rir's wont lay

ve2dict

so i got some rir's from the farmers market about 6 monthes ago. at the ime they were supposed to be about 4 monthes old. i feed them a laying crumble and give them water everyday i built them nesting boxes and filled them with pine shavings. no sign of them laying yet. any ideas?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

They're roosters?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

They're roosters?

That's what I'm thinkin..

ve2dict

they were sold to me as hens (pullets actually) and they look like hens. and if there were 4 roosters i would think they would probably be fighting each other, and none of them crow

D

dems4me

they were sold to me as hens (pullets actually) and they look like hens. and if there were 4 roosters i would think they would probably be fighting each other, and none of them crow

Sometimes they dont lay the eggs in their boxes, often you'll find them in other areas... have you looked aruond really good for other places they could be laying the eggs? Also are they molting (looking a big shabby)? Sometimes they dont lay when molting. RIR's are beautiful birds!! :buddies:

ve2dict

yeah i really enjoy having them(wis they would give me some eggs) and they are really friendly. i have seen where they spread out the pine shavings and kinda made a hole in them to sit in....but no eggs yet. i was considering sells them but i think ill just wait it out....do you think it would help if i put a normal egg in there or got a allrdy laying rir to show them what to do or something? just an idea

Micki

yeah i really enjoy having them(wis they would give me some eggs) and they are really friendly. i have seen where they spread out the pine shavings and kinda made a hole in them to sit in....but no eggs yet. i was considering sells them but i think ill just wait it out....do you think it would help if i put a normal egg in there or got a allrdy laying rir to show them what to do or something? just an idea

I always feed my chickens the "laying mesh" from Stauffer's feedmill in Loveville. That's the bomb! You won't know what to do with all the eggs they'll be laying. Some of the chickens sometimes laid 2 eggs a day.

Cowgirl

Are they free-ranging or cooped? If they're ranging, then I'm sure they're laying somewhere hidden. And chickens don't need to be showed how to lay, it's natural. Not sure what the issue is if they're cooped up and not free-ranging.

ve2dict

they are cooped. i think im gonna just have to wait it out longer. not like they are expensive to maintain. so if they dont lay eggs in a few monthes then ill just have to eat them

Cowgirl

they are cooped. i think im gonna just have to wait it out longer. not like they are expensive to maintain. so if they dont lay eggs in a few monthes then ill just have to eat them

Do you think any of them are eating the eggs? I've got one now that does it, and she's toast very soon.

ve2dict

i have heard of that happening. i dont think they are i check on them daily. never see them brooding or anything. they just seem content to eat and sleep

Cowgirl

i have heard of that happening. i dont think they are i check on them daily. never see them brooding or anything. they just seem content to eat and sleep

Can you post some pictures of them? Are they getting enough light in their coop? Do you have windows or artificial light?