Electric Hot Water Heater Timer

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!

I've been thinking about getting a nice hot water heater timer to save on the electric bill.

Does anyone have one? If so; does it significantly save money on the electric bill?

Respectfully,
Jiggles

jsouthan

I've been thinking about getting a nice hot water heater timer to save on the electric bill.

Does anyone have one? If so; does it significantly save money on the electric bill?

Respectfully,
Jiggles

I would think that it would take more electricity to bring the water up to temperature after being off for a period of time. I have heard that the insulating blankets that you can get to wrap around your hot water heaters help reduce the cost to run them, though.

limblips

PREMO Member

Respectfully,
Jiggles

Why do you want to heat hot water?:howdy:

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
Why do you want to heat hot water?:howdy:

:howdy:True, "hot water heater" is an oxymoron. I read that the hot water heater is the biggest energy consumer in the house next to the AC. Supposedly they run 24-7 to maintain their temperature. So...if you only need it a couple hours a day.....maybe have it on for 8. Trying to see if someone has done this already and if actually does save money.

I think I will try what Jsouthan suggested and turn it down a little for now. (thank you good sir)

I don't want to turn my AC from 74 to 78 to save money on the electric bill. That would make the upstairs in the low 80's.

$0.16 a killowatt hour is crazy.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
:howdy:True, "hot water heater" is an oxymoron. I read that the hot water heater is the biggest energy consumer in the house next to the AC. Supposedly they run 24-7 to maintain their temperature. So...if you only need it a couple hours a day.....maybe have it on for 8. Trying to see if someone has done this already and if actually does save money.

I think I will try what Jsouthan suggested and turn it down a little for now. (thank you good sir)

I don't want to turn my AC from 74 to 78 to save money on the electric bill. That would make the upstairs in the low 80's.

$0.16 a killowatt hour is crazy.

Tankless Water Heater uses very little electricity. I have one and it only heat up the water when you need it. Since we got rid of tank water heater to tankless water heater, I've seen $200 a month dropped off my monthly electricity bill.

Here's the link: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...7294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=Tankless+water+heater

ylexot

Super Genius
Tankless Water Heater uses very little electricity. I have one and it only heat up the water when you need it. Since we got rid of tank water heater to tankless water heater, I've seen $200 a month dropped off my monthly electricity bill.

Here's the link: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...7294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=Tankless+water+heater

FYI, I did some looking after you posted earlier because the last time I checked, Bosch didn't make an electric model and Lowes didn't carry any electric tankless water heaters. Anyway, I found the AE-125 model (the bigger one) on eBay for $400 shipped!
BOSCH POWERSTAR AE125 TANKLESS WATER HEATER AE-125 NEW! - eBay (item 110425756066 end time Aug-25-09 15:22:29 PDT)

The biggest drawback is that it will take some electrical and plumbing work to put it in. I'd like to get one, but I'll need to put in two more breakers (if the panel can handle it) and two more power lines to install it. :ohwell:

SamSpade

FYI, I did some looking after you posted earlier because the last time I checked, Bosch didn't make an electric model and Lowes didn't carry any electric tankless water heaters. Anyway, I found the AE-125 model (the bigger one) on eBay for $400 shipped!
BOSCH POWERSTAR AE125 TANKLESS WATER HEATER AE-125 NEW! - eBay (item 110425756066 end time Aug-25-09 15:22:29 PDT)

The biggest drawback is that it will take some electrical and plumbing work to put it in. I'd like to get one, but I'll need to put in two more breakers (if the panel can handle it) and two more power lines to install it. :ohwell:

My best friend's has never worked right, because of the variable nature of the water coming in from the pump (he has a well, just as a lot of us do). You don't always get a constant flow of water, so his showers are always a mix of cold and hot water. He hates it.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent

That's the one we got from Lowes two years ago. :shrug: Is your house old or newer?

My best friend's has never worked right, because of the variable nature of the water coming in from the pump (he has a well, just as a lot of us do). You don't always get a constant flow of water, so his showers are always a mix of cold and hot water. He hates it.

That's strange. My showers stay hot the whole time while I was taking shower. I don't have a well. We use city water provided by the METCOM.

Honestly, I don't have any problem with my tankless water heater, and it's almost 2 years now. :shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
That's the one we got from Lowes two years ago. :shrug: Is your house old or newer?
I guess it's getting close to 10 years old.

That's strange. My showers stay hot the whole time while I was taking shower. I don't have a well. We use city water provided by the METCOM.
That gives you very constant pressure/flow.

I will say that I've never noticed flow inconsistencies in the shower, so I don't think that would be an issue for me, but I guess I do need to keep that in mind. Sounds like it is really an issue with the switch that turns on the heater when it senses water flow. Too sensitive and it will turn on when there is no flow. Too insensitive and it turns off when there is flow (like SamSpade's friend's issue).

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
I guess it's getting close to 10 years old.

That gives you very constant pressure/flow.

I will say that I've never noticed flow inconsistencies in the shower, so I don't think that would be an issue for me, but I guess I do need to keep that in mind. Sounds like it is really an issue with the switch that turns on the heater when it senses water flow. Too sensitive and it will turn on when there is no flow. Too insensitive and it turns off when there is flow (like SamSpade's friend's issue).

Ah, that's makes sense.

Cowgirl

Respectfully,
Jiggles

Did you happen to read the Everyday Cheapskate article by Mary Hunt? I just read it today and someone mentioned they saved $50 on their electric bill by doing this. They set it for 5-8 AM and 8-10 PM.

I think it'd be fairly simple to do, and if it really saves that much it'd be great! I wonder about weekends though. I'd like to have hot water all day on the weekends, because who knows when I'll need to do dishes or something. I think 5-8 AM would let us get showers in the morning, and we'd probably do like 5-10 PM or something. I wonder if that would save as much?

I'm sure it would save something, because instead of the heaters having to cycle on all the time to keep that constant temp, you're getting several hours of energy use savings.

ylexot

Super Genius
Did you happen to read the Everyday Cheapskate article by Mary Hunt? I just read it today and someone mentioned they saved $50 on their electric bill by doing this. They set it for 5-8 AM and 8-10 PM.

I think it'd be fairly simple to do, and if it really saves that much it'd be great! I wonder about weekends though. I'd like to have hot water all day on the weekends, because who knows when I'll need to do dishes or something. I think 5-8 AM would let us get showers in the morning, and we'd probably do like 5-10 PM or something. I wonder if that would save as much?

I'm sure it would save something, because instead of the heaters having to cycle on all the time to keep that constant temp, you're getting several hours of energy use savings.

I did a search and found this:
ASAP -- Energy Saving Programmable Water Heater Timers

They say that they are the only programmable timer...which surprises the hell out of me.

C

CalvertNewbie

We have the same issue here with our Bosch, we're also on a well. It's usually ok but every so often, the water goes cold for about 3 minutes, then turns warm again. It can be a real pita! It was here when we moved in so I can't comment on utility bill savings.

One thing to consider. We had a major issue getting someone out for repairs on it about a year ago. There are apparently no authorized Bosch service companies in the area, closest was somewhere in VA & they wouldn't come all the way here. The companies who work on standard hot water heaters wouldn't touch this one. Hubby had to order parts through Bosch & get walked through the repairs over the phone. Although he's very handy & we are DIYers, we normally leave anything involving gas lines to the professionals. Not an option with this. Just an fyi.

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!

ylexot

Super Genius
Intermatic EH40 Water Heater Timer 240 vac - Timers - Indoor & Outdoor

Here is one that can be set at 6 different points per day; 7 days a week. This is the one I've been eying up. 70 bucks....it looks it it's designed to stay in the water closet...definitely not as pretty as the ASAP.

Nice! I'll probably pick one of those up. I see that they also have a 120V version (I'm pretty sure my water heater is 120V...need to double check).

BTW, the reason the mechanical ones are no good is the weekends. I tend to sleep in/take a little longer to get a shower. Plus I might need hot water for laundry, dishes, etc throughout the day. So, I'd like to have hot water full time on the weekends.

Nice! I'll probably pick one of those up. I see that they also have a 120V version (I'm pretty sure my water heater is 120V...need to double check).

BTW, the reason the mechanical ones are no good is the weekends. I tend to sleep in/take a little longer to get a shower. Plus I might need hot water for laundry, dishes, etc throughout the day. So, I'd like to have hot water full time on the weekends.

Where's my violin......

Ah, here it is.. :wah:

:lol: I've found the tank stays surprisingly hot for a long time after you cut off power. I've taken hot showers (120* setting on the tank) at least 24 hours after power loss and it was fine. A good thermal blanket helps. Once you introduce cold water into the tank, then it cools more quickly.

Try it sometime to get a baseline. Turn off the power and see how long it takes to become too cool to use. Then turn it on and see how long it takes to recover. Then you can set your kick-back thermostat knowing you're covered.

Last edited:

jsouthan

I love Everyday Cheapskate! I just finished reading today's issue actually. I wonder if you could pair the timer with the insulating blanket and if the blanket would allow the HWH to retain enough heat throughout the day for you to be able to wash whatever you needed without needing to leave it on for the weekend (or the occasional day that you are home). Not sure if it's insulating properties are enough for 10 hours or so, but that might make it worth it. If it is keeping the water warm enough that the HWH doesn't have to work so hard when the timer turns it back on. Hmmmm...