If you're planning on buying a new appliance ...

soon, you might want to wait.

Program to Offer Appliance Rebates - WSJ.com

CHICAGO -- Appliance manufacturers are counting on a "cash for clunkers"-type rebate program to revive slumping sales of refrigerators, washing machines and dishwashers.

Beginning late this fall, federal rebates will be available for purchasers of high-efficiency household appliances, furnaces and air-conditioning systems. Congress authorized $300 million for the program earlier this year as part of the federal economic-stimulus bill.

After seeing the recent surge in new-car orders attributed to the federally funded clunkers program, appliance industry executives are hoping to lure consumers back into appliance store showrooms with rebates that are expected to reach $200 on some types of appliances.

Appliances covered by the program include dishwashers, washing machines and refrigerators. They must carry Energy Star ratings, indicating they meet energy-efficiency standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy. To qualify for rebates, buyers won't have to trade in older, less-efficient models, which is a key component of the car program. Appliances made by companies based overseas will be eligible for the rebates if they have the Energy Star label.

The funding is coming from the Federal government, but the states will apparently be determining the details of and administering the program.

C

czygvtwkr

Awesome I've been thinking about buying a new fridge and dishwasher!

Thread made me think of a question I fielded concerning extended warranties on things.

I advise to not buy the extended warranty. If you have that little faith in the product maybe you shouldn't buy it to begin with.

Having said that, homes need maintenance, cars break down, appliances wear out. These are facts of life. If you need a warranty for added comfort, instead put the money in an account and "self insure." If you never use the money it is still yours. Win/Win.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Why not Whirlpool? My stove and dishwasher are 25 years old and refuse to die!

:yeahthat:

I've always had good luck with Whirlpool/Kenmore. When I need replacements I look at those first.

My almost 2 years old front loader washing machine is a Whirlpool and I'm having problems with it already. They took 7 weeks to come out to fix the issue, and they finally came out last Monday. Guess what? The part is broken again and I haven't even touched it or used the washing machine. :tantrum: Now, I have to wait until they decide to come back again to fix it. Seriously, the Whirlpool products are fine, but it is the Service Tech. that takes forever to come out to fix the problem.

I don't have any problem with Kenmore products. :yay:

punjabigyrl

My almost 2 years old front loader washing machine is a Whirlpool and I'm having problems with it already. They took 7 weeks to come out to fix the issue, and they finally came out last Monday. Guess what? The part is broken again and I haven't even touched it or used the washing machine. :tantrum: Now, I have to wait until they decide to come back again to fix it. Seriously, the Whirlpool products are fine, but it is the Service Tech. that takes forever to come out to fix the problem.

I don't have any problem with Kenmore products. :yay:

I have a friend that repairs washers and dryers and he said, that front loaders ALWAYS has problems. Everyone that has bought a front loader washer and dryer has had some prolem or another.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You think I could replace my energy guzzling 32" tube tv for a 46" 240 Hz LED model under this program?

You think I could replace my energy guzzling 32" tube tv for a 46" 240 Hz LED model under this program?

:lol: Good Luck! I know the high-end LCDs and Plasmas actually use MORE energy than a CRT.

I just got a 47" 120Hz LCD. Couldn't justify the cost for an LED, and I'm not sure I really like the picture on them. Too intense.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
I have a friend that repairs washers and dryers and he said, that front loaders ALWAYS has problems. Everyone that has bought a front loader washer and dryer has had some prolem or another.

Does your friend work for VIA Company? If so, he's SLACKING! It's been 2 months that my washing machine has been out of service! :jameo:

I never had a problem with my old front loaders washer and dryer. I think it depends on the products. Kenmore had never gave me any problem. Whirlpool craps out too easily.

C

czygvtwkr

99% of dryers out there are front loaders.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!

That would be AWESOME! Especially if they came by to pick up the heavy monsters and drop off the new for free! My 36" RCA will only get moved one more time by me and that is only if it ever dies!