Speed Trap

It has nothing to do with safety, just generating revenue

Bull hockey.

I drive the section of 301 that is from 234 to La Plata's town center every day. There is at least one speed trap on both the northbound and southbound side each and every day at varying locations. The daily commuters have come to expect this and therefore drive accordingly each and every day. It's a very smooth, stress free and accident free commute.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Where is route 260? Not that it really matters...I usually go the speed limit...in the right lane, of course!

It's the road to Chesapeake/North Beach just as you come into the county on Route 4 (north end of the county). It crosses over 4.

They're there often...I call it the Welcome Wagon. :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
It's the road to Chesapeake/North Beach just as you come into the county on Route 4 (north end of the county). It crosses over 4.

They do give a lot of speeding tickets in this county...not complaining

frequentflier

happy to be living

Funny thing is -they are often right before you go over the bridge to St Mary's. So, I guess if they didn't get you coming in- they'll get you going out!

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Funny thing is -they are often right before you go over the bridge to St Mary's. So, I guess if they didn't get you coming in- they'll get you going out!

State Police get you at the bridge, they can go wherever they want.

frequentflier

happy to be living
State Police get you at the bridge, they can go wherever they want.

Sometimes it is the State Police; sometimes it is Calvert County Sheriff's. It makes me happy to see them nab people there because so many people disregard the 45 MPH speed limit that starts where the old Food Lion plaza is to the bridge.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Sometimes it is the State Police; sometimes it is Calvert County Sheriff's. It makes me happy to see them nab people there because so many people disregard the 45 MPH speed limit that starts where the old Food Lion plaza is to the bridge.

One time over the summer I saw the State Police sitting on the Calvert side getting people going into St. Mary's, and the Calvert police getting people speeding onto the Calvert side from the bridge. Had two State Trooper on the St. Mary's side with people stopped and three Sheriff's on the Calvert with people stopped. :lmao:

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
Now why did you spill the beans I love seeing people get speeding tickets. You are one of the drivers that flash your lights when you see a cop shooting radar.:geek:

Actually, I am...and so what are the reasons for the speed trap?

If you believe they are for a public safety issue, their presence (ie, officer
sitting in fold-up chair with radar gun while 5 deputies wait 100 yards
down the road) is meant to slow people down. So...do people slow
down if they know there is a speed trap? You betcha. I would
prefer if they did not give out speeding tickets...because it
means no one was speeding!

Or is it for revenue generating?

-H

glhs837

Power with Control
Or is it for revenue generating?

-H

Your missing the key, when you break it down into speeding vs revenue. The way to look at it is safety vs revenue. It slows folks down, and makes revenue. The point is, does it make us safer? Its high visibility, it generates citation numbers that the feds like to see when they give grants, makes the general public feel safer. Win win, really.

Now, how many accidents have there been in those spots that are directly tied to speed, instead of say failure to yield? Dont know, and its hard to say, becuase its soooo easy to just slap speed on the report as a contributing factor, so it gets misrepresented hugely as a real factor. when the NHTSA actually sent investigators to scenes, instead of just reading reports, they found that speed was actually very, very low on the list of accident causes.

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
Now, how many accidents have there been in those spots that are directly tied to speed, instead of say failure to yield? Dont know, and its hard to say, becuase its soooo easy to just slap speed on the report as a contributing factor, so it gets misrepresented hugely as a real factor. when the NHTSA actually sent investigators to scenes, instead of just reading reports, they found that speed was actually very, very low on the list of accident causes.

:yay:

Papi4baby

I just want to know when the next tailgating trap is going to be...

Or for that matter, the littering trap...

glhs837

Power with Control
I just want to know when the next tailgating trap is going to be...

Or for that matter, the littering trap...

Never gonna happen. Even if they see such an offense, theres no objective way to prove it, and it gets tossed in court, wasting the officers time, the citizens time, and the courts time.

Speeding, now thats easy, point the gun, be it LIDAR or Radar, log the speed, and move onto the next statistic.