LP City picking up hookers and dealers. But that's just my opinion. I could NOT believe what the one cop was saying over the scanner. Not sure if it was the Sheriff's Department or State, but how friggin embarassing for whatever department it was.

Glad they spelled out "Arbys" so us dumbasses couldn't understand it. I wonder if the grant money paid for that meal?