Trees down all over my yard

Thank you Kerwin Landscaping and Tree Service!!!!!!

Dymphna called 6 tree companies yesterday late afternoon to set up appointments for quotes to get a bunch of trees cut. Jeff's Tree Service called back a bit after 5 last evening. We got a quote from Jeff's Tree Service at 9:00 this morning and were happy with the quote. Kerwin, who was called today for a quote (see below) came out later and came in 30% higher than Jeff's quote, but there was 1 more tree to come down than what Jeff's quoted us on. The reason for the higher quote is that Kerwin was going to bring in a bucket truck to take down 2 trees from the top down because they were dangerous in relation to the house. So, even at the higher price, we were OK with Kerwin's quote and were seriously considering them. Then to put icing on the cake, Kerwin called this afternoon and said that they had gotten a job in Hughesville and would not have to charge the fuel fee to bring the bucket truck and thus would match Jeff's quote provided we were ready to get it done today.

They started at 5:30 tonight and were gone at 7:00.

Excellent service. Excellent customer service. We called for a quote at 9:30-10:00 this morning. Kerwin called back about 11:00 and was here before noon to give a quote. No way, no how was I expecting to be able to have 9 trees cut down the same day we got a quote, but I did. If I ever have to get more trees cut down, Kerwin will get the call.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I would like to add that Jeff was here for about 5 minutes giving his quote, which is why he missed seeing one of the trees huntr marked to be taken down. I hadn't looked, when he was marking trees, so I didn't realize there was one not visible from the house. Jeff didn't go up the hill into our yard.

Kerwin spend a good 15-20 minutes walking around the yard checking the angles and seeing where he could drop the trees. He also told me that most of the trees were dying because of carpenter ants and recommended a treatment to prevent them from infecting more trees.

When he called to say he would give us a deal, if he could do it today, it hadn't started raining yet. He came anyway despite the storms in the area. Fortunately the rain held down to a drizzle while he was here and they got it knocked out.

Dymphna

Oh, I forgot, one thing that Jeff and Kerwin both commented on while they were here was that they have found that their competition often doesn't return phone calls. So, I would like to add that in addition to Jeff and Kerwin, Newton's Tree Service also called us back, but it was about 2 minutes after I'd told Kerwin to do the job, which was roughly 22 hours after I left Newton a message.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kerwin is one of our sponsors and he's the greatest guy - glad they did a good job for you!

Vince

Oh, I forgot, one thing that Jeff and Kerwin both commented on while they were here was that they have found that their competition often doesn't return phone calls. So, I would like to add that in addition to Jeff and Kerwin, Newton's Tree Service also called us back, but it was about 2 minutes after I'd told Kerwin to do the job, which was roughly 22 hours after I left Newton a message.
Did they grind the stumps or just take the whole thing?

bohman

Kerwin is one of our sponsors and he's the greatest guy - glad they did a good job for you!

Did a great job for me last year, too. Big oak tree in a tight spot between my house and my neighbor, and only 3 feet from my house. Plus a hill that challenged their bucket truck. No damage done to either house, except for some torn up grass which they came back and fixed with a tiller and seed a few days later.

And he does call back quickly when you leave a message.

Dymphna

Did they grind the stumps or just take the whole thing?
We only asked them to drop the trees. They didn't cut anything up, didn't remove the branches or grind the stumps. That was specifically per our request. They would have done all that if we'd wanted, but we were looking to save some money and Huntr and my Dad are perfectly capable of doing all that.

OldHillcrestGuy

I was in the hood yesterday and saw that the trees were down all over the place. Told son they were down and he was surprised, cause he passed the trucks coming in when he went out for the evening and it was late in the day. I'll tell him about Kerwin's when he's ready to take out his 8 to 10 trees.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
We only asked them to drop the trees. They didn't cut anything up, didn't remove the branches or grind the stumps. That was specifically per our request. They would have done all that if we'd wanted, but we were looking to save some money and Huntr and my Dad are perfectly capable of doing all that.

I know this is an old thread but it seems like many forumites are recommending Kerwins's as I do my search here. So I'll be calling them today or tomorrow to get an estimate.

We need some trees taken down, just dropped in the woods, and hubby/friends will cut lots of wood for the firepit. So it's safe for me to assume that just having them drop the trees will save a pretty substantial amount? We're getting tired of replacing fence section after fence section, although we're thankful our house and shed have been pretty much spared....so far.

Dymphna

I know this is an old thread but it seems like many forumites are recommending Kerwins's as I do my search here. So I'll be calling them today or tomorrow to get an estimate.

We need some trees taken down, just dropped in the woods, and hubby/friends will cut lots of wood for the firepit. So it's safe for me to assume that just having them drop the trees will save a pretty substantial amount? We're getting tired of replacing fence section after fence section, although we're thankful our house and shed have been pretty much spared....so far.
I don't know how much it saved. We just didn't see the point in having them do something that hubby was perfectly capable of doing himself. Every penny counts.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I don't know how much it saved. We just didn't see the point in having them do something that hubby was perfectly capable of doing himself. Every penny counts.

Ya got that right! Hubby and one of his buddies took down a couple of trees yesterday and cut up a few that had recently fallen. Some are just way too tall and/or close to the shed, fence or house. Whatever we can do ourselves, we do. Wish we were independently wealthy but we're not. :howdy:

What's a good ballpark for downing a tall tree? Way too tall to do without equipment...

It really depends on the diameter, length, what's around it (that it can fall into), etc... half the battle is getting the equipment out there so the first tree is kinda expensive and after that it is like a $100 or so additional to fall additional trees.

From what I hear, right around $500 (give or take) seems to be a good starting point for the first tree - but prices do vary. Just make sure whoever does the work has the proper insurance.