Decorating ideas for my kitchen?

Cowgirl

Now that fall is just around the corner :)yahoo:) and outside projects are slowing down, I'd like to spend some time inside getting things done. My kitchen is seriously bugging me, because of course it's painted with awful flat paint. Every splatter soaks in, and when you wash it off you wash the paint off with it. :doh: I need to do something behind my stove. And I need window treatments.

I found some paint at Lowes that had been returned and it was cheap! Only $5, and I really like the color. It's a Martha Stewart kind of aqua (like the background of her webpage). I was going to use it for our bedroom, but now I wonder if I should use it for the kitchen. I kinda like the vintage/cottage/farm house look, but I'm not sure how to bring it all together.

Also, just off the kitchen is the mud room, which I plan to paint a wheat color, and I already have some burgundy accent colored things (like a lamp, rug, painting, etc). Will the aqua clash horribly? I want the kitchen to be bright and colorful.

Also, the windows. What type of curtain would look best? A valence? I have the two windows over the sink and also a single window on the side wall. Should I make the curtains over the sink go all the way over to the cabinets on either side? :shrug: Should I just hang something over the windows like normal? It'd be nice to come up with something new, not just the same old thing.

And back to the walls, should I just paint behind the stove? It doesn't seem like there's enough room to do something just behind the stove because of the microwave over the stove. So I was thinking of doing something like a backsplash but down the length of that entire wall. Good idea or not?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC06282.jpg
    DSC06282.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC06283.jpg
    DSC06283.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 165
  • QA6909748_2.jpg
    QA6909748_2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 148
  • QA6909748_7.jpg
    QA6909748_7.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 148

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Now that fall is just around the corner :)yahoo:) and outside projects are slowing down, I'd like to spend some time inside getting things done. My kitchen is seriously bugging me, because of course it's painted with awful flat paint. Every splatter soaks in, and when you wash it off you wash the paint off with it. :doh: I need to do something behind my stove. And I need window treatments.

I found some paint at Lowes that had been returned and it was cheap! Only $5, and I really like the color. It's a Martha Stewart kind of aqua (like the background of her webpage). I was going to use it for our bedroom, but now I wonder if I should use it for the kitchen. I kinda like the vintage/cottage/farm house look, but I'm not sure how to bring it all together.

Also, just off the kitchen is the mud room, which I plan to paint a wheat color, and I already have some burgundy accent colored things (like a lamp, rug, painting, etc). Will the aqua clash horribly? I want the kitchen to be bright and colorful.

Also, the windows. What type of curtain would look best? A valence? I have the two windows over the sink and also a single window on the side wall. Should I make the curtains over the sink go all the way over to the cabinets on either side? :shrug: Should I just hang something over the windows like normal? It'd be nice to come up with something new, not just the same old thing.

And back to the walls, should I just paint behind the stove? It doesn't seem like there's enough room to do something just behind the stove because of the microwave over the stove. So I was thinking of doing something like a backsplash but down the length of that entire wall. Good idea or not?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I think I'd be scared to paint my kitchen aqua. Our kitchens are super similar but my counters connect from one end to the other and my counter tops are darker. For color I think a sage or butter yellow would look good. You have plenty of cabinet space so take the utensil thing off the counter and put them in a drawer. I have matching baskets with liners on the counter, a big one for snacks, chips, etc and another that I rolled up and put the hand towels and wash cloths in, close to the sink for easy access. We also have a small 1 gallon fish tank with a couple gold fish on the counter for cute factor.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I think I'd be scared to paint my kitchen aqua.
:yeahthat: Especially such a big kitchen. I like aqua as an accent color, though. If it were me, I'd pull out one of the lighter shades from the countertops and use that on the walls.

Cowgirl

You have plenty of cabinet space so take the utensil thing off the counter and put them in a drawer.

I only put the wooden spoons in that. The utensil drawer is so packed I hate searching for the wooden spoons (my favorite to cook with). I definitely need to get rid of that old blue crock thing though and get something new.

:yeahthat: Especially such a big kitchen. I like aqua as an accent color, though. If it were me, I'd pull out one of the lighter shades from the countertops and use that on the walls.

Hmm..so no aqua. That's ok, because I really like that color for the bedroom. But what should I do on the wall behind the stove? Just paint it?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Just remember that whatever color that you pick when looking at a color strip card it will be approximately two shades darker once it dries. I learned this last year and it is true. Also I believe Sherwin Williams.com has an online program you can use to try different colors to aid in your decision.

R

remaxrealtor

I would have agreed a few weeks ago, but I have shown some homes lately that have an aqua kitchen and are MOST attractive. One had red accents and I was shocked by how much i liked it!

For the window over my sink, I bought a tension rod in stainless and put between the cabinets and a little way out for curtains. I've also seen a pot rack in that spot that looks neat.

Backsplash...I did a knock down with putty, painted it with washable kitchen paint and the antiqued it with a glaze. It looks great, easy to clean and we get a ton of compliments!

smilin

BOXER NATION
Think twice about painting the cabinets. I believe those are Maple, which are gorgeous. My kitchen is similar except the counters are a dark blue marble. We painted the walls a grey/blue and it turned out nicely.

Cowgirl

Think twice about painting the cabinets. I believe those are Maple, which are gorgeous. My kitchen is similar except the counters are a dark blue marble. We painted the walls a grey/blue and it turned out nicely.

Are maple cabinets expensive? Because if so, they're probably not maple. I think the guy who re-did the house didn't pick expensive things for it...like the flat paint and bare bones appliances.

I just think painted cabinets would really brighten the room.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Are maple cabinets expensive? Because if so, they're probably not maple. I think the guy who re-did the house didn't pick expensive things for it...like the flat paint and bare bones appliances.

I just think painted cabinets would really brighten the room.
I think your kitchen looks great the way it is CG. That's a large kitchen!! I like it!

Do NOT paint those cabinets!! they look fine.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I think your kitchen looks great the way it is CG. That's a large kitchen!! I like it!

Do NOT paint those cabinets!! they look fine.

I agree, If anything you might consider refinishing them with a different color stain. Once you paint wood it is a bear to strip and repaint or restore. Also white or light colored painted cabinents show every dirty fingerprint, smudge, grease splatter etc.

T

toppick08

I agree, If anything you might consider refinishing them with a different color stain. Once you paint wood it is a bear to strip and repaint or restore. Also white or light colored painted cabinents show every dirty fingerprint, smudge, grease splatter etc.

Not with leaded paint..........:whistle:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Also white or light colored painted cabinents show every dirty fingerprint, smudge, grease splatter etc.
So you wipe them off. :eyebrow: Just because you can't see fingerprints and grease splatter on darker cabinets doesn't mean they're not there. Just wipe the cabinets down daily as you would the countertops. :shrug:

CG, you should decorate your kitchen however you want to. If you want white cabinets, you go for it. It's much cheaper to slap a coat of paint on cabinets you don't like than it is to have them replaced.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
So you wipe them off. :eyebrow: Just because you can't see fingerprints and grease splatter on darker cabinets doesn't mean they're not there. Just wipe the cabinets down daily as you would the countertops. :shrug:

CG, you should decorate your kitchen however you want to. If you want white cabinets, you go for it. It's much cheaper to slap a coat of paint on cabinets you don't like than it is to have them replaced.

I agree with that as well. It's her house and her choice. I was just expressing my personal opinion. I personally love hard woods so to each their own I am sure she will end up with a wonderfull new kitchen when they are done.

Cowgirl

I don't really know what I want at this point. I see pictures of kitchens I love, and usually the cabinets are white. :lol: I know it will be lots of white with white appliances, but I'll bring in color with curtains, etc. I'm just looking for ideas because I'm very indecisive and can't figure out how to get where I want to be.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I don't really know what I want at this point. I see pictures of kitchens I love, and usually the cabinets are white. :lol: I know it will be lots of white with white appliances, but I'll bring in color with curtains, etc. I'm just looking for ideas because I'm very indecisive and can't figure out how to get where I want to be.

My last house had painted white cabinets, white appliances (although the stove was a black flat top but the face was white) and wine/cranberry colored walls and I thought it was very cute. I like painted cabinets.