Graveyard at San Souci Shopping Center

LadyCoyote

My inquiring mind is curious about the graveyard at the San Souci. There is a small plot of land that is fenced in, right next to the Dollar Tree. There are graves there! Good grief! I did a doubletake...gotta know! Who knows the story about this? Please share... I'm thinking that's mighty
B-I-Z-A-R-R-E !!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I'm sure there's a good reason why there are gravestones and apparently dead people between Dollar Tree and Fashion Bug.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
My inquiring mind is curious about the graveyard at the San Souci. There is a small plot of land that is fenced in, right next to the Dollar Tree. There are graves there! Good grief! I did a doubletake...gotta know! Who knows the story about this? Please share... I'm thinking that's mighty
B-I-Z-A-R-R-E !!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I'm sure there's a good reason why there are gravestones and apparently dead people between Dollar Tree and Fashion Bug.

The family that owned the land and sold it for the shopping center.... It's pretty cool if you ask me.

BlueOx77

According to the Maryland Historical Trust, the cemetery was used by the Hammett family from 1829 to 1874, on what was called the RK Farm. The ancestors and developer Larry Millison made sure it wasn't moved when the shopping center was built in 1987 or so.

Purplefox

I AM an enigma
According to the Maryland Historical Trust, the cemetery was used by the Hammett family from 1829 to 1874, on what was called the RK Farm. The ancestors and developer Larry Millison made sure it wasn't moved when the shopping center was built in 1987 or so.

Probably closer to 84-85, if my memory serves me. My ex azz, a-hem, I mean ex hubby was working for Millison at the time as a foreman on that project. He (my ex) was part of 4 people who found the graves. That is why the stores dip back like that.... they had to re-design as not to disturb the grave sites.

Rumor (yes, I said RUMOR) at the time was Millison said "Doze em" when he was told about the find but the crew would not and threatened to tattle. Then the right thing was done.

sunmoonstars

members of the first Guy-Raley-Thompson-Bean family...

LadyCoyote

Probably closer to 84-85, if my memory serves me. My ex azz, a-hem, I mean ex hubby was working for Millison at the time as a foreman on that project. He (my ex) was part of 4 people who found the graves. That is why the stores dip back like that.... they had to re-design as not to disturb the grave sites.

Rumor (yes, I said RUMOR) at the time was Millison said "Doze em" when he was told about the find but the crew would not and threatened to tattle. Then the right thing was done.

Oh wow...that is interesting! I can see why the plaza dips back like that. Gawd, "doze 'em"....?! Glad the crew did a mutiny! Facinating bit of history. I love quirky things like this...Thanks for your reply about this bit of info.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!

There are little graveyards all around this area. In Waldorf right behind Pinefield Liquors, there is one on top of a little hill. When I lived in Golden Beach, I was driving around and came across a little graveyard right inbetween two houses. I walked into it and some of the graves dated back to the 1700's.

BuddyLee

Football addict
The family that owned the land and sold it for the shopping center.... It's pretty cool if you ask me.
Didn't hear that.

The lady at the historical society told me that the gravesite wasn't claimed by family members. The developers were nice enough to leave them there while they could have moved or built on top of them.

The graves are hard to read now but are at least 100+ in age.

BuddyLee

Football addict
There are little graveyards all around this area. In Waldorf right behind Pinefield Liquors, there is one on top of a little hill. When I lived in Golden Beach, I was driving around and came across a little graveyard right inbetween two houses. I walked into it and some of the graves dated back to the 1700's.
Found a bunch of graves from the 1800's back behind two large Oaks near Point Lookout. Only a handful of people know. It's a good 15-20 graves with wrought iron decorated fence. There are about 5-8 graves of children ranging from infant to 14 or so. Some of the graves are very neat indeed; willow tree's and poems inscribed into them.

We got some good stuff when my first investigating group found them. After that not so much. All in all a kickass place to investigate but there is risk involved. The grass is thick and about as tall as you and I. You also have to look out for Point Lookout Park Police as it's park property.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
Found a bunch of graves from the 1800's back behind two large Oaks near Point Lookout. Only a handful of people know. It's a good 15-20 graves with wrought iron decorated fence. There are about 5-8 graves of children ranging from infant to 14 or so. Some of the graves are very neat indeed; willow tree's and poems inscribed into them.

We got some good stuff when my first investigating group found them. After that not so much. All in all a kickass place to investigate but there is risk involved. The grass is thick and about as tall as you and I. You also have to look out for Point Lookout Park Police as it's park property.

We need to get together and go check out some places.

My parents just had a new home built in VA. By their house is a small cemetary surrounded by a tall iron fence with 3 headstones ( or 2 ) in the middle ... it is kept up by the Daughters of the American Revolution. Pretty neat too.