Muslim women get pig-free cosmetics

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"DUBAI (AFP) – For Muslim women who feel they are violating Islam's teachings by using skin creams with alcohol and pig residues, Layla Mandi has the answer: religiously-correct "halal" cosmetics.

The Canadian makeup artist who converted to Islam is marketing cosmetics called OnePure, which she says have the luxury feel of international brands minus the elements banned under Islamic law.

"There are pork derivatives and alcohol in most cosmetics products, so Muslims should really use something else," Mandi said.

From Islamic banking to alcohol-free hotels, products tagged as halal have become popular among devout Muslims -- who pray five times a day and perform other rituals.

Under the concept of halal -- which means "lawful" in Arabic -- pork and its by-products, alcohol and animals not slaughtered according to Koranic procedures are all forbidden.

Strict Muslims the world over only buy halal food but the market for halal cosmetics is still in its infancy in Asia and a mere novelty for Muslims in the Arab world.

Such products are not usually sold across the counter but can be bought on the Internet from online stores in Malaysia, Jordan and Britain."

More at source: Muslim women get pig-free cosmetics - Yahoo! News

Welcome to OnePure

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Good to see capitalism in action.

What would be the point of doing that if she still had the sell burgers in McDonalds to pay the rent?

punjabigyrl

Do Muslim women say things like "men are pigs"? If so, what are the religious implications? :lol:

Yes they do, no religious implications that I have seen or heard. One major point I'd like to ask is, If these women are praying 5 times a day why are you applying makeup. They'll just be washing it all off.

Last edited:

Starman3000m

Yes they do, no religious implications that I have seen or heard. One major point I'd like to ask is, If these women are praying 5 times a day why are you applying makeup. They'll just be washing it all off.

That's a real good question. The truly fundamental Islamic woman would also be expected to wear the complete face and body covering of a Burkha and not the hijab which is only a scarf. However, I don't think that the cosmetics company woiuld ever let on that Muslim women are to be totally covered and have the full cover over their head whereby they view out only through a mesh screen in front of the eyes. What? No eyeliner, no eye shadow, no colored contact lenses to be adorned with?

BTW: Bad news also for jewelry companies: Muslim women are not to wear any gold necklaces:

"The prophet (peace be upon him) said: Any woman who wears a gold necklace will have a similar one of fire put on her neck on the Day of the Resurrection, and any woman who puts a gold earring in her ear will have a similar one of fire put in her ear on the Day of Resurrection."
(Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 34, Number 4226, Narrated Asma' daughter of Yazid)

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
That's a real good question. The truly fundamental Islamic woman would also be expected to wear the complete face and body covering of a Burkha and not the hijab which is only a scarf. However, I don't think that the cosmetics company woiuld ever let on that Muslim women are to be totally covered and have the full cover over their head whereby they view out only through a mesh screen in front of the eyes. What? No eyeliner, no eye shadow, no colored contact lenses to be adorned with?

BTW: Bad news also for jewelry companies: Muslim women are not to wear any gold necklaces:

"The prophet (peace be upon him) said: Any woman who wears a gold necklace will have a similar one of fire put on her neck on the Day of the Resurrection, and any woman who puts a gold earring in her ear will have a similar one of fire put in her ear on the Day of Resurrection."

The clothing a Muslim women wears depends on her sect. I've seen women completely covered except for the face but with a black covering over the nose. I don't know what sect she belonged to but someone told me that that form of dress was adopted after the women had disguised themselves as men in order to fight in a battle in which they had saved their territory.

The burqa (which pre-dates Islam) is is not worn while indoors unless there are males present who are not relatives.

Many Muslim women do use cosmetics, perfumes and jewelry. Perfume is not normally used outside of the home. Much depends on what sect one belongs to and the geographical location where one resides. Ms Mandi is going to make a fortune.

I've worked in Lebanon, Israel, Bahrain and the UAE where, in the cities there are numerous stores or souks filled with jewelry and where it seemed the primary customers are Muslim women and tourists. Very few Muslim men.

One interesting note: In Abu Dhabi I observed one women roll back the sleeve of her burqa and remove two gold bracelets, the jeweler inspected them and handed her cash. She had about 20 bracelets on that arm.

Nucklesack

Well at least your consistent in pointing out "issues" with the Muslim Q'uran while ignoring those same "issues" in the Christian Bible.

Do you want to also post what the Bible says in respect to how a Woman is to act, what they are to wear, how they should maintain their hair?

Like verses are in both the OT and NT. Whether or not you follow them is more a function of the society you live in and whether or not you follow the verses as written

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

1. Most things women do make no sense to me.
2. What a market :yay: how much product will they sell if the costumers hare to use it 5 times a day