Mother Dog Gives Birth to 13 Puppies

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MASON CITY, Iowa - It was not your average doggy childbirth. A dog gave birth to 13 puppies in a delivery that started just before sunrise and went on for hours.

By early afternoon, Copenhagen's Star Hunter, "Star" to the family, lay surrounded by her 13 offspring.

Giggling and gently cradling a squirming pup, 7-year-old Rebecca Faught proudly proclaimed, "Star just kept having more and more and more."

Rebecca's parents, Tad and Lori, let her skip school Wednesday. Instead, the child got a hands-on science lesson - watching and helping the family's AKC registered yellow labrador give birth.

Resting in her makeshift maternity ward in the laundry room, "Star" kept a close watch over the pups - five black and eight yellow.

Labradors are noted for having large litters, according to veterinarian Jeffrey Cornick of Pioneer Animal Hospital, so "13 is a lot, but not extremely rare."

:shocking: That's a lot of puppies!

K

Kizzy

That is a lot of pups, but I'm sure the owner is happy.

$$$$$$$$$$$

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cmcdanal
I saw this article but thought

so who cares? Why did this make the news?

It happened in IOWA. What the heck else happens there?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
My Lab Daisy had 12 puppies once. I thought I'd died and gone to doggie heaven. :lol:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by jazz lady
It happened in IOWA. What the heck else happens there?

This is true.

Ever been there? Boooring!

My family went to Gettysburg several years ago. We went on a tour and while overlooking the battlefield, the guide started pointing out where several states' militias were during the battle. Someone asked about Iowa. The guide said that although they sent a detachment, it didn't arrive. My uncle, who is usually as sober as an Iowa judge (wait, he IS an Iowa judge) says, in his usual deadpan voice, "They came up to a tree and didn't know how to get around it."

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cmcdanal
My uncle, who is usually as sober as an Iowa judge (wait, he IS an Iowa judge) says, in his usual deadpan voice, "They came up to a tree and didn't know how to get around it."

:lmao:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by jazz lady
MASON CITY, Iowa - It was not your average doggy childbirth. A dog gave birth to 13 puppies in a delivery that started just before sunrise and went on for hours.

By early afternoon, Copenhagen's Star Hunter, "Star" to the family, lay surrounded by her 13 offspring.

Giggling and gently cradling a squirming pup, 7-year-old Rebecca Faught proudly proclaimed, "Star just kept having more and more and more."

Rebecca's parents, Tad and Lori, let her skip school Wednesday. Instead, the child got a hands-on science lesson - watching and helping the family's AKC registered yellow labrador give birth.

Resting in her makeshift maternity ward in the laundry room, "Star" kept a close watch over the pups - five black and eight yellow.

Labradors are noted for having large litters, according to veterinarian Jeffrey Cornick of Pioneer Animal Hospital, so "13 is a lot, but not extremely rare."

:shocking: That's a lot of puppies!
Might have to time share the teats.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by Sharon
I happened there. :bubble:

So did I.

And John Wayne Gacy was a Jaycee there too:biggrin:

The jerks in South Dakota tell us that IOWA stands for Idiots Out Wandering Around

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by IM4Change
That is a lot of pups, but I'm sure the owner is happy that now 13 other homeless dogs will be killed because they decided to continue breeding the smart right out of the Lab breed in their own back yard.

:rolleyes:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Hello6
South Dakota
I lived there (Rapid City) and still have family there. :lol:

I was born in Sioux City, how 'bout you?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Born in Rock Rapids (county seat of Lyon county) and grew up in the tiny little town of Alvord, population 202. Located in the Northwest corner of the state. Never ventured to Rapid City or much of anywhere other than Sioux Falls or Sioux City until I joined the Navy.