Walmart set to crush the competetion

dn0121

boo hiss boo Walmart's Project Impact: A Move to Crush Competition - Yahoo! News

Walmart loves to shock and awe. City-size stores, absurdly low prices ($8 jeans!) and everything from milk to Matchbox toys on its shelves. And with the recession forcing legions of stores into bankruptcy, the world's largest retailer now apparently wants to take out the remaining survivors.
Thus, the company is in the beginning stages of a massive store and strategy remodeling effort, which it has dubbed Project Impact. One goal of Project Impact is cleaner, less cluttered stores that will improve the shopping experience. Another is friendlier customer service. A third: home in on categories where the competition can be killed. "They've got Kmart ready to take a standing eight-count next year," says retail consultant Burt Flickinger III, managing director for Strategic Resources Group and a veteran Walmart watcher. "Same with Rite Aid. They've knocked out four of the top five toy retailers, and are now going after the last one standing, Toys "R" Us. Project Impact will be the catalyst to wipe out a second round of national and regional retailers." (See 10 things to buy during the recession.) .....

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I read that earlier, and thought about Demolition Man...Taco Bell won the restaurant wars. Will there be a day when the only place we have to buy clothes, food, medications, tires, oil changes, etc; is Wal Mart? What about the only restaurant? Will it be Taco Bell, serving sushi? Will we all drive the same car? Live in tenements and have our every move recorded?

Demolition Man

What other futuristic movies come to mind?

Life, imitating art.

Scary thought, isn't it?

dn0121

I read that earlier, and thought about Demolition Man...Taco Bell won the restaurant wars. Will there be a day when the only place we have to buy clothes, food, medications, tires, oil changes, etc; is Wal Mart? What about the only restaurant? Will it be Taco Bell, serving sushi? Will we all drive the same car? Live in tenements and have our every move recorded?

Demolition Man

What other futuristic movies come to mind?

Life, imitating art.

Scary thought, isn't it?

Will it be impossible for Vrai to find her steamer bags. Find out when a Walmart Project Impact store comes to a city near you.

Mama_Mia08

No way in hell they can "improve the shopping experience" with the weirdos that shop there.. its great entertainment though and you dont even have to buy anything!

People of Walmart - hilarious
:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme :jerry::jerry::jerry:

Yea, great fun until one of their offspring (trying to be nice) runs a cart into your kid. It cut the back of her ankle. The mother said nothing even after she looked at my daughter who was telling me how much it hurt. I guess her herd was too big for her to handle. Ugh! That was the last time I stepped foot in there. I know she could have kicked my a** and I wasn't about to take her on but in my head I was telling her what a low life scum bag she was and how she should be jailed for having kids.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I rarely set foot in Walmart, and I prefer a real grocery store for food. However, HEB is pretty much the only game in town here in SoTX for food. :ohwell: They own Texas and I miss my nice new Safeway store back in MD. Half the time I can't get a freakin' baguette here! Just 500 kinds of tortillas :jameo:

Mama_Mia08

I rarely set foot in Walmart, and I prefer a real grocery store for food. However, HEB is pretty much the only game in town here in SoTX for food. :ohwell: They own Texas and I miss my nice new Safeway store back in MD. Half the time I can't get a freakin' baguette here! Just 500 kinds of tortillas :jameo:

OMG...we have family outside of Austin and when visiting them trips to HEB is almost a daily thing. I thought it was a nice store compared to some around here. It reminded me of ACME.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Will it be impossible for Vrai to find her steamer bags.

:war:

I'm not real worried about Wal-Mart taking over. While I do buy t-shirts and such at Wal-Mart, I don't buy my jeans or real clothes there no matter how cheap they are. Nor am I a huge fan of their produce dept. - Shoppers is all over that. So as long as there are people like me who need real stores, there will be real stores to provide for us.

dn0121

Im happy too with Shoppers. The past five or six times I have been there they have opened up a new lane each time there were more than three people in line. When I first read those signs I was like yeah right, but they kept to it.