Moonlighting Ideas

Second job is a ray of hope for debtors

An additional job does not have to be forever but it should be considered to get that income up to weather a storm or to get that income up to get that debt out of your life forever. My Dad has always said "figure out what others dislike doing and you will always find work. Maybe even find a business idea."

How about some moonlighting ideas? I'll start:

Tutoring services

Shadetree mechanic

Pizza delivery

Mowing yards

Overtime at work (sometimes you just have to ask)

Reputable Distributorships

spinner

cleaning

Cleaning, houses small business. I've been trying to find somebody to clean my small shop on a regular basis for months. I don't have the time or the energy.

Yard clean up- again had to find somebody to come because of lack of time.

molly_21

I do not think pizza delivery is a good option anymore. One of my friends boyfriend works at a pizza delivery place and said that people do order pizza delivery do not tip as much anymore. She said that more people end up ordering pizza on their way home from work and pick it up themselves.
Something to consider.

Cleaning, houses small business. I've been trying to find somebody to clean my small shop on a regular basis for months. I don't have the time or the energy.

Yard clean up- again had to find somebody to come because of lack of time.

Thomas Edison is quoted to have said, "opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

The light number of posted moonlighting ideas has surprised me. With the news dominated by stories of people hurting one would think something like this would be a hot topic.

Thoughts?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
When I worked a second job as a bartender, I only worked ~20 hours per week at this job, but it paid very well.

I don't miss the work, because it was exhausting work, but I absolutely miss the extra money and some of my wonderful regular customers.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a part time job as a flasher.
Was goin' to give it up but I think
I'll stick it out a few more years !

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
When I worked a second job as a bartender, I only worked ~20 hours per week at this job, but it paid very well.

I don't miss the work, because it was exhausting work, but I absolutely miss the extra money and some of my wonderful regular customers.

I agree that bartending or waitressing is probably the best way to make quick cash. I brought home from 200- 400 per week in the years I did it part time. I usually worked 2-3 nights a week and even though it was exhausting it made the ends meet on the bills.

My oldest has been working at Walmart in produce dept. this summer and for a 19 yr old with no bills she brings home close to 400 every two weeks. She works between 25- 32 hours and they started her above 8$ ph. She gets and extra 1$ ph to work on Sunday as she is today. I would also consider this type of job a decent way to make extra money for someone who was willing to work 4-5 extra hours per night and maybe a longer weekend shift day.

Of course if I needed a second job again I would probably go back to bartending as tips are instant and you carry them home each night you work.

RPMDAD

I do not think pizza delivery is a good option anymore. One of my friends boyfriend works at a pizza delivery place and said that people do order pizza delivery do not tip as much anymore. She said that more people end up ordering pizza on their way home from work and pick it up themselves.
Something to consider.

Also with the price of gas now it has to be hard. I know for example for the pizza delivery guy/gal that comes to our house it is roughly a 20 mile round trip, depending on the car they are driving roughly a gallon of gas. $3.00 tip and that covers a gallon of gas and puts approx. 50 cents in their pocket. Now if they have 2 or 3 deliveries at the same time in the neighborhood they can make out a little better. I am not that big of a pizza fan on the delivery side, most of the pizza's i really like the restaurants don't deliver, so i am never going to tip over $3.00 for a pizza from Poppa John's or Dominoes

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think we should all say screw it and declare bankruptcy. All of us middle class types who are getting the shaft while banks and credit companies are being bailed out with our tax dollars. See how they like us then.

I mean, you're going to take a second job for what? So you can pay more in taxes and feed the piggy that made it so you couldn't afford your bills in the first place?

OldHillcrestGuy

My oldest has been working at Walmart in produce dept. this summer and for a 19 yr old with no bills she brings home close to 400 every two weeks. She works between 25- 32 hours and they started her above 8$ ph.

Was she working this past Saturday around noon.:shrug: Saw a cute girl working in produce that caught my eye, thought to myself, thats something you dont see to often in the produce department.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Something to consider.

Depends, when I was going to school full time (about 5 years ago), I worked a few different places delivering pizzas.

The tips are dependent on who you work for.

One pizza place was a welfare joint. Cheap pizza and sandwiches, and when the welfare checks rolled in we were the busiest. VERY little in the way of tips.. We had one sandwich on our menu that was $4.98, I can't tell you how many times I was handed a five and told "Keep the change". The drivers all knew who tipped and who didn't.

I changed delievery companies, a total different clientele, better neighborhoods, and MAYBE got stiffed on a tip once. On a good night I'd go home with a pocket full of money.

Attitude has a lot to do with it too. If you're nice, polite, make small talk, compliment their kids, or their dog/cat if they don't have kids.. I would get tips from people that the other drivers wouldn't deliver too because they NEVER tipped.

SamSpade

Depends, when I was going to school full time (about 5 years ago), I worked a few different places delivering pizzas.

I made really good money delivering pizzas, but there were at least a handful of things that broke my way.

One was, I delivered from a centrally located shop in a town with only three traffic lights. It was a largely residential - little commercial land - area with large townhouse and apartment residences. Most of the town was blue-collar. We made a small fortune on big wrestling nights and sports nights.

Since I would close every night, management gave me the plum routes and made a more concerted effort to line up my deliveries for multiple deliveries per run.

And I would do what every smart driver does. For instance, on nights when it is raining, make sure that you arrive soaked to the skin, or in any way, at least LOOK pitiful or cold and miserable. I would visit the bathroom before a delivery just to be sure my head and shoulders were wet. Carry lots of ones and make change with ones. No one is going to make change for you - if you give them a five and a one back, they'll give you a one. If you give them six ones, you might get two. Give them the change first, or they will wave it off and say "keep it" and you'll get less than a dollar.

Dawdle slightly when making change and try to have them keep the door open. People like to have their door closed. It speeds up the transaction and encourages them to wave off any change.

Take the deliveries to customers you know pay well, or who are usually drunk. Drunks often tip VERY well.

I don't know how the deliveries work at most places, but where I was, it was basically first come, first gets the delivery - so it pays to hustle.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!

One pizza place was a welfare joint. Cheap pizza and sandwiches, and when the welfare checks rolled in we were the busiest. VERY little in the way of tips.. We had one sandwich on our menu that was $4.98, I can't tell you how many times I was handed a five and told "Keep the change". The drivers all knew who tipped and who didn't.

I changed delievery companies, a total different clientele, better neighborhoods, and MAYBE got stiffed on a tip once. On a good night I'd go home with a pocket full of money.

Attitude has a lot to do with it too. If you're nice, polite, make small talk, compliment their kids, or their dog/cat if they don't have kids.. I would get tips from people that the other drivers wouldn't deliver too because they NEVER tipped.

The Amish are nice but they are not big tippers either from my experiences delivering Pizzas.

RPMDAD

The Amish are nice but they are not big tippers either from my experiences delivering Pizzas.

I never pictured Amish people eating pizza, am curious if they don't have phones how do they call in the order, or do they have phones. I know they shy away from a lot of modern conveniences.